Anyone had a home birth?

lesleyann23

Reaction score
I know its ages away but my mw suggested a home birth and I'm starting to think maybe its a good idea. I just wondered about peoples experiences and also pain relief I had my first on gas and air so not wanting more this time.

I am planning to have a home birth, I have hired a heated pool and plan on following the Hypnobirthing techniques. I even look forward to the whole thing sometimes!!

i would of liked a home birth but i dont want my other kids worrying to much about me or seeing me in pain, i going to try and do much as possible at home though x

I'm the same as cocopops, home birth with pool and hypnobirthing. I don't plan to use anything else and also looking forward to being at home and relaxed, I hated being in hospital last time and knew after I had my daughter I wouldn't go down that route again unless there is complications out of my control of course!

I want one but everyone else is against it so hospital it shall be :(

According to a friend of mine who is a nurse, midwives are given financial incentives to get women to have home births! I'm hospital all the way but this is my first so I don't now how things will go, if I have an ok birth this time then I might consider it for the next one but then again I hate the idea of something going wrong and knowing that had I been in hospital something might have been done quicker - I wouldn't be able to forgive myself x

Last edited:
As I am low risk I would give birth in our local birthing suite which does not have any doctors or operating facilities in it so in my opinion no different to a home birth. My house is actually nearer to the local hospital if something went wrong. If something went wrong at the birthing suite I would be transferred to the hospital 12 miles away and my house is 7 miles away. Midwifes are fully trained and women have been giving birth for ever - its the most natural thing in the world and I feel most comfortable at home. However we all have to do what we feel comfortable with as its such a personal experience and also some ladies are not as lucky to be able to have the choice
xxx

I am a midwife and I definitely don't get any kind of financial incentive for women who have home births!! If I did I would be begging women to birth at home :)

I will hopefully be having a home birth if my pregnancy continues to be low risk, as a midwife and working in a hospital, I couldn't think of anywhere worse than being in hospital to have my baby!! As midwives we always try and give the women the experience that she wants, but I know from experience that home births are a lot more relaxed, calm and beautiful hence why I will definitely be going for one if I can :) x

Thanks everyone, my first was in a mw led centre and my midwife thinks it will be best for me I don't believe she has any other incentive than what she thought I might like. She didn't even suggest it with my first. I want a home birth but I'm scared. It's a long time away yet tho so I will see how I feel closer to the time.

I would say just read up lots and get as much info as possible, you don't really need to decide until around 34 weeks so plenty of time to see what is right for you.

I don't want to put you off, but do some research into staffing levels. If you can speak to someone who is a midwife in the area who is honest about it that would be good.
I wanted a home birth but went into labour on a friday night and was told there were no midwives available so would have to 'cross my legs' until 8am the next day. So much for me being calm and relaxed at home - I promptly started worrying. I got midwives coming to see me Saturday daytime but at 7pm they were pretty much saying hurry up cos if I didn't give birth before the 9pm changeover then there wouldn't be midwives available overnight again. More worrying and stress for me, which I strongly believe caused my body to not 'give in' and labour went extremely slowly. Decided to go into hospital in the end cos I couldn't deal with being told to 'hang on' and then 'hurry up'.

Sorry if this worries you but felt I ought to share as I wish I'd have just gone to hospital in the first place - may have saved me a 36 hour labour! :)

Thanks that's really helpful definatly will ask about it. Id have never thought to ask

After being under consultant led care for all of my pregnancy I have finally been discharged to GP care as 'low risk' so home birth is definitely on the cards for me :dance:. The two community midwives have been very supportive, unfortunately we have to move to Milton Keynes at the end of the month so I'll be cared for by completely different team there. In some ways it's better as our new house is just 14 min away from the hospital. Hope they'll be just as supportive of my desire to be at home (haven't heard anything negative so far).

We're not hiring a pool or anything like that as it's not a major thing for me. I just want to be in control in my own house, warm and dark, where I won't be bothered and watched by lots of strangers and won't be separated from my husband :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back