13.5 months and won't eat

x-kirsty-x

Reaction score
Ryan has always been fussy with his food, he was even fussy with milk until he switched to cow's milk, but now it's really bad.

He'll only eat his breakfast without fuss, he has either porridge or toast. Then for the rest of the day he won't eat ANYTHING.

What do I do, just give him milk? He needs to eat something but whatever we offer him he either throws on the floor, spits back out or just turns his head away.

He'll eat biscuits and stuff but there's no way I'm letting him live on them.

I get upset every meal time with him cos I'm just so frustrated and feel like I'm doing something wrong :cry:

It is perfectly normal hun, they all go through a phase like this - think it is their way of showing they are in charge.

Do you try to feed him, or do you let him feed himself. Arianna is very independant and eats much better when left alone to do it herself. Brian always trys to feed her and she just wont take it - but if you give her her fork she will munch away.... maybe worth a try.

If he continues to be a little picky, Arianna will always eat soup, rather than actually "chew" food..... is he teething as soup wont hurt for eating.

hi hon

i can't really offer any advice cos i'm not there yet, but i can tell you that i was a dreadfully fussy eater when i was younger. mum partly blamed herself as she never forced me to eat anything but stuck to the things i liked (mind you, that was all healthy stuff - no biscuits, sweets etc allowed).

despite my bizarre fussy diet (mostly bread, salad & fruit) i was always really healthy. i kept trying things all the time, and eventually i started to like them.

i finally grew out of it in my early 20's :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

you're not doing anything wrong hon - ryan will get there eventually

:hug: :hug: :hug:

SarahH said:
It is perfectly normal hun, they all go through a phase like this - think it is their way of showing they are in charge.

Do you try to feed him, or do you let him feed himself. Arianna is very independant and eats much better when left alone to do it herself. Brian always trys to feed her and she just wont take it - but if you give her her fork she will munch away.... maybe worth a try.

If he continues to be a little picky, Arianna will always eat soup, rather than actually "chew" food..... is he teething as soup wont hurt for eating.

Thanks hun :hug:

I've tried letting him use the fork/spoon - he just plays with it.

I've tried giving him finger foods but he throws them on the floor.

When I try and feed him mushy foods from a spoon he'll either turn his head away or try some, spit it straight back out and not eat anymore.

Tried him on soup the other day, he wouldn't have it.

Today for dinner I tried chicken and veg first but he just spat it out as soon as it was in his mouth. Then I tried bread and butter, he threw it away. As a last resort I've just made him some porridge, he had 2 spoonfuls then stopped eating.

I'm really struggling with him at the minute :wall:

I feel for you :hug: I had this with Paris :( all she would eat was yoghurts and bananas, in the end I just left her to it and she started eating normally again. I wouldn't offer anything else if he won't have his tea/lunch as he could be filling up on the biscuits :lol: - does he sit with Josh at tea time? just a suggestion :hug: - could you also give him more for breakfast?

Have you tried cheating him into eating? Daniel isnt particulary keen on anything non-sweet. So, what I do is, during the feed I alsways have some of his fav fruit puree. Basically, I spoon some of the normal food and then, on the same spoon add fruit puree. (the proportions are 3/4 normal stuff, 1/4 something what he likes) He shovels it in like nothing on earth. And sometimes, when he is already eating, I sneak in just the normal stuff.

Do you think trying adding something sweet (like jam) on the same spoon could help? I know it sounds silly, but it is really helping us. Or, sometimes I add mashed banana to his veggies and meat. (Tried it today again and he loved it!)

Well, hope it help hun. I know how annoying this can be. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Firstly Kirsty :hug:

Secondly :hug: :hug:

And thirdly :hug: :hug: :hug:

Right now thats out the way. Try not to worry, he will not starve himself to death, he will eat when he is hungry and he is probably playing you a little bit!!! I seriously think if he won't eat what you give him, don't make him something else or he will keep refusing what you make till he gets something he likes. If he doesnt eat that meal, he will wait till the next one, sound cruel but he will learn. But also dont make a fuss, dont 'force' him to eat dont cry or go mad if he doesnt, just when he doesnt say ''have you finished, ok ill take it away and you can carry on playing now'' kinda thing. Also try and give him things he can put in his own mouth just so he feels he is eating what he wants when he wants - it might take a few weeks but perserverance is the key hun and try not to stress out!

Last night oran had about 3 noodles from his tea, the rest sat on his head :roll: so that was it till this morning, he didnt even wake up in the night hungry.

Maisy is doing exactly the same at the moment and is same age too.
i put tv on in kitchen to distract her and if that fails, sing and do stupid actions. she forgets about the food being a big deal and evenyually gives up.
i also give her a few wotsits or bits of ham or cheese, then when she opens her mouth, i quickly shove the spoon in. sometimes she spits it out but mostly eats it.
i dont think its anything to do with kids prefering sweet stuff as Maisy hates anything sweet mostly and is still having same problem.
try distracting him at meal times......no matter how silly you look.
and no he isnt going to starve, he will eat eventually

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back