Baby wont eat .... driving me up the wall ....

I would love to see some medical article btw that says that babies only need milk until 1 year old?
I meant to research that long time ago as I only saw it in that book?
I am a little skeptical about that one?

Only personal thoughts btw, not to judge anyone here and not to start a debate, If anyone knows a medical (consider that in bold letters no idea if i can actually use bold in tapatalk lol) article that explains that theory can please show me the way there?

I have to say Hope I'm a little dubious about that myself. I will dig out the book and see where she gets that from... xx

Thank you I would love to read about that idea. I have a huge chapter in a pediatric medical book about baby's nutrition and it says quite the contrary actually, the book is from last year so its not outdated and its one of the most famous textbooks that pediatricians use so very reputable too hence my confusion about that one,

I have read the BLW book (Gill Rapley) and whilst I love the theory I do have some issues with the notion that they only need milk until they are 1.

From memory though the book says they will get most of their nutrition from milk until 1 year... BLW says they should be getting some nutrition from food around 9m + though!

Even as a complete novice I know that by 6 months babies have depleted their store of iron hence the need for weaning.

I am not trusting of HV's as they all seem to say something different. Some say drop bottles, some say feed before bottle, others will say try with foods when bub is not hungry.

I read the book out of interest but I've not looked at in months so I am not using that as my guide.

James has dropped a few oz's here and there but not a whole bottle yet so while he is happy and healthy [and sleeping] I am not going to interfere with his milk.

xxxxxx

Last edited:
I think I might have remembered it a bit wrong as what you say makes sense Nat - I got the book out and does say that until 1 year they will get most of their nutrition from milk but I guess they should be getting some food in by the time they're 9 months or so. You have a better memory than me Nat...!

I think FF babies are a bit better off than than BF babies on the iron front at least, as they will be getting iron in their milk.

I guess some weaning is just instinctual but I take advice from HV and do what I think is right too. It's not an easy thing to do, but in the end we all end up eating normally don't we? It just seems sometimes that our baby will never get there...

And definitely we don't want to interfere with babies sleep if we don't have to! We're still dream feeding Harry atm, although I guess we'll have to stop that at some stage...

Good luck with it all!! xxx

I would love to see some medical article btw that says that babies only need milk until 1 year old?
I meant to research that long time ago as I only saw it in that book?
I am a little skeptical about that one?

Only personal thoughts btw, not to judge anyone here and not to start a debate, If anyone knows a medical (consider that in bold letters no idea if i can actually use bold in tapatalk lol) article that explains that theory can please show me the way there?

Thanks Hope. You made me think,so i had a little look and I think you're right, this isn't backed by any research that I can find!

I heard the phrase "Food until 1 is just for fun" at my NCT weaning course and I've seen it attributed on mumsnet to BLW. Rapley doesn't state it quite so boldly in her book, she says things like "most nutrition" and "for the first few months". I think I took it too literally to mean babies can get all their nutrition from milk, but it's pretty misleading.

Rapley's book is very poorly referenced, and none of the references are for the claims about nutrition from milk, so there's no way of telling where she's getting this from. I did a fairly quick search and could find nothing to back it. And in fact quite a few threads on mumsnet etc with people asking for scientific backing for this claim and nobody providing a credible answer.

Hope, if you have time, perhaps you could summarise what your understanding is from the medical information you've read. What is it important for us to be giving to our babies? What nutrients in particular are they lacking from a milk diet (I know the argument about iron and breastmilk)? I assume it's more about vitamins and minerals than calories, because milk is more calorie dense than most solid foods.

Last edited:
I will summarize but so I don't get in anyone's bad books this is not an advice of what to do with your babies.
A vegetarian diet there is no advised but there is a chapter of that that I didn't read so this dosent mean that if you choose a vegetarian diet for your baby then you do sth wrong.

Great emphasis comes to the idea that milk is very easy digestible and babies need to start processing other food too once their digestive system matures the digestion of those foods helps in its turn the digestive system to mature even more.
Fibers is sth that in milk is not in abundance and is very important for the digestive system, learning to process then is a gradual thing hence why whole meal should be in limited quantity at the beginning,
Protein is very valuable and needed for so many processes one of these is building muscles to sustain the growth of the bones and to promote independent walking.
Iron is one of the main things and though loads of things contain iron that is mainly absorbed from meat fish and eggs while the iron that vegetables contain has a minimal rate of absorption. (probably at the vegetarian chapter explains how to get enough iron for babies that don't eat meat fish and eggs but I didn't read that one)
Lipids are very important and babies need all categories of lipids even those that for adults are considered not so good as red meat. The rate of it should be sth like 2 data poultry 2 days fish 2 days red meat 1 day vegetarian meal, one egg every day or every other day if baked foods are provided that contain egg.
It's advisable to use olive oil in food, no light products and to prefer olive oil from butter when possible (my understanding here wasn't that butter is harmful just the olive oil has many more benefits than the butter while the lipids available in butter can be found in other sources of lipids too)

Pulses is advisable to not consume in big quantities before 1 year old as they can upset their tummy but if the baby tolerates them there is nth wiring with them.

Hmm I can't remember anything else of great importance, please don't start a debate on all that. There are many ways to do things what I wrote here is not an advice nor how you must do it.

Thanks Hope, that's so helpful. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm certainly not about to start a debate. This is clearly an area where you have read information from better sources than I have and you've made it clear you're just passing that on.

I think from the above that I'm not giving J enough variety in protein sources. We rarely have red meat and so he has only had it one time and we have only given him egg a couple of times. This is easy to sort out. I knew about the fibre but not why. I wasn't aware that the iron in spinach and broccoli weren't readily absorbed.

Many thanks again xx

I can only do tlw with Daisy Grace as she cba with blw. She simply wont pick up food herself. You probs remember our struggles with milk, so im not pushing her but I do find it odd that at 9mths she will still not pick up a single thing and put it in her mouth. She has nothing wrong with her ability -her hand/eye co ordination is perfect. Shes just lazy. Though blw mess stresses me out. Tlw is bad enough lol. Teething defo puts them off and other than what else everyone else is saying I wouldnt worry and keep plugging away. I made peace with the fact that my diva wont eat like this forever. She wont be sat in the high school canteen with her hands on her head and mummy spoon feeding her. She can tolerate big lumps and even things like a popadom if I put it in her mouth-so shes lazy, simple as. Haha. Xx

Hope-very interesting about the milk. As we both have milk haters yet they grow and thrive it cannot be true that all the nutrition comes from milk. Ive always said this. Our girls would not survive on what they take if this was the case.

Im in such a quandry regarding the vegetarian diet. I honestly dont know what to do for the best :/ xx

tapatalking

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back