Anyone elses parents not going to be around?

ss79

Reaction score
My Dad has just told me he's off to Australia at the end of September. Bean is due mid October so he won't get to see them till they are a few months old whenever he decides to come back.

I asked if anyway he can stay till later in the year but apparently not, (long story).

Just wondering if anyone elses parents won't be around to meet their new grandchild? :(

Mine will get to meet it but they live in Ireland and i am in the UK so its not like they are around the corner and can see it when they like.
I'm dreading it to be honest... I have nobody over here in terms of support/help. OH's mother has dementia and cannot be trusted with a child as its quite advanced. She is the only member of his family in England.
I know I can always call my mum for advice, but I really envy people whose families are nearby :(

Aww, that's kinda rotten luck. My folks stay a 4hour drive from us, so although they'll come up to see bubs when they arrive, it'll prob be a while between visits.

You'll need to make sure he's tech savvy and introduce them via skype.

Xxx

Last edited:
Know how your feeling, not quite Australia but I live in Scotland and all my family are 500 miles away in England and hubby's are in wales. It's rubbish sometimes I rely on my friends who are in the same position really. My hubby works offshore in australia so my biggest worry is going into labour early and him not getting home in time and no mum about! Me and my friends are all ex military and kind of ended up living here after leaving so at least we all have each other and understand, I know I can rely on them. My mum and dad will come up just after baby is born for a few days though.

I'm the same as jomc but the other way round; I live in Northern Ireland and my family are in the UK. My mum was whinging because I said I only want my husband in the room during labour (which I think is perfectly reasonable) so I compromised and said she could be in the hospital just not in the room the whole time and now shes saying as soon as the baby is born she'll come... so god knows when that'll be. And the worst part of it all is she said she'll help me with the baby when she comes over (ie feeding her and getting up in the night) and I said actually it would be a big help to do things I actually need help with ie cleaning and she basically said she's not my cleaner/slave...needless to say I dont have a good relationship with her!! So yeah I don't really have anyone else over here for help and support... but I'm confident me and OH will be okay :) xx

My dad only lives an hour away, he might pop in once to see my new arrival but i won't hold my breathe!

My parent's live 10 minutes away, it can be 2-3 months, sometimes longer between visits as they just can't be bothered to see me or my son so I doubt it will change when my baby is born. :hugs:

my OH's mum and sister live over 200 miles away and were supposed to be coming down last week, for a week but didn't (for no reason, just couldn't be bothered) so now that i've gone over due and they won't be able to book holiday from work ect they aren't going to see little man (when he finally decided to arrive) till christmas! which has really annoyed my OH as we can't get up to theirs very easily, and will now be even harder with a small baby! the only (kind of) plus side is my OH's dad lives with us (very long story, but he has a hypoxic brain injury) my parents are also not far away but ultimately it will be just me and my OH!

It's sad that so many Grandparents will miss out on the early days of their new Grandchildren's lives. Sadly I lost both my parents in the last couple of years. I am so sad that they will not get to meet and be a part of my baby's life :( My Mother-in-law lives 300 miles away from us and is in poor health, so cannot visit us. We will try to make the journey up to see her, but probably not until Baby is at least a few weeks old.

It's sad that so many Grandparents will miss out on the early days of their new Grandchildren's lives. Sadly I lost both my parents in the last couple of years. I am so sad that they will not get to meet and be a part of my baby's life :( My Mother-in-law lives 300 miles away from us and is in poor health, so cannot visit us. We will try to make the journey up to see her, but probably not until Baby is at least a few weeks old.
I think its sad too, although i do believe that my daughter is better off without her maternal grandad (he's a bit of a waste of space sometimes) but it makes me sad to think that because her paternal grandad is no longer with us, that she'll never get to meet such a wonderful person and is stuck with a loser instead!

I think its sad too, although i do believe that my daughter is better off without her maternal grandad (he's a bit of a waste of space sometimes) but it makes me sad to think that because her paternal grandad is no longer with us, that she'll never get to meet such a wonderful person and is stuck with a loser instead!

Yeah, life seems so unfair sometimes, huh?

Yeah, life seems so unfair sometimes, huh?
Really unfair, i'd swap them round if i could. Fortunately, i have stepdad whose very excited at the thought of having another granddaughter even though she isn't his by blood and he's really honoured that he's going to be the main grandfatherly figure in her life as he and my mum only live down the road

My family are all in the UK and I'm in Italy, my mum is coming on 24th (she reckons babies are never born on their due date!) for a few weeks and I really hope she gets here for the birth. My MIL is elderly and may pop in but I am pretty much resigned to the fact that it's all down to us after my mum leaves.

my mum and dad live 3 houses away and mum comes to mine twice a day to put her horses in the field and then take them home, it can be weeks between times i see her or sometimes i'll see her most days, OH's dad lives half an hour away and will be seeing LO when its born but his mum lives a 6 hr drive away and so probably wont see babs as much but hey ho we wouldnt leave her with baby alone anyway as she has a bit of a drink problem lol

I live in NZ and all my family are in ireland and won't get to meet baby till we travel over when she's 3/4 months old. Was the same with baby no.1. It's hard but no point dwelling on it as it was my decision to move over here.

My inlaws are mauritius and my parents are way up north. only see them every 2 months or so.

My OH's mum wont be seeing the baby when shes born because she's just not interested in her at all! My mums done everything for us and helped us with so much! When I would be at her house I would bring up the subject of the baby and she would change the subject, we've just had a big fall out too! So we're not even on speaking terms with her... As for OH's dad im not sure, he's in hospital at the moment after suffering with a relapse of M.S (Theres also been a few other complications) But my mum, dad, step-dad and step-mum are deffinatly going to see my baby when shes born :) x

my parents and oh parents live in different countries.... thanks God for skype and videocameras...

My Mum lives about 2hrs drive from us and we live with my OH's parents atm so all will be very involved. I haven't seen my sperm donor since I was about 6 as he's not interested in knowing me in the slightest, so my baby will never know it's maternal grandfather, this doesn't upset me one bit as he's nothing to me. But other than that all other future Grandies will be part of our child's life :D xx

My mum and dad both live abroad. My mums over staying with us and will help with childcare as have to go back to work early . My dad can't get back as he is looking after his sick brother so has only seen him on web cam and by pictures I email him. My ohs dad only came to visit lo in special care once and hasnt seen him since and ohs brother hasn't bothered to see him at all?! Im quite independent so not too bothered anyway by it but sad my dad can't get back xx

---
-

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back