Aptamil and sick!!

kerrie89

Reaction score
I thought O may have reflux due to her constantly being sick. Went to get her weighed last week in the hope of some gaviscon for her and hv said that cos she's putting on weight it wont be reflux and they wouldnt give her anything. I said that i had tried keeping her upright after milk feeds and also started to feed little and often as advised by hv. I said that it hasnt got better but worse! This hv said 'im not calling you a liar but it wouldnt of got worse!!'
Well it has got worse!! Silly woman!

So anyway that got me thinking that maybe its her milk making her sick?? She's on the comfort milk (apatami) and is sometimes sick straight after milk but the she is being progectile sick all throughout the day. Its just shootin out of her. Surely this isnt 'normal' as the hv said. The sick is like water aswell. And she'a definately not having too much.

Anyone else had this problem with this milk or just in general?? Its driving me crazy!'

My LO is on breast milk, so I can't comment on that. But I went to GP with what I suspected was reflux, she prescribed the gaviscon (although you can buy it over the counter I think?). If your HV is putting up road blocks try your GP. Reflux is miserable for everyone as they get really screaming both during and after feeds, so it must be really uncomfortable for them.

I had my lo on Aptimal comfort for a while and he was being quite sicky with it. I moved him onto Hipp organic milk and have noticed a massive improvment, yeh he's still sick sometimes but that can only be expected! He's SO much better than he was. Aptimal Comfort is a bit thicker than normal milks so it could even just be that it's a bit too thick for her tummy? I've had to change Harrys milk a few times untill we found Hipp really suits him.
Also, don't worry about her sick being clear. I was told that the longer it is they're sick after a feed it can go clear cos the formula separates from the water in their tummies :) I hope you get it sorted hun, there's nothing worse than when there's something happening and you don't know what exactly to do!
Lotsa hugs to you & O! xxx

Thanks. I am thinking about changing he milk but will have to change to another comfort milk i think as i dont want to risk her being in pain again! Grr its like a viscous circle!!
Its just awful her being so sick and even though she's not in pain its still awful.
Thats good to know about the cleat sick.
Im going to ring my own hv tomorrow and hopefully she can give me some better advice than the other one??
Xx

It's worth switching formula. LO was projectile sick with breast milk so tried formula on aptamil and was still sick. Since used reflux formula it's stopped but I was thinking of switching milks soon to see if there is a change because although the formula is fantastic it does make his poo hard so I'd like something a bit softer for him.

I've heard good reviews about HIPP organic?xx

My girl was diagnosed with reflux at 4 weeks. I changed her from normal aptamil to reflux aptamil, she refused it. So tried SMA comfort and the change was instant. I kept her upright after feeds too and she stopped the sickness which was also constant. Got the odd bit if she took too much or too fast but in all, big improvement.

However, last 2-3 weeks she's been sick again, fussing, screamin, gargling with feeds so on Sunday after trying everything known to man I took her off comfort and is on sma stage 1. Again the change is instant. No longer screaming and fussing and is draining 5 6oz bottles per day with maybe 1-2oz extra some days.

Both my nephews were on aptamil and never changed so I hadn't realised some babies need changing. The hv I seen suggested staying within the same brand if possible, hence why I went from one sma to the other.

My girl is still being more sick but is putting on weight (be it not fast-shes 15 weeks and 12lbs 4oz on 25th centile). She's not screaming so I'm sure the milk is helping.

Sorry for rambling-no idea why comfort has stopped working for us-its meant to be easier to digest!! :) hope ur wee girl is ok soon xxx

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk-its rubbish tho so can't see tickers or upload pics!

