Annonymous reporting of tax credit fraud, would you?

I have reported someone and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. It's people like that who give people like me a bad name!

That's true pinky.
I do know of a woman who gets disability... Single mum. Has 5 kids. I remember her tellin me a few years ago (were not in contact now) that she got approx 700pw.... An didn't pay rent or council tax.
U know when you are just gobsmacked!
Tho last I heard her disability was removed. Thank god!!!! She def had no mobility problems! X

After spending weeks and being in tears and running around everywhere, I just cannot understand how people can scam it!!!! It took enough work and commiment just to get the damn thing with all the proof, let alone trying to say about something thats untrue.

I think I would turn someone in if they were just taking the piss. But then again, if it was a family member and I knew theyd be in serious trouble because of it then I might reconsider.

Leanne its true, there is a stigma with claiming benefits :( I don't like telling people I get what I do because some people think its unfair (i.e. my sister). I cant wait until Im working and can say Im earning what I get.

That's exactly how I feel melio. When I left Uni and it was a sudden panic for my partner to get a job, coz he was going to look after the youngest, it was like oh crap! Took 3 months to find a job. And he's only contracted to do 25 hours a week at minimum wage. And only a 6 month contract!
So I'm now looking at doing a teaching assistant home course.
I hate people knowing what benefits we get. Because we do get quite a lot of help. But we can't help that with there being no jobs and my whole mental health issues.
Also u r so right! We provided everything they asked for and still had to jump through hoops. I don't understand how people physically manage to get away with benefit fraud?! X

I almost reported someone last week but I thought karma will come back and bite me in the bum ( even though they are in the wrong )
She has already been caught but now claims she isn't with the dad when he lives there and she is claiming all sorts. Also has a job which is cash in hand so claims for all sorts for that too. It really angers me because me and my OH are hard working people and will struggle this year but will be entitled to just £20 per week! X

What goes around comes around is my motto.

Having worked for the benefits system I've seen people get caught that have been at it for years. What people don't realise is that all they systems talk to one another and there are downloads and updates daily to catch people like benefit cheats.

So in the long run they will eventually get caught, karmic boomerang and all that.

Emma that was like the woman I reported, 3 kids, said the father of the kids didn't live there and she was also working cash in hand. He worked as well. Sad thing is she's a heroin addict,they were both abusive to the kids. It was a really horrible situation to be in. But in the end I reported them to social services as well as benefits. I couldn't turn a blind eye because I had seen bruises etc. It was really scary, she knew I had reported them (they'd been reported before) She threatened to kill me, even though she had told me he had been abusive to the kids. It was a very hard lesson in watching the type of people you get friendly with.........never again.

Mel and Leanne, I don't know how people have the energy to do it either, it seems like alot of hard work and not worth it really because I believe that you'd get caught in the end. Its hard enough just to claim benefits never mind scam the system.

x

I wouldn't have a problem reporting someone...

The system is there to help people that REALLY need it. It's because of people that are scamming it that it's getting reviewed and there's sucha bad stigma attached to it.

OH and I will be claiming some as we'll need some help so we can both finish uni...It's the people that don't bother and lie about their circustances that really bother me :(

I know of someone who has CFS (so its one of them illnesses that some people dont think exsist) Yes was fine out for a few hours but when she went home she would go straight to bed and be there for a few days. People didnt see this side of things and though scammer dosnt wan to work ect and reported her. She had everything taken away, and now struggles to pay for things as now she can only have income suport.

But it annoys me a lot (dont get me started lol) when you see these people out walking with a stick and they obviously dont need it, My mum was on holiday and saw this first hand someone looked like he could hardly walk untill the party at night when he danced lovely.

People spoil it and give a bad name to the people who genunly need the help and benifits.
I was watching something ages ago and the people who admited they were claiming falsely and did it because they could have more money than to work.

I agree with what everyone has said. But I have to admit I wouldn't do it. I'd be far too scared that it would come around in some way and something would happen to me over it.

Theres so many ways the system can be cheated, not only people who fraudulently claim tax credits, but also people who claim income support and other benefits just because they are overweight, alcohol/drugs dependant, to me, thats fraud too, except the govt allows it.

I dont know anyone who does it, but I do know someone who is on full incapacity benefit, with housing benefit for a private let, they have a brain tumour and doc has signed them off work due to having fits ect. Yet the govt pays for her car. So the same people who are saying she cant work due to fits are also paying for her to drive about on our roads. Its not fraud, but its just another example of a messed up system. she's having a laugh about it, and this year she has been on 3 holidays already.

