Advice on OPK's/ovulation in general?

elviedee

Reaction score
I'm gonna sound like an idiot here but I'm gonna ask anyway..

We're gonna take it easy this month, enjoy each other and christmas, but if it doesn't happen for us by jan I think I'm gonna invest in some OPK's.

However, I've only got my left fallopian tube left after a salpingectomy... if I'm ovulating from my right ovary (which is still there despite the tube having been removed) and so the egg that is released just gets reabsorbed into my body, would that come up as a positive on an OPK?

Does the hormone that it tests for still get realeased in the same amounts? Any advice at all would be appreciated..

x

elviedee said:
I'm gonna sound like an idiot here but I'm gonna ask anyway..

We're gonna take it easy this month, enjoy each other and christmas, but if it doesn't happen for us by jan I think I'm gonna invest in some OPK's.

However, I've only got my left fallopian tube left after a salpingectomy... if I'm ovulating from my right ovary (which is still there despite the tube having been removed) and so the egg that is released just gets reabsorbed into my body, would that come up as a positive on an OPK?

Does the hormone that it tests for still get realeased in the same amounts? Any advice at all would be appreciated..

x

Good question. But I really don't know the answer hun. It will be interesting to see if anyone can answer, I'd like to know. I think there is a similar post that says 'lh surge, no egg release' a bit further down.

xx

If the right ovary is still functioning and doing its share - then yes - ovulation from there would show up as positive I think.

It only measures the surge in FSH - anyone can have that surge then not ovulate, but still get a positive.

thanks girls...

the other thing I'm curious about is that I've been told that it's not unheard of that an egg released from one ovary can travel down the opposite sides fallopian tube? As in actuality the tubes hang very closely together and not attached to ovaries only attracted by reactions in the ovary when an egg is/about to be released.

Sorry if I'm being annoying asking too many questions! I don't really wanna go ahead and buy a load of OPKs when it's not guaranteed that I'm ovulating from the left - although I guess it gives more of a chance to know that I'm definitely ovulating from somewhere!

x

I don't know that one :think:

The thing with opks is that if you're bding pretty regular anyway, then they're really more of a reassurance and to help work out when Af is due if you're not in a regular cycle.

If you're pretty regular in your cycles, then maybe use them for a little while just to get to know it - then I wouldn't bother. I rarely use them now - even though I need to pinpoint ov as I've got to know my own body well enough not to have to

thanks libs,

sounds like a bit of a plan u got there ;) its just a bit of a pain in the arse planning for a little one when we know technically it could take us twice as long as i just don't have the "equipment" anymore :cry:

just want to maximise our chances.

x

Lets say that you ovulate strictly right/left - in a year you'll have at least 6 ovs from the good side. I used to have 3 ovs a year...and got pregnant without trying (really really not trying :wink: ) so don't worry - and I know how easy it is to say that, but as I've also been in here for a loooong time now, i don't say it easily :wink:

I also never say just relax and it'll happen :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back