Birth Plan

Skidoo

Reaction score
Has anyone written a birth plan?

Are there any useful online resources for this?

I get a bit overwhelmed thinking about it; it would be nice if there was a template on the web somewhere that I could just adapt as necessary....

Thanks

The hospital did mine with me, I asked and they just went through all possibilitites and we agreed ( my hubby, me and the midwife) on the best choices for the delivery. If you ask at your next appointment I'm sure they will go through everything with you and then you don't feel like you have forgotten anything.

Ask Kerry, she helped me. She had a good template and example birth plan which she emailed me? I am sure she would send it to you if you asked nicely! :D

Thanks for your replies.

Kelly - is that Kerry the Doula on here?

Yeah i just PM'ed her mine to see if its ok, it sounds so daft as i dont know what to expect with my first!!! I sound like i want everything exact!

My MW came round and we (OH, MW + I) went through my birth plan over a coffee, which was nice! I have a birth plan type document in my notes do you? Otherwise id ask the pro! Kerry would send you a copy im sure. having it finished made me feel much more at ease

my midwife is coming next wednesday to do mine with me. luckily my antenatal class on monday night will be covering pain relief etc so by the time i see my midwife i should be a little more informed (i hope!)

kerry sent my the sample too so i'll have a good look at that before she gets here.

I didnt get chance to do a birth plan as Max decided to come 3 weeks early, but to be honest, it didnt make any difference! I just told them when i got there what type of pain relief etc i wanted!!! as my whole labour from start to finish was only 5 hours everything happened so quick, i just ended up giving birth on my knees in nude!!!!

Good luck to all you waiting to meet your little ones

Natalie xx

Just in case any of you want this:

Writing A Birth Plan:

Who do you want to be with you?
Your partner, your mum, your sister, your doula? Most hospitals only allow 2 people to attend but always ask if you want more. Bear in mind that if you had to have an emergency caesarean, you would only be allowed one person with you; so make sure you think about whom that would be. You may also have to state if you are happy with male midwives or student midwives being present.

Are you allowed to film the birth?
Some people like to have a video of the birth to look back on. You will need to find out if the hospital is ok with this.

Atmosphere / room
You may not have a choice on the ambience of the room, but if you do, you may like to consider aromatherapy oils or music to relax you. Some hospitals have radios or tape recorders in the delivery rooms; others don’t, so you will have to find out if you can take your own if this is what you want.

Pain relief
Very important, even if you are convinced you are going to have a natural drug free labour, it’s always worth having some idea what’s on offer in case you change your mind!
Options:
• TENS
• Water (hot bath or birth pool)
• Gas & air
• Pethidine
• Epidural
Read up on them all to see what suits you.

Episiotomy?
You can put on your birth plan that you would like to avoid one unless necessary, and that you want to be informed before anything is done. In some cases it is necessary but not always.

Ventouse / forceps delivery?
You can say which you would prefer to try first if assistance is needed, bear in mind that a ventouse can be done without an episiotomy always being necessary.

Delivery, position & type of birth
What position do you want to deliver your baby in?
Do you want an active birth?
There are lots of positions to try and not all may be comfortable once in labour, look in pregnancy books and find out from ante natal, the positions you feel may be good for you.
The best thing to do is think about what you want to try and then just go with what suits you at the time.

Foetal monitoring
How do you want your baby monitored?
Are you against constant monitoring with belts around your tummy?
Some hospitals use constant monitoring as procedure.

Delivery of baby
You need to say in your plan if you want your baby delivered straight onto you and if you want skin-to-skin contact. You also need to express if you wish your birth companion to cut the cord or even do it yourself. You can state that you want the baby with you as much as possible or if you want time on your own with your partner after birth.

Syntometrine?
This is the injection that is usually given at the time of delivery that speeds up the delivery of the placenta. It is delivered in just a few minutes where as without the injection it can take up to an hour.
You have a choice if you want this or not, but it is supposed to reduce the risk of haemorrhage after the birth. How do you want the cord cut?

