Baby in own room... how does it work?

Beatlesfan

Reaction score
If you have your baby in their own room perhaps you can answer the following Qs for us...

What do you do if your LO stirs? How long do you give them before checking?

What do you do if they have a "dummy out every couple of mins" crisis? Imogen has this sometimes but it is fairly easy to just lean over to put it back in as she is in with us at mo. Do you keep having to get up and go in room to sort?

Where do you feed your LO if there is no room for chair in their room? Your bedroom/ downstairs/other room?

I guess we will have to try it, and see how we go, I know lots of mums on the forum found their LO slept better when they slept in their own room so maybe Imogen will be fine.

Does your LO sleep in their own room from when they go to sleep at night (e.g. 7pm) or do you keep them with you in lounge say and then take them up with you for your bedtime? What monitors have you found to be most reassuring and best?

I am considering getting a video monitor as I am hard of hearing and although I have an audio monitor I think I might need the visual reassurance. Any recommendations on video monitor?

thanks Ladies.
x

Lola is now in her own room but she doesn't normally stay there all night she ends up in bed with us at about 4/5am.

We given her a bath and put her PJ's on then she will have a story downstairs on the sofa followed by a breastfeed until she falls to sleep then i will carry her upstairs and put her in her cot.

If she wakes up i go up straight away and settle her again normally with the boobie. We have a fold up moon chair in her room as it's not big enough for a nursing chair.

Lola doesn't have a dummy any more she gave it up herself at about 4 months :cheer:

We have a video moniter that we got on offer from aldi i think it was about £60.

She doesn't sleep any better though since putting her in her own room, My mum said she's paying me back because i never slept well until i was 5 years old
:lol:

Holly is in her own room now and yes she definitely sleeps better. She h falls pretty much straight to sleep when we put her down now. She will wake once for a feed between 1-3am and then goes through to 6/7am.

We put her to bed drowsy after a feed and we tend not to let her nap for long periods after 4pm. Her bath/bed routine starts at 6-6.30pm and her last feed is always in the nursery. If I didnt have the chair in there I would still feed her upstairs. If she stirs after this I would leave it 5mins to see if it becomes a cry or is just settling. 9/10 times she will settle pretty quickly.

If she wakes after that I will give it a good 5mins to see if it develops into a cry, if she is babbling after the 5mins I wont go in because that just wakes her up even more and usually after giving herself a talking to she will resettle.

Dummy wise because I dont go in everytime she whimpers now she will settle without it, if she wants it, needs changing etc she will let me know.

On occasions if she has woken early at say 6 and we could all do with an extra hours sleep I will put her in with us because I always give her her first feed in bed so we can all have a cuddle together (its my fave time of day now)

In terms of the monitor we have a Tommee Tippee sensor monitor, it picks up every sound and is so sensitive we would know if there is a problem immediately because the alarm will sound. I personally wouldnt have a video monitor because I would be watching it all the time and I find the sensor pad reassuring enough, so I now get to relax in the evenings.

We put Cara in her own room last week, but she comes in with us at 6/7am. Sometimes she will stir for a feed at around 12am so I bring her into bed with me to feed her, let her get drowsy then pop her back in her cot.
Her usual routine is bath (if bath night), then change, feed and cuddles around 8pm, then cuddles until drowsy with Daddy and then into her cot so she can fall asleep by herself. She has slept better than ever since moving into her own room.
She does have a dummy and will whinge if she drops it but only if she's not quite asleep yet.
If she stirs when we're still up we'll leave it for a couple of minutes then go in if she starts crying.
We live in a fairly small flat so don't use a monitor.

Maddison went into her own room at 2 months and has slept through ever since. She has a bath, change, feed then straight into cot awake or not at 7pm. If she is awake then I put her dreamshow on which makes her sleepy and she nods off. Occasionally she will stir for her dummy but not very often. We have a BT monitor which is very clear. We have a nursing chair in her room but feeding her in your bed would work just as well.
Good luck with moving her into her own room :hug:

Beatlesfan said:

What do you do if they have a "dummy out every couple of mins" crisis? Imogen has this sometimes but it is fairly easy to just lean over to put it back in as she is in with us at mo. Do you keep having to get up and go in room to sort?

