water birth

confuzed 88

Reaction score
hi hope this is right place to post this, has anyone here had a water birth?
I really want to have one and would like to know of peoples experiences

Thanks xx

Can't say I have any experience :p but yes they look very appealing (from watching them on tv), I'd love to have one too. xxx

Hey i cant really give you answers either but i have also always wanted a water birth and im not even preg yet lol.

Hope you get the info you would like :). Amy x

again cant help but would love to have one, i have no chance though unless i go into labour whilst n the bath.

I want one, and have had one friend who had one - and she raved about it!!!

Said it was very relaxing and calming, although you can only have gas and air - but she said that she didnt feel the need for anything else, due to being in warm water.
She said the main benefit was the position you are in, leaning againbst the side, rather than being on your side, which meant gravity had a bit of an effect. Also, she said the midwifes kind of have to leave you to it, so to speak, as they cant see whats going on as well, so its all down to you!
She also said as he came up from under the water, it was very serene, and he wasnt crying or anything - a very calm way of coming into this world I think!

From what she has said, I am hoping I get the chance to at least give it a go!
x

I spent some time in the birthing pool when i was in labour. I was really looking forward to it as a lot of people had said that it was really relaxing and eased the pain of contractions. I found it quite the opposite. I was really uncomfortable in there and it brought my contractions on a lot stronger (but i was only using paracetmaol) I managed 3 hours and decided id had enough and got out as i was really cold. But i have heard a lot of really positive things about water births and each woman and each labour is different xxx

I had a waterbirth 5 months ago and
loved it! i got to the hospital at 10am
was examined i was already 6cm got
into the birthing pool at 11am and my
little girl was born at 3.58pm! i only
had gas and air for a little while, they
kept topping the pool up with warm
water so i didn't get cold. i stayed in
the water for a while after then they
cut the cord i got out and delivered the
placenta on the bed, i'll defiantly opt
for a water birth next time, highly
recommend it! x

^^ sounds nice. My labour was too quick for a water birth :(

I spent some time in the pool and it really does make the pain easier to cope with.

I had to get out once because my temp went up, and couldn't stay in to have her as I couldn't wee and had to have a cathater (if I didn't I could have damaged my bladder).

So def give it a go, but there are reasons why you can't stay!

Im 100% set on water birth so far and everyone Ive spoken to has raved in a good way about it :)

I like the sound of it and am definitely thinking of spending at least some part of labour in water...but silly question...what do you wear?? I am a very self conscious person and would not be happy to sit there naked like a beached whale, so that puts me off....also does hubby come in with you or sit outside? xx

I like the sound of it and am definitely thinking of spending at least some part of labour in water...but silly question...what do you wear?? I am a very self conscious person and would not be happy to sit there naked like a beached whale, so that puts me off....also does hubby come in with you or sit outside? xx

Oh god, im not sitting there like a beached whale, lol, showing everything!
I have a nice maternity tankini from mothercare, and I suppose you just wear the top bit??
Im just going off what I saw on OBEM, where she was wearing a bikini top.

My hubby wouldnt get in it with me if I paid him, lol - he is very put off by the blood and gunk in the water - which is fine by me, he would probably get on my nerves if he was in there with me!
x

Oh god, im not sitting there like a beached whale, lol, showing everything!
I have a nice maternity tankini from mothercare, and I suppose you just wear the top bit??
Im just going off what I saw on OBEM, where she was wearing a bikini top.

My hubby wouldnt get in it with me if I paid him, lol - he is very put off by the blood and gunk in the water - which is fine by me, he would probably get on my nerves if he was in there with me!
x

Oh God I'd look awful even in a tankini and a bikini top is a definite no no, lol....

I've just packed a bikini so I can wear the top but don't think they would mind whatever you want to wear could just get in with a nightie on x

i really wanted a water birth. was set on it from the beginning and i ended up developing pre-eclampsia and so because of the risk of infection. but i was allowed to labour in a bath which was amazing! I spent 2 of my 3hr labour in a pool and it was a huge relief!

i deffo want a water birth, the pools at the maternity suite where im giving birth are absolutely huuuuge i cant wait to get in!! :)

Ellie wants to have a water birth. we saw the rooms in birthing suite at lewisham hospital the other week and was both shocked. the rooms are like 5 star hotel rooms. massive bath, big tv and double bed. all we have to do to get in that room is make sure he come naturally not induced.

midwife also told us that it would be a good idea to wear the bikini's with the strings on side so will be easier to remove when baby is ready to come out.

Ellie wants to have a water birth. we saw the rooms in birthing suite at lewisham hospital the other week and was both shocked. the rooms are like 5 star hotel rooms. massive bath, big tv and double bed. all we have to do to get in that room is make sure he come naturally not induced.

midwife also told us that it would be a good idea to wear the bikini's with the strings on side so will be easier to remove when baby is ready to come out.

There are a few other things that prevent u having a water birth!
-I had protein in my wee and so was infection risk
- you or baby have a high temp
- your waters have been broken for 24hrs or more
- you've had drugs such as pethedine

I really wanted a water birth but as i had lots of protein i couldnt but they did let me labout in a bath which was the next best thing and 100% worth it

I couldnt have a water birth cos I had lots of intervention, but I was on the antenatal ward in early labour (but stupid strong contractions thanks to induction) and they had a big corner bath which I practically moved into. I swear I shouldve just moved my stuff in there! It helped sooo much with the pain. I nearly fell asleep in there through my contractions, the combination of warm water and hypnobirthing was amazing! Im gonna push for a water birth next time even though Im 'high risk' its really important to me to get one if there isnt a great reason why not.

also if someone beats you to the pool then you obviously cant use it! :( sucks but good luck! I hope you get the chance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back