BLW

LilyMac

Reaction score
Ok so I started TLW (is that what it's called?!) about two months ago and Aiden could easily get the hang of movi things round his mouth and swallowing but after a few spoonfuls he'd get really mad and start screaming and spit it all out and refuse to eat so I stopped tring after a while and decided to wait to BLW.

I've been looking for Helen123's thread with all her recipes and meal plans in but I can't find it :( (so if anyone can get the link would be mucho appreciated!) so just looking for some fresh advice coa I can't remember everything from that!

I have no idea where to start, how much to give and when etc. I'm gonna start on Monday, see how it goes cos he does seem to be hungrier more so I'm thinking he's not getting enough from milk anymore.

Any advice muchly appreciated as I have NO clue!!!

You pretty much offer anything you're eating! Start with steamed carrots batons, broccoli etc and go from there. I'm doing a mixture of tw and blw, if I let Isla feed herself at every meal she wouldn't sleep through the night. She loves muffins at the moment!!

Emma x

We're gonna start BLW this week. We were trying TW but Oz was just refusing the spoon. We're giving him carrots and brocolli tonight, see what he makes of it!

I'm sure he will love it :). We've been combining TW and BLW but as he's got older have found ourselves leaning much further towards BLW - he's become a very independent eater and we have real problems with spoons now, he's practising doing it himself at the moment, very messy lol!

Helen's threads in parenting journals Hun. I do a mixture of tw and finger foods. He loves his finger foods but I give purée for tea cos I'm scared he won't get enough before bed x x

Just give him what u have. There us a good blw forum about aswll.
Remember tho that he will not eat as much as when spoonfeed.
Give him a few bits on the tray n let him play.
Noa scoffed everything in him mouth to start with so I learned to only give him a few bits n add mire if he wants.

Also, Noa sometimes hides food in his mouth n I have to have a feel before I lay him for a nap.
And remember gagging is very common and don't means he's choking. Sit on your hands as its scary to start with but u soon learn they will handle it n manage just fine xx

We are doing TW as it's what I know, freezer full of cubes of pureed meals to mix and match, but I plan to add finger foods or BLW (new to me) at lunchtimes when we turn 6 months, or after his meals maybee to play with the food ,so he's not too hungry and unhappy.

There is no right and wrong way to wean as far as I can see, try a few different ways , and make it work for you and your routene

Last edited:
Cheers girls, all useful info :) am so lucky to have you lot!! Am gonna go shopping on Sunday and get some things in to start on Monday! Ah it exciting!!!

I think it makes me eat healthier as he need good food :)

Lilymac, i could have wrote this thread myself. ive been pureeing food for like a month now. he started with some interest but now hes having next to nothing as hes just not interested. i gave him banana pureed the other day and no interest, then a couple of days later i just gave him a piece and he loved it cos he could do it himself ! very independent. terrified of him choking tho. so gonna have to be brave but i intend to start tomorrow if i can, his 6 months birthday. got no idea tho !!

hi guys
we just gave owen everything we had and as evelina said-makes us eat better!
sweet potato wedges, carrot batons, parsnip and swede batons, toast,avocado, banana were all good starters for us. cut into chip size shapes.

we got large plastic table cloth fromn the pound shop we which pop on the floor before mealtimes!

also there are handy blw forums out there for questions and recipes. the main book is by giill rapley and is def worth a read, i got it out of library. theres also a recipe book with ideas.

have fun! we had to totally sit on out hands with loads of gagging but worth it in the end and he never choked. sometimes has little coughing fits now if he stuffs too nuch in! but he's always able to sort it!

enjoy!

xx

Thanks again girls, I'm really looking forward to it now!!

Last night we gave oscar brocolli. I didn't want him to have carrot because OH cut it into the thin circles rather than wedge shaped. Anyways OH ended up trying to feed him a bit of carrot and oscar sucked it right back :shock: Sh*t my pants honestly lol This was after I'd told him you can't feed it to them!!

The brocolli was a hit though, even though it was over cooked and basically disintegrated in his hands lol

This morning he had some melon. He worries me though because he doesn't just bite a bit off he bites off a whole mouthful and honeslty I can't look lol I'm just waiting for having to grab him and hang him upside down. OH thinks it's funny I can't handle it when it was my idea to BLW lol

Good luck Lilymac it is lovely watching them enjoy it. Oz gets reeeeeally upset though because he's having trouble grabbing the food and then making it to his mouth without ddropping it and he gets really frustrated by it!

xxxx

Ab glad it went well! I'm really not looking forward to the gagging etc :( I think he'll be great at getting stuff in his mouth cos everything he picks up goes straight in already!
I'm really looking forward to it also can't wait to start eating healthy again myself!!

my effort didnt go so well. made him some carrot batons and he mushed them up lots but hardly any eating !! x

my effort didnt go so well. made him some carrot batons and he mushed them up lots but hardly any eating !! x

That's what happened with us and the brocolli. Most of it went on the floor and the dog was very happy indeed lol I think that is what happens at first though. I was reading the BLW cookbook and it says that babies don't really need the solids til around 8/9 months (I think) so it's natual for them to start playing with food around 6 months so by the time they actually need it they're able to feed themselves. That's the idea anyway I think. I'm just so scared of him choking that I find it hard to relax lol

Well I decided to hell with it I'll give Aiden some toast today.... Do you think he can survive on milk for the rest of his life is I NEVER wanna do that again!!!

He mushed it up for a bit then rammed a massive bit in his mouth but spat it straight back out (thankfully!) then started taking little bites, he loves it, looked like he was having loads of fun and it was all exciting until he started gagging :( I know it's normal so I tried to sit it out an I've never been more nervous in my life!! He was fine though, sorted himself out then ate more :yay: seriously though it's he most nerve wracking thing I've ever gone through and it was only a bit of toast!!

Well done Aiden :dance:

I had to scoop a massive bit of melon out of Oscars mouth this morning I was petrified he was gonna choke. It was blinkin huuuuuge. He's very ambitious lol

Haha yeah I think Aiden is a bit ambitious too, even I wouldnt attempt to put that much toast in my mouth lol
Im excited to try more things with him now but terrified at the same time, this mother malarky is hard work!

aaawww well done Aiden! This is what I am sooooo scared about with Layla. I really want to start her on some BLW (or finger foods) but like everyone else, I too am scared! The lumpiest food she has had so far is a bit of scrambled egg! (recommended by the doc as apparently babies love it!) Well, she enjoyed what she had of it, but I think the texture and "lumpiness" of it was so different for her I'm not sure whether she was "that" bothered by it. A sort of "take it or leave it" moment lol xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back