Baby wont eat .... driving me up the wall ....

CARNAT22

Reaction score
I probably shouldn't start by saying how much I am hating weaning but I've been driven to this point!!!

We've been doing BLW for about 2 months and so far we've had about a week when he's enjoyed his food and the rest of the time has been a battle... He either won't eat, or sits and screams.

It doesn't matter when I feed him, where I feed him or what I offer him, he just hardly eats.

He wont even take food at the moment and I've literally just shoved a few spoons of Weetabix down him :shock:

I cook a variety of things, don't offer him too much in one go and never try to feed him when he is tired or hungry.

I just don't understand how he has gone from at least trying things to refusing everything?

He is still taking most of his milk, he's dropped maybe 3-5oz's a day?

I really don't want to go to pureeing but maybe it's time to try him on some pouches??

xxxxx

Last edited:
I'm doing a mix of purees and finger foods and we are getting on really well so it may be worth a try, even just to get him back into the swing of things again.

XX

Hi Nat :wave:

I know you're doing BLW. We had the opposite problem, J was fighting us when we tried to get purees down him, rejecting homemade, pouches, everything. Would only take yoghurt off a spoon. I thought oh no, how are we ever going to get veggies into him. Then I just gave him bits of stuff and I've not seem him as happy, so we've gone completely over to BLW. I was so stressed at mealtimes and now not worried at all. He tries some stuff, throws some on the floor etc.

Not much help to you I know, since you're the other way, but having just skim read the BLW book (in panic because i realised we were going to have to change our approach completely) I'd say don't worry. It's still very early days for James. He's still getting all his nutrition from milk and food is just play. I would not be turning mealtimes into a battle by trying to force puréed stuff down him. Just keep offering him versions of what you're having and finger food.

Do you eat with him? J loves that and always eats more.

Xxx

Last edited:
Also when are you milk feeding? We give Js bottles an hour or 90 mins before his meal, so that he's not hungry and frustrated, but he's worked up an appetite in the meantime.

Xxx

Last edited:
I give him food an hour or so after his bottle so he is normally a few hours away from his next feed. I also do it after nap time so eating is effectively "activity" time.

I eat breakfast and dinner with him as much as I can [some nights we have dinner later] and I've given up on lunch as two meals worked better than three.

The only thing he doesn't mind at the moment is yoghurt.

I am going to try a few pouches and see if that makes a difference, as BLW isn't going great.

I knew sooner or later my "little angel" would turn into a monster lol....

xxxxx

Last edited:
Did you try to offer solids before milk or give 1/2 a bottle then solids and then the rest of the bottle if he wants?

Amelie will not even touch food if she is not hungry so for us 1 h after bottle would never work.

At 7.5 m I would really offer first solids and see if it works?

I know it's hard when everyone wants them to be on solids by 6months, but some children genuinely aren't ready until significantly later.

Am i right in thinking One of your posts in b&t said he wasn't sitting unaided yet - that's an indicator of readiness to wean so maybe he's genuinely not ready.

If trying purées will make you feel better, then by all means but remember milk is still his main source of nutrition so solids are not essential at the moment. X

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

We have really battled with BLW Hun, I love the concept and everything about but C just doesn't!

I now do a mix of both I make him everything and fork mash whatever it is until lumpy, spoon feed him and offer him the same but in BLW form it is working for us and C is slowly progressing to wanting more and more of feeding himself. Xx

He won't sit unaided but he can iykwim??

There are no issues as such, he will sit between my legs with minimal support and is fine in his chair. He is just wobbly when he is trying to sit himself and normally topples over quite quickly.

We didn't start weaning until he was showing all the other signs - picking up things and putting them accurately to his mouth, making chewing motions etc.

I cannot stand to go down the pureeing route but I bought a few pouches yesterday. I went to serve him some and it made me feel sick so I've thrown the pouches out.

Dinner yesterday was actually a relative success. Spag bol with butternut squash, celery and red pepper. I wouldn't say he ate much but he really seemed to enjoy getting himself in a right old mess.

I will persevere with BLW and see how we get on

xxxxxxxx

I'll be honest and admit I have no clue what this blw is? I'm guessing it's letting them lead the way when attempting solids?

Anyway, I have weaned 3 children onto solids and basically did it like this. First of all they got 1 "solid" a day for a few weeks, something really basic like rusk/milk, baby rice, readybrek. Then once they were used to it they got 2 meals a day, as previously said for breakfast then pretty much whatever we had for dinner thrown into a blender. I never let them lead the way until they were over 1 and then it was usually really simple stuff like toast, rusks, simple sandwiches like ham and cheese. Everything else was fed to them by me but I did let them hold a spoon while I scooped it in.

They obviously got bottles of milk as usual.

It worked, it wasn't as messy as I imagine blw is, they always got a decent feed because I was feeding them and it never affected their development in any way.

My middle son however did have a horrendously small appetite and barely ate solids until he was 18 months. I just carried on trying regardless and if he didn't eat it it just got thrown in the bin. The follow on milk he was on remained the same and I also gave him multi vitamins to "top him up".

I honestly think the more stressed you get the more he will pick up on it and the less he will eat. It's so easy to say but just try not to stress and make sure he gets plenty of milk. He will do it when he is ready, whenever that may be and he will be fine hun xxx

tapatalkin

We have really battled with BLW Hun, I love the concept and everything about but C just doesn't!