I worked for HMRC and they have a significant amount of resources that go into fraud. And even if someone is shopped, HMRC would still need their own proof before anything could be done. The amount of fraud that comes from businesses is a hell of alot more than the money thats wasted on individuals, therefor most of there fraud dept is concentrated on business. (tax fraud) - I'd personally be more annoyed about these businesses who refuse to pay the correct tax, a couple of thousand extra from tax credits is nothing compared to what these companies are getting away with. Food for thought.

Little miss, I get where ur coming from. Just personally dont like some of ur examples. Ie the woman with a braintumour. She must be allowed to drive. And I duno, I guess it's just me but I don't blame her for taking holidays. She's entitled to the money. Clearly isn't having the easiest of times. That is not fraud!
If people are not being deceptive then it's not fraud.
I duno I guess the tumour one jut bothered me. Sorry if this is snappy, but if u haven't been there,, u don't know
X

And I don't necessarily agree that obese- not overweight, alcoholics etc get nemesis. But that also is not fraud because the government does allow it. In some cases it is necessary

I know of someone who has CFS (so its one of them illnesses that some people dont think exsist) Yes was fine out for a few hours but when she went home she would go straight to bed and be there for a few days. People didnt see this side of things and though scammer dosnt wan to work ect and reported her. She had everything taken away, and now struggles to pay for things as now she can only have income support.

Surely they would investigate and only take away benefits she's not entitled to? Doesn't make sense that they would take away something she was entitled to, even if someone did report her.

Leanne I am in agreement with you, have absolutely no problem with people recieving what they are entitled to, if I was entitled to anything, I would claim it. My problem is with the people who think they deserve more than other people in the same situation and lie about their circumstances to get it. X

Little miss, I get where ur coming from. Just personally dont like some of ur examples. Ie the woman with a braintumour. She must be allowed to drive. And I duno, I guess it's just me but I don't blame her for taking holidays. She's entitled to the money. Clearly isn't having the easiest of times. That is not fraud!
If people are not being deceptive then it's not fraud.
I duno I guess the tumour one jut bothered me. Sorry if this is snappy, but if u haven't been there,, u don't know
X

Unfortunately I have been in those shoes, I suffered from cancer from a young age. Maybe I didn't make myself clear, she got signed off her work from the doctor, due to being unfit to work (totally understandable, as she was having fits) I have no problem with her getting money off the govt due to being unfit to work, but what I could never understand was why the govt gave her vouchers to buy a car, and they now give her money to keep the car running. She suffers fits and is unable to work, she could have a fit at any time/place, including while she is driving, which not only endangers her and her daughters life, but also the lives of other road users. I'm not sure of the exact laws behind it, but i'm sure the DVLA needs to be informed if the driver suffers any sort of blackouts ect. I just dont understand why she would get signed off work due to fits and the govt still funds her to drive. Does that make any sense?

Also, regarding the holidays, I personally dont think the govt should be giving people enough money to spend 1k each on 3 foreign holidays a year. Yes, she's going through a difficult time along with others who have illnesses, i have a friend who's child has lukemia and she is desperately trying to get funded by a charity to take her child on his first ever holiday. If it was one holiday a year you can totally understand that but 3 is a bit OTT. Especially given the fact that she is on the same amount of money as drug users who are unable to work....in other words, if she can afford it, so can the rest of them. I am a tax payer and i'm defo not happy about my money being used in this way.

She would need to contact the dvla to tell them shes no longer allowed to drive. Unless she does that, then she can drive, unless the worst were to happen while she was driving and she got into an accident, in which case dvla would be notified by the police. Thats why shes still getting money for the car. I dont really think the government should be giving money for cars any way :/ As Im on benefits and a student I know that I can't afford a car and so Im selling it (poor things on ebay at the moment :( )

In regards to holidays, shes probably getting the money from elsewhere. Like a lump sum from somewhere. I pretty much recieve the most I can (for my situation) and I wouldnt be able to afford that many holidays at that cost, but due to my student loan it will give me the oppertunity to do it. Just a thought.

Sparkle - I thought the same as Zazu, if she had the illness, when they investigated it they would have seen she wasnt defrauding the system and so give her the benefits. They would have only taken them away once an investigation was done and she was found to be in fit health, surely?

If you are entitled to motorbility (a car paid for by the government) you can nominate a family member/friend to drive on your behalf, you still get a car if entitled x

Yeah the mobility scheme allows for named drivers. Having said that the person who is having fits is obliged to inform the DVA of this. even if you are on epileptic drugs - for any reason you have to tell the DVA. true true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back