My first was REALLY sick on the comfort milk so I switched back to normal and he was fine :) xx

Thanks everyone. Think i will be changing the milk tomorrow. O is 9 weeks now so im hoping she's not as windy/constipated on the normal milk anymore. I suppose if she is i can try infacol,gripe water and water?? X

Harry was on the comfort milk cos of constipation and he's been fine since we took him off it :) poos like a trooper now hehe!
When they're such a young age it's all trial and error, all you can do is try things and if they work, great! If not you just try something else, you just need to find what's best for you & your lo! Really hope changin her milk helps! Xxx

my twins are on normal aptamil and they always bring some of it back up if not all, it's really frustrating. there's only the odd occasion where they don't bring anything up but normally it involves at least one change of clothes. i don't know whether to change their milk though, really want to avoid that if i can as i know it can affect their tums. i know some spit up is fine but it's seriously loads of sick.

i'd say if your bubs still doesn't do well when you change them over it might be worth getting tests done to make sure they aren't allergic to milk as i've read that is possible.

Last edited:
Hi Hun, my lo was diagnosed with severe acid reflux at 3 weeks old. She failed to gain weight and dropped nearly 3 centiles so she had to go on domperidone and ranitidine. Gaviscon did nothing for her. We tried different brands of milk, comfort, reflux formulas, nutramigen etc but the one that worked for her was the aptamil ready made. We had her on the powdered anyway but being on the ready made permanently there was an almost instant change in her. Apparently it's easier to digest. It might be worth a try. We spent a fortune on different milks that just ended up being thrown away.
I'm happy to say we took Mia off her meds two weeks before Xmas and she is still absolutely fine. Unfortunately the drs don't seem to worry unless lo is losing or failing to gainweight or is in pain but if it's bothering you keep pestering them. That's the only way they'll take notice. Xx

Last edited:
Also ready made is recommended for constipation. My midwife suggested it xx

Hipp is great for making babies poop. A Hipp baby has yellowish seedy poop, more like a breastfed baby's poop.

on aptimel by LO wasnt going very often, every 3 days or so and was always in pain with it, even though I gave her water every day.

since moving to Hipp she poops every day! Her immune system is also amazing, has sailed through all her jabs so far and has been around sicky babies or babies that have come down with bugs going around but she has never had so much of a sniffle! All the "friendly bacteria" is doing the trick.

Try changing to cow and gate, scbu swear by for premature babies, stops the sickness, aptimil is a milk especially used for babies with low sugar, also their tummy holds lots of water so if sick maybe more water than milk but just looks like milk, id defo get a few little cartons of cow and gate to try xx

Well i had a right day. My dad rushed to hospital this morn. I rang to speak to hv and the lady at reception said she was busy but was at the weigh in clinic if i wanted to see her so i said i'd walk down. Almost fell a dozen times in the ice. When i got there the lady who does weigh ins said my hv wasnt doing the clinic but i could go upstairs and ask the lady on reception who said she was in and speak to her upstairs. So carried O up two flights of stairs where it was like a bloomin sauna. Sat for 15 mins while the lady at reception moanes about her workload and staff being ill to someone on the phone and blatently ignored me. I felt like i was going to explode i was that hot never mind O. So anyway the lady gets off the phone and tells me that my hv has now gone out but will be back at 2 (it was 10am) so i just turned round walked back down to the clinic where i nearly burst into tears to the lady in there. She was so nice and remebered us from last week. Weighed O and she's put on weight fine so she was telling me not to change milk and it was normal. She said she knows its hard not to worry. I didnt have the energy to tell her that i was upset cos of my dad in hosp and me making a special trip to see my hv only to find out she's not even here.

Grrrrr

So i think im going to wait to speak to my hv on the 11th feb and see what she says. I am sure this amount of sick isnt normal!!! But i just dont know what to do for the best.

Not a good day :-(

Sorry for the long post

Personally I'd forget the hv and just get app with your gp, that's what I did gp was so more helpful and prescribed Gaviacon to try, which works so well for us - not often lo is sick now :) xx

Elsie was prescribed gaviscon straight away by the gp when I explained how much sick there was si I'd agree and say make an appointment to see them instead rather than waiting until feb. hope you're ok xx

Last edited:
if your going to try gaviscon id try reflux milk first,just my opinion xx

If you are given Gaviscon just keep an eye on LO cos it can give them constipation. Not every baby gets it with gaviscon but I know a lot do. Harry was on it but I took him off it cos he got bad constipation xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back