BIRTH PLAN? have not got a clue!??

I never made a birth plan because I thought the whole idea was ridiculous (as it turns out, that was a stupid assumption on my part). Last time, I had an emergency c-section for pre-eclampsia and was not able to see my baby for 3 days (didn't get to hold her just after birth either). I was really ill and completely out of it on medication. What I didn't realise is that if I'd had a birth plan I could have included something about midwives expressing milk from me when I was unconscious so that my milk came in properly and baby had some. I also had no idea that this could be done anyway. After the event, my midwife actually started telling all her ladies about having this in their birth plans (she had about 4 of us go into hospital in the space of a fortnight with pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome!).

Not seeing my LO for 3 days and being very ill meant that I never produced much milk. It was heartbreaking at the time. This time around my birth plan will be very simple and include expressing milk if I am unconscious.

thanks again ladies xx
i have decided im gonna make one and just include simple things that i would like. going an antenatal class soon and a show around the maternity ward so il have a better idea after then:) xx

Sometime mw will mention it at 28/31 weeks but it is usually left up to you to write. Mine has who I want in the room, what pain relief I am happy with, if I want a student, that even though need to be continually traced would like to be mobile, I mentioned my oh needle aversion and to warn him if one is coming. I also mentioned that I want him to cut the cord after delayed clamping and for oh to tell me the sex of the baby, I stated I was happy for the injection for the placenta, would like skin to skin straight after baby is born, that if I need an episiotomy I will have one if baby needs to be delivered quickly. I have said I am happy for the baby to have im vitamin K injection once born. Finally I have said who will be visting once baby is here. I think that covers most things.

Last edited:
thanks for all the comments ladies :) im going to write out a plan when i go one of the day antenatal classes coming up because the midwife said they help you with it apparently :) xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back