Baileys only has a couple of days left :(

Melanie

Reaction score
I cant believe it, i really thought she was going to get better. She seemed so great after she started the new treatment with the new vet but at the beginning of last week she started to get ill again.
Its so much more severe this time, as well as the throwing up she keeps collapsing and cant get back on her feet. Over night she has developed a massive growth between the pads on her front paw. She just looks so pitiful and sad and its breaking my heart.
Yesterday her back legs just went from under her while we were out on a walk and i couldnt get her back on her feet at all. A very nice man walked past and saw me crying trying to help her and carried her all the way home for me after he couldnt get her up on her feet either. He laid her on her bed and she stayed there for 3 hours whimpering. After a few hours she seemed great again but this just keeps happening and shes in so much pain when it does i cant bare it.
Im sitting here in flood of tears. Baileys is my baby. She helped me get well after my break down, its killing me that i cant fix her. I've held on and held on hoping that something would change but i know i cant take another day like yesterday and i dont think Baileys can either. She's very quiet and still today not at all herself and for the first time ever she went to snap at me when i was trying to check her paw.
The vet has just called here to check her over and she is more than certain she has cancer somewhere and all these skin lesions and abscesses are symptoms of her immune system being attacked. She thinks that the fairest thing for Baileys is for us to put her to sleep and to do it soon. She has given her something for the pain she is in. Thursday or Friday Richard is taking the off work and we'll put her to sleep :(
I feel sick.

:hug: :hug:

I'm so sorry. It really is an upsetting thing to go through last year we had to have our dog put down and it broke my heart. But, he was suffering and that was just as upsetting. I really don't know what to say to you.

:hug: :hug:

Melanie im so so sorry darlin!

I was thinking about Baileys last night and was going to ask how she was doing, im so sad shes not well still.

Though if she has cancer and is livng half her life you and richerd know you are doing Baileys a kindness by putting her to sleep and put of pain.

Im so sorry Melanie :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Aww Melanie I am so sorry :hug: I got my dog when I was splitting from mu husband so I know how close you become to your pet through something like that, it's so sad :cry: You obviously know its the best thing for Bailey but it doesn't make it easier :hug: :hug:

So so sorry to hear this :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: Can completely empathise with how you're feeling. You're in my thoughts :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Oooh no how awful! That is so heartbreaking i'm so sorry :hug:

im so sorry to hear this

but if it was my dog then i would to put them to sleep if it was in there best interest as i would not want to see them suffer or be in pain x :hug: :hug: :hug:

I'm so sorry to hear this :( :hug: :hug: :hug: I think you are doing the right thing by her and not letting her linger on and suffer more. I think you know deep down when the time comes and to me it sounds like it is now.

I know what a terrible thing feeling it is to lose a beloved pet as I lost my own much loved doglet very recently (and our other one 2 months before that). Like you I had to sit and watch for a few days in the hope she would pull back but after a second stroke I knew there was no way back for her so took her to the vets and had her put to sleep. It broke my heart but as I knew it really was the right thing to do by her I found some comfort in that.

My vet sent me a lovely card the day after we said goodbye to Daisy and enclosed a poem with it. I'm going to write it up here for you also. I hope you can find something in it as I did.

If it should be....
That I grow frail and weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep
Then you must do what must be done
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand
Don't let your grief then stay your hand
For this day more than all the rest,
Your love and friendship stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
What is to come will hold no fears,
You'll not want me to suffer, so
When the time comes please let me go.

I know in time you too will see,
It is kindness you do for me,
Although my tail it's last has waved
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: Thinking of you

Thanks girls, i knew you would all understand.

Sherlock thank you so much for that. Its made me bawl again but in a good way, i know this is whats for the best, my baby is suffering and i cant let her continue like this.
Expect some miserable posts over the next few days girls but when this happens its going to break me :(

I am so sorry to hear this its so hard to see them ill and not be able to help but by giving her peace and setting her free from pain you are doing the one last thing you can do for her rather then keeping her suffering on for your sake its a very brave decission to make. From what I have read you have done absolutely all you can for her and should be proud of yourself for that. I hope her passing is as peaceful as possible for you both :hug: :hug:

Awwww :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: We'll be here. And please, if you want to drop me a PM at any time I'm right here and happy to listen if it helps you.

I was crushed to lose both of mine, especially so close together so I can really understand how you are feeling. They really are part of the family and contemplating life without them so suddenly was almost too much to bear. But I was able to say goodbye properly, and for Bowie had the vet come to our house to put him to sleep as he never liked going to the vet. He was peaceful and died in my arms on the sofa and I got to hold him a while and sobbed my heart out.

With Daisy I took her to the vet as she was by this time not really mentally aware of what was going on around her. She was not distressed at all. I asked the vet to give her a sedative first so she went to sleep in my arms and I took her out to the car and cuddled her for a few minutes till she had gone into a deep sleep then asked the vet to come out to us to give her the final injection. She was so peaceful and again I got to hold her and say goodbye.

Maybe think about having Baileys given a sedative first to let her go off to dreamland first. I found it much more of a relief for both myself and Daisy doing this. It was very peaceful and gentle then.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

i am so so sorry :cry: im sat here in tears. my grandma had to have her dog put down. she had cancer, its heartbreaking. here to listen if you want to talk xxx :hug:

I'm so sorry to hear this :( We lost our beloved dog to cancer and it was the most heartbreaking thing I have ever been through, even now it still hurts and he's been gone for 4 years. We took him for an xray and he decided himself he couldn't go through it and didn't wake up. I'm so glad we didn't have to make the decision because it's so hard letting them go when you know they're hurting and you hurt too!

She's been faithful to you for a long time and she loves you dearly hun. You're thinking of her best interests and that is the best thing you can do. You'll never forget her and she'll never forget you either. Cherish the last few days hun and pamper her loads. :hug: :hug: :hug:

awww hun i am so sorry
i know how hard it is wen we had our cat put down i cried for days
:hug: :hug: :hug:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: I've just cried all the way through this thread. I'm so sorry your dog is sick.

There is nothing worse than watching them suffer, my Lab had a hip replacement when she was 2 and it was horrific seeing her in so much pain & imobile for such a long time.

I think you are doing the right thing though & will be thinking of you.

Lou x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back