I now do a mix of both I make him everything and fork mash whatever it is until lumpy, spoon feed him and offer him the same but in BLW form it is working for us and C is slowly progressing to wanting more and more of feeding himself. Xx

We're the same. X

My HV said always food before bottle, maybe worth a try. Xx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some babies are nor big eaters hun.
My son was the opposite, he wanted food so much that he would scream at me in frustration. So i spoon fed him first( mashed up with a fork) and then let him feed himself. So far he is the most advanced in his group re self feeding and use of cutlery etc.
Just find a way that will work for both of you although i do remember throwing away loads as they need so little in the beginningw

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

is he drinking plenty water with his meals?

Freya is only taking fromage frais just now or pasta in my garlic and basic sauce (its really strong!). Other than that the only thing she will take without screaming is finger foods. And then she wont eat enough, and gags and pukes.

i am persevering though, I am the opposite of you, i just couldnt handle BLW cause of the mess so we do TW with some fingerfood at lunch only.

I dropped a bottle myself to get her to eat. She now gets 3 x 8oz bottles a day, morning, 2pm and bedtime. And 3 meals a day. So at lunch she only gets lunch, and that is 2 hours after her morning porridge

James still takes a lot of milk, I think maybe he might just be full with his milk and not too bothered about food?

is he drinking plenty water with his meals?

Freya is only taking fromage frais just now or pasta in my garlic and basic sauce (its really strong!). Other than that the only thing she will take without screaming is finger foods. And then she wont eat enough, and gags and pukes.

i am persevering though, I am the opposite of you, i just couldnt handle BLW cause of the mess so we do TW with some fingerfood at lunch only.

I dropped a bottle myself to get her to eat. She now gets 3 x 8oz bottles a day, morning, 2pm and bedtime. And 3 meals a day. So at lunch she only gets lunch, and that is 2 hours after her morning porridge

James still takes a lot of milk, I think maybe he might just be full with his milk and not too bothered about food?

K eats the same amount as Freya too. Xx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is he teething at all? Maybe that's could be why he is possibly fussier some days than others?
Even now W has fussy days and he just doesn't want to eat.
I've done a mixture of BLW and TW and it's been prefect for us. He has never been a big milk drinker. But I do think its all about timing. Between milk and meals. Even now William has days where he will just point blank refuse to pick up any food, and I either spoon feed him or break little pieces and place in his mouth. Other days he's hitting the spoon out my ham before I get near him. It's all trail and error and aslong as your happy he's getting enough milk you'll get there :) xzz

We switched to TW with finger foods for snacks and "lunch" if she is awake.
BLW was causing me too much stress and I just couldn't relax when feeding her to the point I was too scared to feed her in front of people

I don't purée the food I fork mash it so it is a lot more lumpier than a pouch/jar. However, I have given M pouches/jars if we have been out late and I haven't made our dinner yet so say one a week?! She will scoff the lot and more! She is loving natural yoghurt with fruit in it.

Stick to what your happy with. We have days when M will really only have had breakfast then a few spoonfuls at dinner and that is it (still has lots of milk) Food is fun until one they say, go with James' lead and it may well pick up soon.

xx

Thanks all, lots of food for thought so to speak.

I wonder if the fact James has always loved his milk actually makes it harder to wean him???

Dinner yesterday was again pretty successful. He had a veggie medley (tenderstream broccoli, butternut squash, red pepper, baby corns) and I kind of just left him to it.

Usually I kind of sit with him and I tend to watch him, but the past few nights we've just let him sit at the table with us and not paid him too much attention. Low and behold he has been much better?

Lynds, he wont drink water - I have ordered a doidy cup to see if that helps.

Lolly, I did think about teething as he has to start sometime but he's not showing any other signs.

BLW isn't that messy - we have splash mats and I have a few bibs with sleeves from Poundland. I actually really like the concept but obviously if things are still like this in a few weeks I'll have to reassess.

I think it's just a case of ploughing through for the time being.

xxxxxxx

Last edited:
Thanks all, lots of food for thought so to speak.

I wonder if the fact James has always loved his milk actually makes it harder to wean him???

Dinner yesterday was again pretty successful. He had a veggie medley (tenderstream broccoli, butternut squash, red pepper, baby corns) and I kind of just left him to it.

Usually I kind of sit with him and I tend to watch him, but the past few nights we've just let him sit at the table with us and not paid him too much attention. Low and behold he has been much better?

Lynds, he wont drink water - I have ordered a doidy cup to see if that helps.

Lolly, I did think about teething as he has to start sometime but he's not showing any other signs.

BLW isn't that messy - we have splash mats and I have a few bibs with sleeves from Poundland. I actually really like the concept but obviously if things are still like this in a few weeks I'll have to reassess.

I think it's just a case of ploughing through for the time being.

xxxxxxx

I think you have a point there, C is a milk lover. He is on 3/4 feeds a day and a night feed and I am just leaving H&M to it. Xx

I was going to say the same as Lolly - if he's teething he mighty be off food anyway? Also, think the milk thing might be an issue. I was told to drop a bottle by the HV so he only has one bottle in the morning when he gets up and then one in the afternoon and one before bed, plus a dream feed still... We have been having a bit of a fight with Harry at mealtimes though and think it might be down to teething a bit. Have you got the BLW book hon, by Gill Rapley? In that it says babies don't actually need to eat until they're a year anyway... xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back