Anybody who's parents paid for their wedding, I need help!!!

evemarie8

Reaction score
What did you buy your folks as a thank you gift? And how much would you recommend we spend?
My parents are spending about £25,000 on our big day in less than 3 weeks and I still haven't sorted this out, everytime I come up with an idea I question myself to much as to whether they will like it or whether it's expensive enough! The whole thing is making me feel really ill now so any suggestions would be very welcome,

Thanks in advance,

Eve x

i brought my mum a necklace cant remember what i got my dad, it didnt cost loads but then my wedding didnt cost as much as yours is.

how about jewerlly for your mum.

I did think about seperate gifts especially as it's my mom who has done all the planning and stressing, but then what do I get for my Dad? I think a joint present would be easier and maybe cheaper (I know that sounds awful as they are spending so much but we are not exactly flush and also in the process of trying to move house as well) than trying to buy two different gifts??

I paid for my Dad to have a weekend away to a hotel in the West Coast as he loves it there.

SarahH said:
I paid for my Dad to have a weekend away to a hotel in the West Coast as he loves it there.

We have thought about this but how did you plan it without asking him if he could make the dates? My parents are always away and otherwise they both work too so I don't know how to organise something like that without asking them before the wedding which seems slighty wrong?

We presented both Mums with a huge bouquet of flowers on the day and had separate gifts for Mums and Dads too but I cant remember what they were :oops:

Yeah I was going to suggest paying for them to go away for a week or so.

Even if it cost you £2000 to send them somewhere REALLY nice for a week, its alot bloody cheeper than your wedding.

LMAO @ Kayte, she cracks me up!!

Snuggle, we already have the flowers sorted for my mum, nan, brads mum ect I can't get over how much all of this costs!

HertsMummy said:
Yeah I was going to suggest paying for them to go away for a week or so.

Even if it cost you £2000 to send them somewhere REALLY nice for a week, its alot bloody cheeper than your wedding.

:( I wish I had that much to spend on them, but the simple fact is, if they weren't paying for it we just wouldn't be getting married because we couldn't afford it!

How about doing a montage of old photos, family holidays Clark, your baby photos and put it in a nice frame? Something to bring on the tears lol

LilysMummy said:
How about doing a montage of old photos, family holidays Clark, your baby photos and put it in a nice frame? Something to bring on the tears lol

My Mom, cry, I think not! She will want something of material value, she isn't exactly the sentimental type!!!! :roll:

we didn't give my dad anything... :oops: he knows how much we appreciate him though and he really wouldn't have expected or even wanted anything.

tbh though it was all too soon after my mum's death (6 weeks) for us all. maybe if the wedding had been at a different time, we'd have got him something...

we bought joe's mum a bouquet as she bought my wedding dress for me. flowers are the traditional gift for the mothers.

if you just want to get him a token something, how about a really nice pair of cufflinks / watch - something he can look at and have memories of a special day for you all? i love lilysmummy's idea too!

:hug: :hug:

Diamonds... you cant go wrong with a mother an diamonds surely!?

A nice bracelet mabey - sure you can pick them up 300-500quid, and thats expencive!! And a pair of cufflinks for dad?!

We got the in laws, my parents and sil nice photo frame frame and got in engraved on the back with a little message then when the photos were sent through got them to choose which photo they wanted to go in it.

Cost about £25 per photo frame and then the photo on top.

We had a cheap wedding (£6000) total incl honeymoon and paid for half ourselves.

evemarie8 said:
SarahH said:

We have thought about this but how did you plan it without asking him if he could make the dates? My parents are always away and otherwise they both work too so I don't know how to organise something like that without asking them before the wedding which seems slighty wrong?

My Dad is always away on business too, but I just booked it for months in advance so he could either change his schedule or still had time to change it to his prefered dates

Hazel said:
We had a cheap wedding (£6000) total incl honeymoon and paid for half ourselves.

Cheap wedding! Ours was £1000 including honeymoon, outfits and rings - and the rings were £500!!! :rotfl:

As for the gifts, definitely diamonds for mum (we just got a gorgeous necklace for Jim's mum's 60th for £400 - discounted of course ha ha) and cufflinks or something for dad. Dads are so much harder to buy for though :rotfl:

Hazel said:
We got the in laws, my parents and sil nice photo frame frame and got in engraved on the back with a little message then when the photos were sent through got them to choose which photo they wanted to go in it.

Cost about £25 per photo frame and then the photo on top.

Hazel, you may well have just saved my what to do for my bridesmaids query! I could get them photo frames and then get them each a picture after the day! Thats brilliant! Thank you!!!!

I am just off for lunch with Lilysmummy now so keep the ideas coming you have all made me feel better already! :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back