breast and bottle feeding question

louears

Reaction score
when baby is born i really want to breast feed, hopefully we will succeed, but when i go out anywhere i am too shy to get my boobs out in public for a feed and was thinking of expressing some milk for our little outings, will this be ok, or will going from breast to bottle confuse my baby?

Oh get some Tommee Tippee closer to nature bottles (and the breast pump to match), there supposed to have teats shaped like the nipple as to not confuse baby. Thats what i'm going to do, as i want others to be able to feed her and spend time with her too :D

saz-jay said:
Oh get some Tommee Tippee closer to nature bottles (and the breast pump to match), there supposed to have teats shaped like the nipple as to not confuse baby. Thats what i'm going to do, as i want others to be able to feed her and spend time with her too :D
thank you so much for replying, i will have a look at these now, i too want OH to be able to feed baby too :hug: :hug:

It really does depend on baby, my eldest went from boob to bottle and back again no problem but my youngest got nipple confusion really easily and was a nightmare. With public feeding, after a while you'll be so good at breastfeeding you'll be able to do it without people realising - and it is miles easier then taking a bottle out, getting it warmed up etc (and that's without all the fun of expressing in the beginning too)

louears said:
when baby is born i really want to breast feed, hopefully we will succeed, but when i go out anywhere i am too shy to get my boobs out in public for a feed and was thinking of expressing some milk for our little outings, will this be ok, or will going from breast to bottle confuse my baby?

I'm hoping to do exactly the same, A girl I know did this and said they had no problems at all, and it gave OH a chance to feed- she also recommended the Tommee Tippee bottles.

beanie said:
It really does depend on baby, my eldest went from boob to bottle and back again no problem but my youngest got nipple confusion really easily and was a nightmare. With public feeding, after a while you'll be so good at breastfeeding you'll be able to do it without people realising - and it is miles easier then taking a bottle out, getting it warmed up etc (and that's without all the fun of expressing in the beginning too)
yeah i guess your right, and after showing all your glory to a room full of strangers in childbirth whats a bit of nipple in town :rotfl: i think i really need to have a good think about this :hug: thank you for replying

KittiKim said:
louears said:

I'm hoping to do exactly the same, A girl I know did this and said they had no problems at all, and it gave OH a chance to feed- she also recommended the Tommee Tippee bottles.
thats one of my main reasons, i really want OH to feed baby too, it is hard knowing what to do for the best sometimes

Atleast if baby takes to bottle and breast then you can get OH etc to feed and look after baby whilst you have a much needed rest :D

saz-jay said:
Atleast if baby takes to bottle and breast then you can get OH etc to feed and look after baby whilst you have a much needed rest :D
yeah thats true, and feeding is what they do a lot of and i really want him to feel part of it, i don't want OH feeling left out at all, i am going to give this a lot of thinking time

louears said:
saz-jay said:
yeah thats true, and feeding is what they do a lot of and i really want him to feel part of it, i don't want OH feeling left out at all, i am going to give this a lot of thinking time

Feeding isn't the only way to bond with baby though. My OH had the fun job of bathing them, which he loved as they would always have a laugh. Research has shown that feeding does not make a man bond with his baby, spending time does. It was bliss letting OH do the bath duty as it meant I got some time to myself before the next feed. OH also loved to carry our girls round in a sling. I have just asked him if he felt left out through me breastfeeding and he just laughed :roll:. He has always been a hands on dad and they are now both such daddy's girls, I joke the only reason I get a look in is because I have the boobs. If your OH really wants to feed then he can with a bottle of expressed milk, but this is recommended after 6 weeks so breastfeeding is fully established. It is obviously your choice to make but I just wanted to give it from the other side so to speak.

I plan on doing the same thing, so thanks for asking this question! :)

beanie said:
louears said:
saz-jay said:

Feeding isn't the only way to bond with baby though. My OH had the fun job of bathing them, which he loved as they would always have a laugh. Research has shown that feeding does not make a man bond with his baby, spending time does. It was bliss letting OH do the bath duty as it meant I got some time to myself before the next feed. OH also loved to carry our girls round in a sling. I have just asked him if he felt left out through me breastfeeding and he just laughed :roll:. He has always been a hands on dad and they are now both such daddy's girls, I joke the only reason I get a look in is because I have the boobs. If your OH really wants to feed then he can with a bottle of expressed milk, but this is recommended after 6 weeks so breastfeeding is fully established. It is obviously your choice to make but I just wanted to give it from the other side so to speak.
i know exactly what you are sayimg, this is my first, hence all the questions :lol: still trying to make up my mind, thank you so much for the advice though, i am now swaying towards no bottles at all

louears said:
Laurababs said:
I plan on doing the same thing, so thanks for asking this question! :)
it is not easy deciding is it

Its really not, i dont think ill stick with breast feeding for very long but i want to at least give it a try.

