Dummies and breast feeding

Discussion in 'Baby & Toddler' started by Lulabell, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Lulabell

Lulabell Well-Known Member

Is anyone breast feeding exclusively and using a dummy? How old was your little one when you introduced them to the dummy and did you have any problems getting them to latch on after?

I want to use a dummy to help settle josh at night in his Moses basket but he is under 2 weeks old. I'm worried about him not latching on properly after. We have had no issues so far with breast feeding.

Your experiences would be greatly appreciated.xx

2. pinkyprincess

pinkyprincess Well-Known Member

I used 1 and had a prob the next day but he was only a few days old. Today he was crying I tried 1 he wouldn't take it but he was hungry. Will poss try again in the future!

3. Princess81

Princess81 Well-Known Member

Cam had his dummy from 2 weeks old and is BF although he needed formula top ups in hospital. He's never had any latching problems x

4. traci

traci Well-Known Member

When I was BF Alice she had a dummy a night to settle her. Never had latch problems x

5. Lulabell

Lulabell Well-Known Member

Think I'll leave it a little bit longer then. HV said it's best recommended to leave til 4 weeks but if bf'ing fine then I could use it sooner.

6. pinkyprincess

pinkyprincess Well-Known Member

I know I did it too early and it spooked me lol!

7. Sarah13

Sarah13 Well-Known Member

Best to leave it until 4 weeks but not too much later as I now have the problem of Kynon using me as the comfort as he won't take a dummy

8. Lettie

Lettie Well-Known Member

Used a dummy with F from 2/3 weeks with no latch issues. She doesn't take a dummy reliably as it falls out v. Easily but its sometimes helpful. She'd.much rather have a finger to suck! LOL

9. Lisa_85

Lisa_85 Well-Known Member

I think Issac was about 2weeks as he was comforting on me, i tried the orthodontic teat buy he kept opening his mouth to wide so he took a cherry teat and no problem with latch after x

10. Alexandra84

Alexandra84 Well-Known Member

We bought a dummy for emergencies (eg. Hungry/upset baby in moving car) but we only used it from 11 weeks so obviously there were no latching issues by then :)