Birth Plan

adele88

Reaction score
Just wondering wheter you need a birth plan or not?? I have seen advantages and disadvantages of these not sure what to do any advice?x

In my pregnancy notes there is a page for it, I think it's a blooming good idea just so the hospital staff know what you want an don't want! I gues you just have to remember that it could change at any time in circumstances that are unplanned. Just write a brief way in which you would like the birth to go and pain relief etc. I'm going todo that I think just so they know. X

yeah i suppose it would be a really good idea because im wanting an epidural but wasnt sure how i would go about getting one so i could write it in my notes so the midwifes are aware of this.

I've always had 1 although it was chucked out the window last time cos I needed an emergency c section. My best friend didn't have 1,she just made sure her oh knew exactly what she did and didn't want.
I think it's good for things like,who's gonna cut the cord,whether u want skin to skin contact as soon as they're born etc but I think the actual birth part should b played by ear,especially if it's a 1st child cos u have no idea wot ur contractions r gonna b like or how fast ur gonna labour. I always went against epidural but I think if I'd b labourin a few days with slow progress then I'd b tempted just so I could rest..baby doesn't want a tired mummy! But I always loved the labour part of my pregnancies...and once established I labour fairly quick (approx 3 hours). I hate my sister in law who's waters broke,went to hospital and was 2 cm,had epidural at 1st pain cos she was 'tired' and then had him a few hours later with 1 felt contraction!! I wouldn't have missed labour 4 the world! xx

i know what you mean but my pain isnt very good at the best of times. Does the midwife actually read through your birth plan then?

I've done one, mainly because I want to do hypnobirthing and wanted to get that out loud and clear to the mw/staff at the hospital.

Also done it so my OH has a reference in case he needs to check anything. I'm also going away for 2 long weekends between now and the birth and wanted to get it done so I could take it with me, just in case!

I'm going to go through mine with my mw in a couple of weeks as part of her home visit, also hoping to run it by the hospital when I go for my visit there.

It most definitely can change due to circumstances and thats why I called mine my Birth Preferences, rather than Plan, it leaves it more open to change and compromise without me getting upset my 'Plan' isn't being rigidly kept to.

I would say to have one is better
apparently they do have to look at it and adhere to it as closely as possible. Midwife told me that they like to see women coming in with one rather than without as they can quickly glance through it and have a better idea of how to approach you. its time saving for them :)
You're only going to birth this baby once so you want it to be to your preference and if you dont tell them what you want you cant expect them to know. Good luck:)

well i think i will defo do one as i would like the midwifes to know everything i want plus it saves me trying to explain. So could i get an example birth plan like for the layout and that then add my details to it.x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back