Breast/bottle feeding

jcox

Reaction score
Morning ladies,

I have a question about breast feeding. I would like to both breast feed and express so that my husband can bottle feed but I've heard that this causes nipple confusion?

Just wondered what the general consensus was for you guys, either what you new mums are planning to do or what mums have done with any of their other babies? If doing both is ok can I start doing that from birth or should I wait a while?

Thanks xxx

I was worried about this too, I've ordered some tommy tippee closer to nature bottles that are supposed to simulate a nipple and stop this happening. At the end of the day we can only give it a go, if it doesn't work then we have at least tried xxxxxxxx

I have found the earlier that I've introduced this the better

Dd was 4 week when she had expressed bottle and was fine

Theo was 1 week and he had expressed bottle he's now 5 weeks and takes both fine

My friend waited 3mth and her dd wouldn't touch a bottle

X

I got advised to wait a month before introducing a bottle so they get used to the nipple first!
xxxx

I think the official advice is 4weeks, but apparently nipple confusion is rare.

I had in the TT closer to nature bottles, and had to use the almost immediately cos I had to express due to latch problems. We're now using nipple shields.

But we had to use the bottles just a few days in. Xxx

My l/o was bf'd with formula top ups in hospital from birth and from day 5 was bf 'd and also took expressed milk from bottles. There was never any problem with confusion x

I had to introduce a bottle at just a few days as LO was in SCBU at first and needed top ups by bottle (formula) So far I am continuing to breastfeed but also giving bottle top ups - not really what I planned, but it's best for baby at this time. I am using the 'breast flow' bottles which simulate the breast, and so far so good as Emily is happy and able to take both bottle and breast.

hi girls, i'm going to solely breast feed but i have got bottles as a back up i've got the TT closer to nature ones, if i dont use them then thats good but i've got them in case i cant BF. i know hubby would like to feed harry but there are other ways in which daddy can help out like bath time! he's gonna love it

I'm the same so asked at the breasfeeding class and I was told aswell wait until around 4-6 weeks before introducing a bottle. I think I might try before this as I want my husband to be involved in feeding her too.
I was also told that if you start to express too early, your milk may dry up or there won't be the same amount as expressing doesn't get the same feeling as a baby so your body thinks you've stopped!! X x

in my antenatal class yesterday the advice was, just nipple for first 6 wks. if they dont latch on, u use a syringe or drinking cup with no teat.
It is two very different sucking actions, and if they use teats, they have to do less work and tend to eat more, thus stretching their stomachs unnecessarily.

She didnt say what happens after 6 wks but im assuming they will be confident in how to suck from nipples, so will not then get confused when bottles are introduced. I will try stick out the first 6 wks, then do mixture as i too want dad to do some of the feeds, especially at night

Thanks for all the advice girls. I have the TT closer to nature bottles too. I guess we won't really know what to do for the best until we give bf a try and see how we go!

Lordy why don't babies come with instructions? Lol!xxxx

Apparently NUK bottles are good as the teat is very nipple-like lol x

in my antenatal class yesterday the advice was, just nipple for first 6 wks. if they dont latch on, u use a syringe or drinking cup with no teat.
It is two very different sucking actions, and if they use teats, they have to do less work and tend to eat more, thus stretching their stomachs unnecessarily.

Seewhen G didnt latch i was using a syringe for first couple of days, but then mw said a syringe wouldnt keep up with her for long - and as they dont suck at all from that, and a bottle at least teaches some sucking.

I think if your intending to do bottle and breast make sure you get some of the bottles specificaly for that like TT closer to nature,

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back