Babies Heart beat - gender?

calphurnia7

Reaction score
Can the babies heart beat determine the gender of the baby? My baby had a heart beat of 148 at 17 weeks.

well I heard this, but my baby's heartbeat was 155-160 up until about 5 weeks ago, and now it is around 130, so i don't think it makes a difference! x

aww I read something that said above 140 isa girl but yeah maybe I am just being too enthusiatic.

Yeah apparently above 140bpm is more than likely a girl.
This is true for my LO as her hb is 160bpm.
But that's probably just coincidence x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

my baby's HB is over 140bpm and he's a boy. Apparently it's a myth and it can only be determined in labour :/ x

I think I am too keen to know but I will just have to wait till May 1st what else can I do hehe

If I remember to post later, I've got two sound files of my baby's heartbeat at 15 weeks, one which was around 130 and then another a minute later that was about 170!! He/she gets excited when I talk, so the heartbeat goes way up. I think it just kinda shows that it must be a myth cos my wee bubs can't be both (hopefully!).
The midwife checked the hb at my last appointment and laughed at the sudden change, went from 131bpm to 158bpm when she was doing the doppler, and she laughed when I explained I do the doppler at home and the baby always gets excited and goes daft when it's on!

I think if you checked the heartrate at different times of the day you would find sometimes it's slow sometimes it's fast, depending on what the baby's doing xx

hahhah that's true, the midwife gave me the stern "don't get nervous if I don't find it immediately as the baby is still behind your pubic bone" barely at 17 weeks anyway, she found the heart beat immediately but then the baby kept moving to avoid the being detected it was hilarious.

Supposedly there is some truth in it, but only AFTER 28 weeks gestation. Baby's heartbeat is still regulating prior to this, so chances are it will change constantly.

At 12 week scan the heartbeat is more likely to be higher anyway, around the 160s. You would probably find that in most cases it has dropped by your next appointment.

My baby's was 160 at 12 week scan, then 135 at 16 week appointment, then 145 on doppler the other day - so constantly changing!

My baby is around the 150/160 bpm mark, but it does seem to vary a bit. I heard this was just a myth, though do wonder as I've heard that some midwives believe it!! So who knows, maybe there is some amount of truth in it, maybe it's true for some. Some say 140 & under is more likely a girl, but I heard it the other way round!! lol xx

My baby's is 140/150 and they hate the Doppler lol. Recently when I try to listen to them I can hear it for about 3 seconds and then they move away. They're probably thinking 'leave me alone mummy!' lol xxxx

just a myth ladies sorry.....mine was 140 and she is most def a little girl :D

apparently its just in labour when they can determine the sex from the hb x

I don't really see how it can be true tbh, every human (and mammal for that matter as far as I'm aware) has a 'fight or flight' reflex and one of the main things that happens is a change in heartrate. This can happen because of stress, or fright, or excitement and is caused by adrenalin or cortisol changes in the body making the heart pump faster. We all know that when we're relaxed our heart rate is slower. After exercise or excitement it's much faster.
I don't really know why this would be different for the bubs, they're practicing everything in there!! They're probably relaxed most of the time, which is when their heartrate is slower, but then there are a lot of exciting things going on and then their heartrate goes up.
Seems like common sense to me? Don't want to argue obviously, but there are just so many myths out there I'd feel silly for saying this one had any kind of likelihood of being true (even in labour, which every woman and baby experiences differently with higher or lower levels of stress and excitement).

Last edited:
My ds was 140's when I was preg except 2 weeks before I had him and it went between 130-170 over an hour period. This baby was 164 at scan and I dont have a doppler so will have to wait for midwife app to find out!

i dont think so. cos at my 17 weeks i had a 'girls' heartbeat.. had my scan 20 weeks nd im having a boy... but hes still got a girls heartbeat apparntly.. but hes deffo a boy lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back