BFing after 1 year

abcd1234

Reaction score
I've been thinking about my long term plan for feeding Tally, at the moment i wanna feed her exclusively for as long as possible (hopefully 6 months but we'll see) then continue feeds up to a year and try and swap her to cows milk after her first birthday.

However... After reading that a fair amount of people on here continue after 1 year i wondered why you have choosen too, it never crossed my mind to continue afterwards.

Educate me people :wink:

I haven't got to a year yet, but I plan to feed until he self weans - it's recommended by the WHO to breast feed up until the age of 2 :) and although most of their nutrition is coming from solid food there are still lots of good things in breast milk, and still benefits immunity wise too. I'd rather give him milk that is tailor made for him for as long as possible over milk made for a cow, plus the emotional side is lovely too.

There's an article about extended breastfeeding here if you're interested in the topic.

Why do I still breastfeed Alex? Because he won't let me stop lol.

Xena said:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Sorry Xena...it made me giggle..

I plan on bfing lil miss till she self weans (I say plan because you never know what might happen)... but the way she is going that will probably be when shes around 23 :rotfl: :rotfl:

There are many good reasons to try and bf'd your baby until the age of 2... The difference being is that many children between the ages of 1 and 2 choose to self wean anyway... Many people say there is no point in breastfeeding beyond a year, but then why do formula companies make follow on milk :think:

For example:
* In the second year (12-23 months), 448 mL of breastmilk provides:
o 29% of energy requirements
o 43% of protein requirements
o 36% of calcium requirements
o 75% of vitamin A requirements
o 76% of folate requirements
o 94% of vitamin B12 requirements
o 60% of vitamin C requirements
-- Dewey 2001 (http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html)

http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/nursetoddler.html also gives some information.

Humans are meant to breast feed until around 18/24 months, if you make a comparison to other mammals and how long they nurse their infants for. It acts as a hindrance to conception and 18 months is how long it takes a human body to fully recover from the physical demands of carrying a baby to term. Also, breastfeeding can be linked to ancient humans having to carry their children, getting free boob access but by 18/24 months, most children can walk unaided and for longer periods of time... So anthropologically speaking, breastfeeding until 2 is what we were "supposed" to do...

I personally don't like the idea of introducing plain milk at 12 months, just cos toddlers can be really fickle about food, and not get a their full nutritional quotient... (they like a food one day, refuse to eat it the next, go through food phases :roll: ) and by giving milk that has added nutritional value (follow on milk or breast milk) means that they get just that little bit extra :) Plus they usually start nursery at this time, and being introduced to so many more germs it just gives their defences a bit of a boost... But you can give plain milk and vit supplements if you are worried about their food intake so its not a problem :)

Squiglet said:
Xena said:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Sorry Xena...it made me giggle..

I plan on bfing lil miss till she self weans (I say plan because you never know what might happen)... but the way she is going that will probably be when shes around 23 :rotfl: :rotfl:

There are many good reasons to try and bf'd your baby until the age of 2... The difference being is that many children between the ages of 1 and 2 choose to self wean anyway... Many people say there is no point in breastfeeding beyond a year, but then why do formula companies make follow on milk :think:

For example:
* In the second year (12-23 months), 448 mL of breastmilk provides:
o 29% of energy requirements
o 43% of protein requirements
o 36% of calcium requirements
o 75% of vitamin A requirements
o 76% of folate requirements
o 94% of vitamin B12 requirements
o 60% of vitamin C requirements
-- Dewey 2001 (http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html)

http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/nursetoddler.html also gives some information.

Humans are meant to breast feed until around 18/24 months, if you make a comparison to other mammals and how long they nurse their infants for. It acts as a hindrance to conception and 18 months is how long it takes a human body to fully recover from the physical demands of carrying a baby to term. Also, breastfeeding can be linked to ancient humans having to carry their children, getting free boob access but by 18/24 months, most children can walk unaided and for longer periods of time... So anthropologically speaking, breastfeeding until 2 is what we were "supposed" to do...

I personally don't like the idea of introducing plain milk at 12 months, just cos toddlers can be really fickle about food, and not get a their full nutritional quotient... (they like a food one day, refuse to eat it the next, go through food phases :roll: ) and by giving milk that has added nutritional value (follow on milk or breast milk) means that they get just that little bit extra :) Plus they usually start nursery at this time, and being introduced to so many more germs it just gives their defences a bit of a boost... But you can give plain milk and vit supplements if you are worried about their food intake so its not a problem :)

Thankyou Squigs, i've been looking for some info.

Thats really interesting

I've carried on because i know it's still the best milk for my DD to be having :)

I'll carry on for as long she still wants it. I'm hoping she will self wean at 18/24 months but if she carries on past that then it will be something I'll just have to deal with.
After all i think the worldwide weaning age is about 4 years so 2 years is quite early!
I think when we decide to be a mother, We agreed to provide the best we can and that's exactly what I'm doing :D

I hope you do make it to 1 year because it's a fantastic achievement. I feel so proud of myself for still breastfeeding :cheer:

I'm planning on going to a year and then switching to cows milk (mostly for selfish reasons :oops: - I want my body back plus we'll probably start TTC for number 2 around then) I was planning on BF till 6 months until I realised you couldn't give cows milk until 12mths and seeing as I've made it through the struggle to get this far, I'm now getting pig-headed about not wanting to give formula.

it's recommended by the WHO to breast feed up until the age of 2
After having read the WHO report on this (I know, I'm a geek...) this particular recommendation is really more directed at poverty stricken countries where food is scarce and young children therefore not getting a balanced diet and the nutrition required for this rapid stage of growth through solid food alone. But you may want to continue for that long anyway - for one thing depends on how you feel about BFing, but also as Squiglet said

toddlers can be really fickle about food, and not get a their full nutritional quotient... (they like a food one day, refuse to eat it the next, go through food phases :roll: ) and by giving milk that has added nutritional value (follow on milk or breast milk) means that they get just that little bit extra

why not? its the perfect milk for my child, specially formulated for her only with what she needs, providing physical and emotional benefits. TBH its weirder for me to stop giving them my milk and give them milk from another spieces. Plus its free - always a winner in my book :D

I suggested to my OH about breastfeeding passed a year and he was all for it. But then he did say, "Sod the fact that i want your boobs!" Lol. He's missing out but he's happy for Angel to go as long as she needs. I'm gonna see how it goes though.

I'm hoping to feed Cooper for as long as he wants it :D xx

I agree with beanie, why not? My DD self weaned at 12 months, but I would have kept feeding her if she'd wanted to. However I was (eventually) happy she'd decided when to stop herself and proud that she had the independence to self wean.

Valentine Xxx

I want to feed Kathryn to at least a year but with my return to work imminent- I'm not convinced that I will manage it. I have committed to trying though! It takes two days to get the milk I need to feed her for 1 day at nursery. I have 12 days worth stored up- I'm going to have to get her used to eating solids at lunch time very quickly or I will certainly run out after a few weeks!

Squiglet- does Lil Miss have solids whilst you are out at work? Does she have about 10oz EBM whilst you are at work also? I'm looking for reassurance and advice that I will manage to express enough to keep up exclusive breastfeeding.

I not yet at a year but now 8 and half months :dance:

I would like to give it up soon well actually really honestley would like to carry on but my husband and family say he is getting a bit big for it :x . It doesnt really bother me what they think but i have to go back to work soon and i am worried for him how he will cope without boob for 12 hours :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back