Where do you feed your LO if there is no room for chair in their room? Your bedroom/ downstairs/other room?

I guess we will have to try it, and see how we go, I know lots of mums on the forum found their LO slept better when they slept in their own room so maybe Imogen will be fine.

Does your LO sleep in their own room from when they go to sleep at night (e.g. 7pm) or do you keep them with you in lounge say and then take them up with you for your bedtime? What monitors have you found to be most reassuring and best?

I use a BT Digital monitor and it's v sensitive so I can hear everything.

Our night goes like this...

6pm bath/sleeping bag/feed
6.30/7pm into cot - sometimes we might have to do a few runs upstairs to pop the dummy in
11ish - he wakes for a feed. If we're up I feed him in his own room, if I'm in bed my hubby changes him and then brings him to me in bed. He goes straight back into his cot when he's fallen asleep.

During the night it's rare that I have to keep going in to pop his dummy back in and it's a pain in the derriere if I do :wall: When he was poorly and kept spitting it out and crying, I lay him between us on our bed - this is a rare event though.

I was dreading him going into his own room but it's worked very well.

My LO has been in a cot in his own room since 6 weeks old. I get such a better nights sleep myself now :D

I put him in his cot after he's been bathed, put in sleep clothes and fed... around 6-7pm.

He has a cot mobile which will play classical music for 15mins then switch itself off, so I put him to bed awake, then switch this on. Sometimes have to do a bit of shushing with hand on his chest to settle him, but then can usually back out of room & let the music send him off to sleep.

I don't have room for a chair in his room either, so bring him into my bedroom for feeds through the night (keeping lights as low as possible).... but then again I am a single mum, so I don't have a partner to worry about.

I'm now at a stage where I can differentiate his cries, from just wanting attention, to pain or wanting food, and also I kinda know if he's just having a squirm and is gonna settle again - so only go into his room if I'm gonna get him up for a feed, or wind/cuddle him cos he's crying in pain.

I'm using a Tomy Walkabout Classic Advance monitor - which does have a light system (green to red) to show the strength of the noise, so I guess you'd think about going in to check on bubs if it hit red!!!

Thanks everyone, we now have a monitor (TT sensor mat one - bargain from EBAY), a mattress for cot (!) and I think I might be able to squueze a chair in the room too (altho no TV to watch while I am feeding her :( I might fall asleep!) Got to still get a black out blind...heard IKEA are good for those.
We are going to start LO with just same time in the room during day so it's not too much of a shock. Then have her in there for sleeps during day (in moses basket in cot) and then work towards in cot for day and night sleeps.

Thanks for sharing all your advice and experiences.

If you have your baby in their own room perhaps you can answer the following Qs for us...

I can tell by the noises she's making if it's just in her sleep or if she's not gonna settle so I go straight up or give her 2mins to settle herself.

What do you do if they have a "dummy out every couple of mins" crisis?

When Abigail is asleep she spits her dummy out so I can't answer this one.

There was no room in our old house, I used to sit on the top stair to feed DS. I had a 40w bulb in at the bottom so it was dim.

Does your LO sleep in their own room from when they go to sleep at night (e.g. 7pm) or do you keep them with you in lounge say and then take them up with you for your bedtime?

ATM I keep her next to me in her basket, in the sitting room, but she's only got 1" to go before she won't fit so she'll be upstairs from 7pm

What monitors have you found to be most reassuring and best?I have a Tomy walkaround this time. Last time I had one with a sensor pad under his matress, it flashed everytime he breathed. It was reassuring but I have known no fear like when the alarm went off to say he'd stopped breathing. (he hadn't btw!!)Hence not havin one this time round!!

The first night is the hardest, you'll be in there loads :hug: Let us know how you get on!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back