Ovulation Testing Kits - Lets give advice!!

EllieBelle

Reaction score
I always keep an eye on the TTC forum, as its where my journey began.....recently there seems to be a lot of questions regarding OPK's (Ovulation Prediction Kits), so wanted to post my experience of them, hoping it may help others (Im also hoping other people will post their positive experiences too). Please remember this is just my experience though, and others may have totally different views on what worked for them:

I was lucky and got my BFP 2nd cycle off the pill (I was on the pill for 18 years) - but more importnantly it was also my first month using OPK's, so am a firm believe that they do work.

I purchased the cheapie ebay ones, and bought a pack of 30 so I had plenty (they are only a few pounds for a bumper pack :D ). I used fertilityplan on ebay (and also used them for HPT's).

As it was only my 2nd cycle off the pill my AF was obviously irregular, and I had no idea when I would ovulate. I started using the OPK's on CD 8 (about 4 days after AF finished), and used them religiously twice a day - around 2pm and then before bedtime.

When first testing there was no line at all, by CD 10 there was a light line - on CD 11, I again used them twice - at 2pm the line was the same as the previous days and very faint, however when I tested before bedtime the line was much darker, but still not as dark as the control line regardless of the colour I took this as a positive.

The next morning I woke up with pain in my left ovary and had a bad upset stomach - I then knew I was ovulating (a week earlier than the previous month), I tested again that afternoon and the line was completely gone.......if I hadnt have been testing twice a day I would have missed the line altogether, as got my surge and ovulated within 12 hours of each other!

We BD'ed the day of ovulation......hadnt bothered before as wasnt expecting to ovulate so early! 9dpo I got my BFP :D

So in my opinion (and its only my opinion):

Its best to test twice a day - early afternoon and last thing at night (never test in the morning as this can give you false positives).

The test line can be lighter than the control line, despite what the instructions tell you (I took the darkest line I had ever had as a positive, and trusted my intuition).

Buy a large pack of tests and start testing early in your cycle - especially if your cycles are irregular.

I hope this helps a little, and am hoping some others will post their experiences too!

Hi

Thanks for that advise, deff going to test twice a day, going to leave it a few days longer before i start testing as my cycles have been very regular. Also got to get myself on ebay and get some more as i bought the superdrug ones and got well ripped off!! Going to have to use both boxes on one cycle!

Thanks again

Thank you so so much for posting your experiences hun.

I used OPKs last time I was ttc on my last cycle and they worked, but to be honest I think it was fluke because I wasnt religiously testing with them.

This is good news about the lines getting darker towards ovulation, I started testing on sat and has barely no line, same sunday and then today the line is getting more stronger, but still faint.

Hoping tomorrow it will be stronger still!!!! Definately going to test twice a day too. Have ordered my ebay cheapies as im not continuing to pay boots prices! :talkhand:

I agree with Elliebelle but just to add that although i test twice a day it does depend just how close you are to ovulation as to how dark the line is.... say you tested at 9pm before bed and the line was almost as dark as the control line, well if you tested a couple of hours after that theres good chance the line would be darker or as dark as the control line. It just depends how many times you want to test really. I experimented one month and got a dark line but it wasnt as dark as it should be and then tested 2 hours later and it was darker still and a definate positive. A faint line is picking up the start of the surge but means you can ovulate anytime in the next 12 - 36 hours.

Thanks Elliebelle, these tests are horrible it is so hard to guess whether it's positive or not, more often than not I miss the window because I used to test once a day, now I'm going to do it at least twice in the afternoons.

Luckily yesterday I got a positive result (I think) so here's to catching that egg :D

I'm lucky that I get a build of the hormone over a few days so because my cycles are still messed up since my loss in january I tend to test every other day after af, when I start to get a faint line I then test every day. I can't test at work so I test soon as I get home, but weekends I test between midday and 3pm, this seems to be the optimum time for me to get a positive.

First cycleI used them we weren't TTC, the next cycle we were trying so I used them again and I got my first strong positive (darker than the control line, like Ellie I usually count a dark line as a positive even if it isn't as dark as the control line) and got a bfp, sadly I haven't been as lucky since even though I have had a few strong positives.

Because I use the ebay cheapies I have to pee into a cup and dip the sticks so last cycle I experimented with the strength of the wee (sounds strange but stick with me :lol: ) before I dipped the stick I checked how dark the sample was, if it was quite light then I wouldn't test and just flushed it away, if it was darker next time I went to the loo then I'd test. For the first time this month I got two strong positives, friday night and saturday afternoon, so I'm gonna do the same again this month.

For me OPK's are invaluable as my cycles are still messed up and because DH and me lead such busy lives we simply don't have the energy to bd every other day so they help me know when to seduce him (I rarely tell him I'm ov'ing as I don't want to put pressure on him, although that backfires when I'm ov'ing and he's far too tired to err... perform :lol: )

I would recommend them too. Everyday at 2pm I tested and one day I got a good line (although it wasn't as dark as the control line) which I took as a positive. We bd 3 days before the positive test, and 2 days after it but something must have worked!

Thanks for this, i think you would have to buy cheapies, as the ones I got were nearly £1 a stick and you just cant afford to use them twice a day.

My experiences this month was I only got a faint line on the night I felt right ovary twinges, the other 2 times I tested before and after were blank.

Great idea :)

I used them for the first time last month from cd9 - the line was very faint up until cd 15 when it was faint but a stronger line... then cd16 it was even darker - not far off the control line and then cd17 the test line was darker than the control line. I was also charting my basal body temperature and Fertility Friend confirmed that I ov'd on CD18 :)

Mrs_Metal i always check the strength of my wee before i dip too :rotfl:

Thanks for the advice Hun! :cheer: :cheer:

This month is the first month I have ever got a strong line, and it was defianetely a positive! Any other time of the month and i always get a faint line anyway. I'll let you know if it's helped me get my BFP!

thanks for the advice! anna has just sent me a load of them so im glad i found this thread :)

thanks for this i have just ordered 50 tests and 50 preg tests for 9.99 how cheap!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back