Baby Blankie!

russellmuscle

Reaction score
So I'm starting my first sewing project since I was like 14. I can make cushions etc but nothing fancy.

I came across this lady on facebook who did blankies & pillows made out of bubs first clothing. But her waiting list is over a year. I watched a vid on utube it looks simple (so long as the quilt doesn't get too big)

I am hugely sentimental and have a whole holdall of Jacksons first clothes :shock:

I have designed it, and made my stencils. I hope it turns out nice! I'm gonna start it next week I'm mega excited. My first family heirloom :).

xxxxx

Hope it goes well, I have seen them blankets on Facebook, it's a fantastic idea!

I did some patchwork quilts for my boys there is a thread on here somewhere they were made out of clothes they look and feel amazing. Good luck

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Thanks girls I'm so excited to start it.

I'm not the best sewer in the world but I'm not waiting a year and it'll be more special if I make it I think!

xxxxx

How's the project going? I made my DD and DS blankets out of clothes! His has unfortunately disappeared! But she still has hers! I'm just making a blanket for a friends baby that's almost finished!

Well I've picked out all the clothes, drew up what I'd *like* may not turn out that way but the thing that's kinda holdin me bk is I don't know where to find a place that will embroid a patch as my machine just stitches..

So have to order a back to it but I don't know whether to get a back and front then put on patched and a border because its made from clothes it might not be that bit sturdy or thick but if I put the patches on a front cover I think it might come out better, we'll see...

Ill upload pics when I start, I've got a tonne of housework to get on top of, might be next week I actually get round to sew.

xxxxx

I made the from with clothes and the back with a bed sheet folded in two for extra thickness and its really heavy, you will be suprised at how sturdy it is.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

I thought the middle were the patches were would be really thin ? I suppose the folded fabric is the same as 2 layers but I didn't even think of doing it that way!

All my bedding is brown & tan or cream, doesn't really fit with the design I want or I would use my bedding - I'm gonna need to order in some fabric - does anyone know if fabric is cheaper in stores or ebay ?

xxxxx

I can't wait to see how this turns out! Hope the project is going well.

Don't know if this will help or not, but I made a patchwork santa sack (for OH :lol:) and didn't like the thought of seeing the patches from the inside when you opened the drawstring, so once I'd finished the patchwork panel, I sewed a layer of the backing fabric onto the back - so the front side was effectively double-fabric (one patchwork, the other plain) and then I used another piece of the plain backing fabric for the back of the santa sack.

I have no idea if I've explained that clearly or not - sorry!! But it did help to stop the finished project feeling too flimsy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back