The best thing to do is get as much info as you can so that you're armed with all the info when the time comes to make a decision. You don't need to decide now, in fact I'd recommend you don't as each baby is different and you won't know till they are here what is best.

In terms of breastfeeding Beanie (bless her!) is totally right. Feeding in public is soooo easy once you've been doing it a few weeks. I've fed loads in cafes etc and no-one really notices and you learn all kinds of clever tricks to be discreet.

When it comes to your OH bonding with your baby, I know a lot of people worry about this and think that feeding is a good way to bond but it really isn't so important. My OH has never given either of our children a bottle and yet he dotes on them and they adore him. Calum "talks" so much to him and loves to see his face when he comes in from work. Remember that expressing isn't recommended till 6 weeks and even then not all mum's can manage it and also if you're not doing it regularly it can cause problems with supply etc.

But like I said to start with, you don't have to make a decision yet!!

Becky said:
The best thing to do is get as much info as you can so that you're armed with all the info when the time comes to make a decision. You don't need to decide now, in fact I'd recommend you don't as each baby is different and you won't know till they are here what is best.

In terms of breastfeeding Beanie (bless her!) is totally right. Feeding in public is soooo easy once you've been doing it a few weeks. I've fed loads in cafes etc and no-one really notices and you learn all kinds of clever tricks to be discreet.

When it comes to your OH bonding with your baby, I know a lot of people worry about this and think that feeding is a good way to bond but it really isn't so important. My OH has never given either of our children a bottle and yet he dotes on them and they adore him. Calum "talks" so much to him and loves to see his face when he comes in from work. Remember that expressing isn't recommended till 6 weeks and even then not all mum's can manage it and also if you're not doing it regularly it can cause problems with supply etc.
you make some really good points, you all do, so much to think about
But like I said to start with, you don't have to make a decision yet!!

Totaly agree with lots of the post and especialy Becky's :hug:

When I had Oli I had the tommie tippie range, the breast pump is great but please to anyone especialy first time mums do not (and make sure you keep this in your head ladies!) compare your pump flow to how much milk you are giving LO!!!

Its quite hard for lots fo women to express and you may only get a few (if your lucky) ozs off with the first few tries.

So bare that in mind!

Baby is best at getting that gold out of your boobies! :cheer:

I pumped when Oli was about 3 weeks old from what I remember, but I did it all of 3/4 times as I coudlnt be arsed in the end :rotfl: I rather get my tit out lol much quicker :lol:

Also OH never felt left out and we often cuddled togther while I was feeding (was lovely :D ) or he would take her for while I bathed or slept for an hour or so.

Now at the age of two she prefers him :roll: hes the fun one and absolutly adores her Daddy!!! :lol:

I only get "mommy" when she wants something :lol:

So as you can see it doesn't affect bonding at all and I breastfed her for over a year :D

If anyone wants any advice at all about bfing ect then please ask or pm me :hug:

hi there, i have a two yr old boy and he was breast fed for 10 1/2 months. breast feeding is def the easiest option and if ur lucky you will be able to breast feed no worries. in reguards to changing form breast to bottle its really up to your baby and how they deal with it. i was studying 2 days a week for 4 hours and expressed so that he still had boobie milk while i was gone. he did this no probelm. though my sister tried and ended up having to give up breast feeding because her baby had nipple confusion and preferred the bottle. she tried this from a very early age but when my son started this
he was 4 months old and very used to the breast (maybe that had something to do with why they get nipple confusion but not sure?!)
with being shy iam a very reserved person and at first when out and about i went into the mothers feeding room to feed. after a while it became very inconvenient and i started doing it in public (depending who i was with if it was my bro in law there was no way i would) anyways i did this very discretely and no one had a clue. and by that point i think i realised its natural and if anyone has a problem they can go jump.
i used to get jelous in the beginging when anyone else tried to feed seth,i found it to be how i bonded with him, it distinguished me from anyone else. he is my first born and everyone wanted a part of him so it was the only time him and i were really alone!
whatever u chose to do good luck! wait to see what happens when ur little one is born. your mothering instinct will kick in and youll know exactly what it is that you do and dont feel comfortable with Xx

becky is very right. arm yourself with as much information as you can, it will help you to relax a little.

but you dont have to make a decision yet. wait and see how u feel when the baby is born.you might find u chuck all that info out the window or it could come in handy.

you will do great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back