Baby Number 2 Labour and Energy Fears!!

Cleo100

Reaction score
Hi Mummies,

I have not been on here in about 6 months as my 1st DD has been keeping me busy. I used to use these forums loads with DD1 and found you ladies most helpful! Wondering if you can offer your thoughts/experiences/advice on 2nd babies.

My DD is 14 months and hubbie and I are thinking of trying for our second, the only problem is that I had a HORRIFIC pregnancy and labour with DD1, with everything that could go wrong, going wrong. I can cope with the pregnancy ailments/ gestational diabetes/spd etc as it ends after 10 months however, the thought of having to do a labour like that again actually makes me burst into tears as I type this....! Long story short ...I was overdue and induced, in labour for 6 days, then eventually had a double episiotomy (towards bum and sideways into thigh) as baby was too big for my hips with 100 stitches after needing ventouse and getting 3rd degree tearing, the hospital were useless and left me for 3 days needing 4 units of blood for a transfusion. I was in hospital for 2 weeks and felt I missed out on precious time with my baby as I did not have the energy for her for the first month. My recovery took a long time and I only started to feel normal when DD was 6 months.

My fear of having the second is that the labour may be the same, this makes me think I just can't do it again despite the fact we would love another child. Also some days I find it sooo exhausting with just the 1 baby (and 12 year old stepson) and the house to clean, cooking for everyone, laundry etc and wonder how the hell anyone manages with another baby too?

I think I wont cope with having DD at 24 months and a newborn to cope with as well as my step son and husband and the house to look after, I feel DD may lose out on attention and the house will become a tip ( I struggle at the mo to keep it clean, and keep on top of the laundry and shopping and dinner cooking etc). If any of you are in the same boat and have kids around 14 months apart how do you manage? Do you feel constantly drained or does it not make much of a difference once new baby is more active!? Can you get any houisework/cooking done? Did anyone have two terrible labours in a row or is the second birth easier? Please be honest!!

Any advice/ opinions appreciated as I would hate to make the decision not to have a baby for the wrong, or purely selfish reasons.

Many thanks

Cleo x

my second labour so much easier than my first and kind of hoping 3rd will be same as 2nd.

maybe you should try speaking to someone and finding out if there is a chance of that kind of labour happening again.

i ve never found much difference coping with housework if i cant do something i wont and if i can i catch up with it when kids are in bed. my hubbie also does his share when he not at work or even before he goes to work he will put a load of washing in and wash dishes just to give me a hand.

my 11 year old picks up after himself think that helps a lot too mind you my 2 year old makes enough mess for a nursery full of kids but my house isn t dirty just gets untidy and doesn t take long to clean toys up back in boxes and i also get my 2 year old to help put his toys away.

My second labour was totally different to my first and I think that was due to my out look. I was determined for it to be better and it was - in fact it was pretty must exactly how I'd hoped it would be.

There will be about 17 months between these two. I am determined to cope so I'm not at all anxious about how it will be. I'm sure it will be tough at times but I am totally up for it :)

Hiya Cleo, Welcome back to Pregnancy Forum :wave:

My 2 youngest are 23 months apart and although it's hard work when they're little it's the best space I've ever had between my kids :) I manage the housework the same as I always did....badly :rofl: No I do ok, I let them have free rein of my lounge as its nice and warm for them to play in and I just clean it when they go to bed, takes no time at all if you do it everyday.

As soon as they're in bed the washing machine goes on :) They are 2 and 4 now and they are the most amazing thing I have ever done. I could have stopped with my first 3 (+ lost a little one as well) but I tried for one more and that led to another one and I'm so glad it did :)

Just realised I mentioned nothing about labour, each one was different but with your experience you could certainly either elect for a c/s or be induced earlier :)

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all your answers ladies!

Really appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Cleo x

it couldnt have been more dfferent for me 2nd time round!! 1st time i felt like shit constantly all the way thru, and 2nd time i felt amazing considering!! and my labours honestly couldnt have been more different! i was 23 hours with katie and was pushing for around 2 hours! this time i was barely even in labourr 2 hours and had a 2nd stage of around 5 mins :lol: ph and i haad a 9lb12er first time and an 8lb3 this time!!

That thought makes me want to start trying tonight! Oh, if only I didn't have my period!:oooo: I would LOVE it if 2nd one was just like your experience!

it couldnt have been more dfferent for me 2nd time round!! 1st time i felt like shit constantly all the way thru, and 2nd time i felt amazing considering!! and my labours honestly couldnt have been more different! i was 23 hours with katie and was pushing for around 2 hours! this time i was barely even in labourr 2 hours and had a 2nd stage of around 5 mins :lol: ph and i haad a 9lb12er first time and an 8lb3 this time!!

lmao tbh it put me off doing it again, incase it happened quicker! the MW said they'd just plan a homebirth, leave equipment at the house and train my mum up a bit more :lol:

lol - your post just gave me images of me trying to prepare my mother for something like that - she couldn't cope with bloody knees when I was a child and hates mess, I think she might pass out, vomit or run away! :0)

i'm lucky, my mum was a nurse in the RAF! thought she was gona keel over when i bled on her carpet tho :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back