Can you rent a property on behalf of someone else?

mookie

Reaction score
Long story short we have had some debt problems as OH was out of work for 6 months last year. The house is on the market and we have taken advice from Shelter on how to deal with the debt.

I think it was a debt relief order and they want both myself and OH to do it, we will have to pay a certain amount every month and what hasn't been paid after a year gets written off.

The problem is once the house is sold we will be renting a property, but having a DRO against your name is like being declared bankrupt, which will mean failed credit checks when renting.

We are moving from Bedfordshire to Norfolk and Shelter advised us to look for a private landlord but thats impossible to do from here.

So could OH's father rent a property on behalf of us? Is it legal?

Any help would be fantastic!
Thank you xx

Your OH's father could certainly speak to landlords and explain that you will be living there but he will be responsible for the rent.....best to be open about it though. Don't see why it would be a problem for most landlords as long as they get paid! I'm trying to rent a house at the moment and am an ex-bankrupt.....landlord isn't bothered about it (though some would be) but it has been suggested that someone act as a Guarantor for me....which means I give him the details of somebody with a good credit record and if the worst came to the worst and I couldn't pay my rent, they will take responsibility for it. Of course you have to find someone kind enough to agree to do that for you, but sounds like your OH's father is willing so good on him :) xxx

DRO shouldn't stay on your credit file for anywhere near as long as actually going bankrupt would.

I've just got approved for a rented house and we have bad debt-they basically said aslong as I didn't have ccj's then that was ok. I was really worried that we'd fail but it all went thru fine x just make sure honest and up front about any debt 1st xx

I think it should be ok, as long as the rent gets paid I think the landlord would be cool with that. X

my OH rented a property once and he has a bad credit record, they did the credit checks and said he would need a guarantor, his sister gave them her details and that was that, its only in case he fails to pay the rent that they would ever contact her. perhaps ur OH father could act as a guarantor x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back