• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best and Worst buys?

Tw1nkle

Reaction score
Hiya,
Whats the best thing you bought for your baby?
And what was the biggest waste of money?

Thanks.

Best...
muslin squares
bumbo seat (lil miss likes sitting...none of this laid back cwap)
but the best by far... my ring sling

Worst...
Bottles,
Dummies
baby swing (she never really like it)

Best..

Muslin Squares
Bouncer Chair

Worst...

Moses basket - Jack hated it
Pram - Coz he didnt like laying down lol

Best - muslin squares
Worst - a cuddly toy. She's been given loads more by people and what with being 6 weeks old, she doesn't give a damn about any of them.

best - muslin squares an my sling

worst - baby wipes, particularly pampers and huggies

Best:-
Swing chair
Door bouncer

Worst:-
Chicco Happy Snack Highchair (hated it!)

This is great, as it's giving me a real incite in to what I should buy!

Why does everyone like the muslin squares? I can;'t think what I'd use them for? (I'd probably just use Kitchen Roll to get up spills?!?)

Thanks.

Tw1nkle said:
This is great, as it's giving me a real insist in to what I should buy!

Why does everyone like the muslin squares? I can;'t think what I'd use them for? (I'd probably just use Kitchen Roll to get up spills?!?)

Thanks.

They're on my favourites list too! I use them for...

Burping
Putting under her head in the moses basket and pram etc in case she's sick
Cleaning her up after a feed
Changing her on if I don't have a mat handy
Mopping up mess

Would need a rainforest's worth of kitchen roll to do that.

Other best buys...

Cloth nappies (has saved me a fortune already even after the washing)
Bouncy chair
Playgym from ELC
Cotton wool - wipes make her break out in a rash so I'm glad I didn't spend a fortune on wipes.

Worst....

Angelcare nappy wrapper. It was free (Bounty club thing) but has got to be the most useless piece of equipment in the world so I gave it away via freecycle. Hardly use disposables anyway.
Like kalia, cuddly toys. She has no interest in them.
Newborn clothes, she wore them for all of a fortnight.

BEST
baby sleeping bags
muslin squares (tho i do have a stash of cut-up t-shirt squares too :wink:)
baby bjorn carrier
baby bath that goes over the top of our bath - easy to fill/empty and much better for my back

WORST
ring sling - he hates being carried in it, but loves the baby bjorn
cheap boots disposable breast pads - complete waste of time!

:D :D

Best:
Muslin Squares
bibs
bouncy chair that bounces and vibrates itself
Playgym
Loads of vests and sleepsuits (she went through every one in my hospital bag, by 11.00 the morning after she was born!)
Moses basket (although she didn't sleep in it at night for long, it was great for naps downstairs)
Sleeping bags

Worst:
Hats and coats (Ella is the hottest baby ever!)
Nappy wrapper (a friend lent me this and we have hardly used it)
Top and tail bowl (again lent to us, never used it)
Baby bath (lent again and never used)
Bath support (the bath has to be so deep for her to be under the water)
Cot bedding (she just kicks it off)

Ella has just started to play with her toys in the last couple of weeks, so they will be useful eventually (although she really just chews them all)

Tw1nkle said:
This is great, as it's giving me a real incite in to what I should buy!

Thanks.

Think of the cost and the waste of kitchen roll!!

I live with a muslin square over my shoulder. Its not so much spills as having a baby vomit on you when burping over your shoulder. And ideal for wiping face, boobs when got milk down them, putting under baby to save sheets, using in place of a bib when BF'ing out and about. I never use bibs BF'ing fwiw, just pop a muslin under LO's head and my boob. Catches everything.

Also good for using as a light cover over baby, soaking up spills, stopping the wee going all over the place when mid nappy change and LO decides its time to empty his bladder....

loooooooooong list and as I always have one on my shoulder, its always easy to grab it and use it.

