4 too young to start school ?

Both my girls started pre school at 2, I had to pay till they were 3, Once 3 they then go into the nursery class in the main primary school half day 5 days a week.

My eldest missed full time school last year, her 4th bday was 19 days after the cut off date. She hated doing this whole year all over again. She is ready to start full time school now though, She will be 5 sept 20th.

She was fully ready a year ago too, I think its good to get them in school but I do feel that 8:50-3:20 is very long :( I am used to my girls going to school but I will really miss Alex, when I only see her an hour before school then for 3 and half hours after thats it :cry:

I teach year R and it is very unstructured for the majority of the year, most of it is play based learning, so essentially they play for most of the time. Therefore I don't think that 4 is too young as it is really an extension of pre-school (in a good school, there are some that are way too formal, way too soon!)

It also isn't compulsory for children to attend until they are 5, although I wouldn't recommend not sending them as they would miss out on making friends.

I've never really thought about it :think:

I don't see how it does any harm for them to start at that age... I think it gives them more time to get used to the school routine, make friends and gain confidence :)

I think these days children are alot more forward and act older for their age so they can deal with school alot better but also at that age it's not really school I think its more getting to know other children and themselves. I think in 1 way its fine but another I dont :think:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back