PROBLEM AT SCHOOL

hannahbet20

Reaction score
my eldest jake started school in sept hes 4 and everything was fine untill a couple of days ago i dropped him off in the classroom and went to leave i was just outside the school gates and i heard crying jake was right behind me running up so i took him back and the teacher hadnt even realised he had run out of the door one of the other women commented on the fact they obviously werent watching them properly luckily i was walking slowly with kye what if i'd got into a car and driven off and not been there for him he could have run in the road or anything im really not impressed any advice? im a bit shy and there are a lot of parents at the school its hard to get a moments time with the teacher do you think i should change his school?

mistakes happen its not always easy to watch that many children at a time I know I have spent many years as a nursery nurse, as well as trying to talk to parents etc, the door should of been shut with a handle too high up to catch, it is something that could happen at any school so I dont think its really something to change schools about :s

yeah sure i did think this but its just playing on my mind you know how long would it have been before she had realised he had gone im a big worrier and you know its tough i have to admit apart from this the school has been great hes learning so much and usually there are no problems its just my wort nightmare to find any of my kids gone missing

I think its a bit extreme to think about changing schools before you've spoken to anyone there.

I'd phone, ask to come in and see them and set a time. Then just discuss what happened and see what they say. Once you've heard from them and they you hopefully they can sort out a way to ensure it doesn't happen again.

If you don't let them know your concerns then they won't be able to address any issues that not only affect you but all others.

I'd be fair and give them a chance to sort it out. From what you say you are happy otherwise.

You could also try talking to your son and explain to him that he really needs to stay in the classroom when you drop him off and that running after you is not a good idea. That if he is worried or needs to talk he can tell you before you leave or go to his teacher once you have gone. Reassure him about it all. Of course, word it in a way that works for you, but you get the gist :)

:hug:

I teach year R and although this shouldn't have happened, it is very easy for it to happen when there are 30 chn coming into the classroom and the door has to be open, it is impossible to be able to see all the children at once. I know i am being defensive cos i am a teacher, but i wouldn't blame her too much, she would have realised within seconds and other parents would have seen him and brought him back if you weren't there. (i had a child do something similar once, although he ran before he got to me and about 10 parents followed him and brought him back)

If you are really concerned wait after school and explain your concerns to the teacher, I am sure that she will reassure you. I would also talk to your son, to make sure that he doesn't try to do this again.

yeah thanks a lot for the replys really usefull i wouldnt of had a go at the teacher because i really do think otherwise they are doing a great job i have spoken to jake and he seems to understand that he shouldnt have ran out of the class and to speak to a teacher if hes upset youve eased my mind i think i might mention it very carefully to his teacher just so she knows how i feel but im sure it was a one off. :D

maybe the teacher didn't see him there, I always used to take paris to the teacher so they saw she was there as she did it to me a couple of times too :hug:

well you see all the children had allready gone into the class including she had said hello to jake as i hugged him on the way in he was fine and all the parents were leaving but a few who were late were going in i had walked out of the playground and school gate where the road is when he came up behind me so i took him back and she didnt even realise hed gone.

The same thing happened with my DD when she was in year 2. The only diffenece is that despite being really slow, I had already left. She got past loads of parents, but one mum eventually stopped her! Her teacher called to let me know what happened.

I know how awful it felt and how many worries I had. I didn't say anything else to the school because we had already spoken on the phone. I just went to town on DD! I wasn't cross and didn't tell her off. I just went over and over about how dangerous it was. What could have happened etc. What she should do next time she's in a similar sitation etc.

I know she was older than your DS, but you'll feel better if you do all you can to explain to him and prevent it happening again. I don't think there is any need to consider changing schools at this point.

:hug:

I would definatley speak to the teacher.

Just ask for a quick word where the kids cant hear when you get there, and I'm sure that she will make a moment for you.
That way, she is very aware of your concerns and will pay that extra bit of attention for a few weeks.

She wont think badly of you, even ifyou do get angry/upset as its only natural you are concerned :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back