Go invest in some :)

Best buys

Muslin squares
Tiny Love cot mobile (keeps Galen amused for hours)
Sleeping bags (kicks blankets off all the time)
NUK dummies (been a real help to get LO off my boob when comfort feeding in first few weeks - plan to throw them away before he hits 4 months so as to not form an attachment to them or remember them)
Outlook sun shade (fits almost every pushchair and is so easy to use)
Calendula lotion

Worst buys

Baby wipes (don't use them, don't plan to for a long while either)
Sudocrem (as above)
Baby bouncer chair (he hates it)
Newborn baby clothes (we didn't buy many as we knew he would be larger but got given loads by people and he never even fitted in them)

Definately Muslin Squares for the reasons everybody else has stated! Definately need one to hand most of the day hehe. I wouldn't get them from Mothercare though, you can get them alot cheaper from places like Asda :)

Other best buys:

Playgym
Sling/baby carrier
Steriliser
Cot top changer

Worst:

Babybath - We just take her in our normal bath
Dummies - She tolerated them at first but refuses point blank now, prefers sucking her fingers!

there's so much lol

best buys

muslins
tiny love activity island playmatt ( brilliant cos inc tummy time pillow and musical mirror he loves)
2nd hand mirical and milestones cot mobile
swing ( was vital when he had colic , not so much now)
issac the newt cuddly toy , goes everywhere with him lol
black, white and red toys ( cot book etc )
my bargain 2nd hand nursery set ( inc everything u needed from curtains to sheets to accessories all matching for £50 ! )
changing table ( wasnt going too but soooo glad i did ! )

worst buys

too many clothes ! it was great having so many sleep and bodysuits but he went through sizes so quick where now on 6-9 at 20 weeks and he started off in prem size ! (up to 6lb)
clothes , clothes , clothes , i loved him in them but had far to many and spent far too much
possibly my travelsystem , i wish id looked into weight of car seat etc and also got one more suitable for all terrain . ( glad i brought it 2nd hand and not for £500 ! )
lotions and potions lol

Best:
Muslin Squares (Never understood what they were for til my sister bought them) They send her to sleep too, she loves snuggling with them.
Play Gym. It was a cheap £10 one from Toys R Us and she loves it.
Mothercare Nursing Strap Tops. Cheaper than nursing bras and so easy while out to feed. I'll definately get more for next time

Worst:
Bibs
Dummies- I got the Tommee Tippee orthodontic for BF (She hates them)
Bouncy Chairs. Got given 1 and another came free with the pushchair, she hates them.

Sherlock said:
Best buys

Muslin squares
Tiny Love cot mobile (keeps Galen amused for hours)
Sleeping bags (kicks blankets off all the time)
NUK dummies (been a real help to get LO off my boob when comfort feeding in first few weeks - plan to throw them away before he hits 4 months so as to not form an attachment to them or remember them)
Outlook sun shade (fits almost every pushchair and is so easy to use)
Calendula lotion

Worst buys

Baby wipes (don't use them, don't plan to for a long while either)
Sudocrem (as above)
Baby bouncer chair (he hates it)
Newborn baby clothes (we didn't buy many as we knew he would be larger but got given loads by people and he never even fitted in them)

Sorry to butt in but where did you buy the NUK dummies from?? Are they designed to work better with BFing? Thanks xx

laura23yrs said:
Sorry to butt in but where did you buy the NUK dummies from?? Are they designed to work better with BFing? Thanks xx

I got mine from Lloyds chemist. They didn't have them on display but kept them under the counter and I had to ask for them.

They are designed to imitate the nipple and be flat on one side so encouraging baby to suck as they would on the nipple. Helps stops baby from getting confused. My HV recommended them as I used them from 3 weeks old, same as the bottles for expressed feeds. Normally they don't encourage expressing or dummies before then to establish BF'ing.

Can get them online also on the NUK site :) Can take your pick from the two pages there. We have silicone ones fwiw. I use and like their bottles also. Same teat design as the dummy.

http://shop.nukbaby.co.uk/products.aspx?cID=24

Thanks sherlock, I think I read you say that they are good for if the baby gets relient on staying on breast too long for comfort after a feed and think I will try them for the same reason so he doesnt get too attached to being on there ALL the time!xx

Worst buys:

Moses basket
Swinging crib
Vibrating Chair

Best Buys:

Baby Walker
Bumbo
Changing Table from Ikea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts