Are we mad!?

DiddlePlumbs

Reaction score
So we're seen a house that we'd really like to buy. But it needs a fair bit of work. The house needs completely re wiring which is gunna cost about 3000 apparently. And then after that it's a lot of cosmetic stuff that my dad will be able to help with as he's a carpenter/was a builder. Things like plastering and and all the doors need rehanging and having the architrave put back up and it also needs a new kitchen.

Is it too much to do? I don't know if we'll get it all done before bumpy arrives. Or if we can afford to get it all done before bumpy arrives.

So I really don't know what to do. We both LOVED the house. It was that feeling you get when something feels right and I can really picture us there.

And with out budget, I don't think we're gunna find anything suitable that DOESN'T need a lot of work doing to it. So surely it's better to take the plunge now and give us that extra time?

GAAAH! What do i do?!

This is the house, the pics are quite flattering lol
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41646098.html

If I were you I'd totally go for it :) if its what you want absolutely go for it!! Good luck xx

If you have the 3 grand to rewire the property then id go for it however I'd have your dad or another builder go in and do an inspection/evaluation for you on other work that needs doing and costings. I'd also take into consideration maybe having a bit more money put aside just incase when they rewire the property they find other problems that could potentially cost you more money to fix.

I agree that for your budget (I'm presuming your budget is a bit more money than the house you linked to is) that you'll struggle to find something that's amazingly beautiful and all singing all dancing but I'd take into consideration while you're looking at other houses to what extent of work do they need doing to them compared to a complete rewire of a house! Xx

I'd also have a look around other properties still just to compare :) if you feel comfy in it as it is then that's a hugeee bonus and this will shine through when you look round other homes.

Ill just say my biggest regret with my previous home was that we bought it in a complete rush because i thought we werent going to have a home for when baby arrived and although I liked it, I didn't love it and it was definitely hard work trying to decorate and do things to it whilst we were living in it xxx

That's my biggest concern, we would literally have enough money to get the mortgage and get the re wiring done. Then like a thousand for any other things.. and then it'd be month to month what we can spare sort of thing. But my parents and granddad can help a lot with all the other bits because they're not major. We have an electrician (OH's cousin) coming out to have a look on Monday so we're going to see how that goes.

We have had a look at several houses already but none of them have had the same feel as this one. I really think we could (eventually after many years lol) make this into our perfect home.

I agree that for your budget (I'm presuming your budget is a bit more money than the house you linked to is) that you'll struggle to find something that's amazingly beautiful and all singing all dancing but I'd take into consideration while you're looking at other houses to what extent of work do they need doing to them compared to a complete rewire of a house! Xx

Yeah our absolute limit is 95 but that's literally the most we'd be able to afford and that also includes using the 2000 of the 3000 that we'd put aside for work on the house :/

:) a little bit mad! But if you can accept you'll live in a dusty merry house while you do it up then go for it. We bought a house and completely renovated it and I'm not sure how I would have coped while doing it while pregnant/had a baby. Just being honest here...

It is great doing up your own house to how you want it though. It took us 4 years to complete. Did most of it in 2 years. Then had to save for the kitchen. Now we're at the point where we need to start redecorating! So it's never ending really :)

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

I'd say go with what you feel & take into consideration the costs.

We must of looked at over 40 houses... then we found this one. There was others that we wanted, liked, wished to live in but as soon as we walked inside of this one we knew straight away it was right.

Luckily, it needed no work at all & was surprisingly very cheap compared to whats out there at this standard. Even smaller property's with more work needed were at £20,000 more !!

You know when you have found the right one.

That's the thing, I feel like it is :( The main positive is that the room that will be babies just needs carpeting/painting (the blue one.) Same with the front room. And there's no mould/damp anywhere. So those two rooms will be fine by the time baby arrives. Is that okay? Or is that selfish on our part?

That's the thing, I feel like it is :( The main positive is that the room that will be babies just needs carpeting/painting (the blue one.) Same with the front room. And there's no mould/damp anywhere. So those two rooms will be fine by the time baby arrives. Is that okay? Or is that selfish on our part?

Selfish?! The baby isn't going to know :) and by the time they do know they'll have a lovely house to live in. Not at all selfish.

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

Probably, but building your home requires a lot of time and effort that some people might not have. And you might set aside a budget and find yourself going way over this, and you probably will because you will be in the mind that you have already spent that money so you will have to see it through to its conclusion no matter what the price, tough one really

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back