Anti-biotics and breastfeeding - Ciprofloxacin

Rosie's Mummy

Reaction score
I have been taking these tablets for 3 days now for kidney infection. The doctor looked it up and said it was fine and then said that the book said they shouldnt be taken - then he said they are just covering themselves. Well I thought that was fine and took his word for it being a doctor. I just looked at the data sheet and it specifically says you must not breastfeed your child during treatment with Ciprofloxacin due to risk of malformation of joint cartilage and other harmful effects in the breastfed infant.

So I just phoned the surgery and the fucking receptionist said 'well you wouldnt take one tablet with another if you took any notice of what those sheets say' so I told her that this specifically relates to breastfeeding, she was really really off with me and I dont know how I managed to keep my cool.

What do you think? The doctor is phoning me back at lunchtime about it but she just made me feel like a complete twat! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!:wall2::wall2::wall2:

I would stop taking them and ask for something else just to be safe. I can't believe he said it's ok if it specifically says not to! I would be fuming! X

What is it about f@@king doctors receptionists that make them think they are so bleeding superior. They're all the same!!
I'd stop them too and rip chunks out of the doctor for sure! I'm sure he'll be ok, the short amount of time you have taken them can't gave done any harm xxx

I can't believe this. I have just looked at the side effects list in the data sheet - I know its only precautionary but I have just found Matt's rash in the rare side effects list. His rash is known as 'petechiae' and it is caused by inflammation of the blood vessels and there is it staring at me from the data sheet. I now have something solid to tell the doctor and I won't be taking any more of them. FOR FUCKS SAKE!! If anything has happened to Matt because of these tablets Im going to put my bare hands around that doctor's throat!!

Sorry I should have said that he was sent to hospital yesterday presenting with this rash - it is the same rash that presents with meningitis - the blood vessels 'leak' and cause this pink prick type rash under the skin, it can be caused by viruses too but too much of coincidence for it not to be the anti-biotics!

I feel a huge big letter of complaint in the making!!! One for the doctor who is quite clearly an idiot! And another for the bloody receptionist! None of her bloody business and certainly not qualified or employed (insured) to be giving out any sort of medical advice! Absolutely disgusting, hope you get a different GP who can help. :hug:

I'd have marched right into the surgery and ripped the receptionists head off! Silly bitch!!

:strangle: hmmma receptionist advising someone to ignore the leflet that comes with medication that is usually entitles "Important - read this before taking" or something along those line :wall:

That could get very expensive if she were taken to court for giving out incorrect medical advice, especially as Im assuming she doesnt have insurance to cover it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back