Vitamin K
This is usually given routinely to newborn babies to prevent them having problems with blood clotting. Although problems are very rare it is something that’s done as routine. You can chose if you want your baby to have an injection, orally or not at all. Ask the hospital / midwife for literature on vitamin K.

Feeding
You need to say if you want to breast-feed or bottle feed.
If breast-feeding you may want to put your baby straight to the breast after delivery, and if bottle-fed then you need to know if you need to take bottles etc to the hospital.

Unexpected situations
If your baby has to go to a special baby unit you may like to ask if you can have as much involvement as possible in their care, or perhaps ask if it is possible for your partner to stay with you.
It may be the case that you need an emergency caesarean, so it is important that you read about these so you are aware of what is happening if this is the case.

Individual needs
You may have particular religious needs that you want to mention, you may want certain rituals carries out when your baby is born. Or you may require a special diet whilst in hospital, make sure your carers are aware, as they have to honour these.

Concerns / worries
If there is anything else you wish your carers to be aware of then you need to put in down too. You may have fears of certain things such as episiotomies or operating theatres. These are all perfectly normal and it is important that people know how you feel about things so they can handle it appropriately if the situation arises.
You may have real phobias or worries that also need to be written into your plan, or you may be very, very nervous – if so say.
If you have had bad past experiences with birth then put that down too, or if there has been a family history of problems during labour then put that too (though that may be in your notes).

Remember, whatever happens, it doesn’t matter if you follow your plan or not. Do what your body tells you, and if it includes asking for drugs or epidural then so be it – it’s not a sign of failure or weakness, these things are there to help YOU.

Giving birth is the most amazing thing in the world, and when it is all over and you hold your tiny baby in your arms for the first time – it was all worth it!

Birth Plan for:
EDD:

Introduction
This birth plan has been written in the context of having a normal birth. I realise that many of these preferences will not be possible if there are complications along the way and will be happily guided by my experienced midwife.
I am very keen to have an active birth. I am hopping for as few interventions as possible and to have as natural a birth as I can. I would like to keep upright and active as much as possible.

In Hospital
I am keen to move around during the birth and would like to have the hospital bed pushed to one side to give me more room to move around. I would like to put the mattress on the floor. I am also very keen to use the birthing pool, if it is available.
I would like to make the atmosphere of the room as nice as possible by way of using dim lights, soft music, nice smells and candles if allowed.
I would like my husband and my Doula with me at all times.

Management in Labour
I would like to avoid having the syntocinon drip, although I realise if all the other efforts fail, that will be necessary at the last stage of induction. I would like to keep the waters intact if all is normal.

Pain Relief
I would like to use warm water and gas and air as my main methods of pain relief. I will also be using Bach Flower remedies and Homeopathic remedies to help with the pain. I would like to avoid Pethidine or an Epidural.

The First Stage
As mentioned above, I am keen to keep as active as possible. I therefore would prefer fetal monitoring to be done with a hand held monitor in order that I can keep moving. I do not want to end up on my back on the bed. I am not keen for the labour to be artificially speeded up, unless of course the baby is in danger. I would like firm encouragement to spur me on and keep me positive. I was also like reminding to eat and drink at appropriate opportunities to keep my energy levels up.

The Second Stage
I would like the baby delivered straight onto me for skin to skin contact. My husband will cut the cord. The Idea of forceps scares me and I would like a discussion of events and situation if these are necessary. This too goes for any other decisions that need to be made.

The Third Stage
I am happy to have the Syntometrine injection to deliver the placenta.
If I need to be stitched after delivery I would like it to be by a very experienced midwife or registrar.
I would like to breast feed my baby as soon as possible after delivery.

Length of stay in hospital
I would like to leave the hospital as soon as possible but I do realise that this will depend on a number of factors; time of birth and complications such as caesarean.

Obviously just chop them about to suit you - good luck xx

bless you Kerry, your a star!!!
Pinch a few ideas to add to mine! Thanks x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27