2hrs in car seat?

We plan on going to longleat for the weekend in august for my dads 50th and the baby could potentialy only be 5 days old if i go over, i was just planning on having a stop at the services half way for a stretch or more often if LO decides it's hungry!

i am aware that a baby should not spend more than 2 hours in a car seat, or any other seat that is not completely flat.

as my Dad lives about 3 hrs away I have been thinking about this. How do you travel a long distance with a baby? I know you have to stop and take baby out, but for how long? half an hour? an hour?

or can baby only be no more than 2 hours in the seat in any one day???

I dont understand the rules for this. I have thought about the train, but there is no way would I manage baby, bags, pram and travel cot etc etc all on my own (I am likely to be leaving during the day when hubby is working)

wont be doing this until baby is at least 5mnths old if that makes a difference?

i THINK THATS FAIR

My family are 8 hours away so Kynon is in his seat that long! We've been about 4 or 5 times since he was born, it always a nightmare and I've got it to look forward to this Friday. Not much you can do, the odd trip won't matter I think these guidelines are to stop us leaving babies in car seats every day for hours at a time which people would do if not told. We stop for half hour or so every 2 hours so the journey ends up being nearer 10 hours :( planning to drive over night this time so hopefully he will sleep.

My pram isn't a carry cot. Its a car seat attachment, which does worry me slightly.
But I can't see any reason for her to be in for longer than 2hrs anyway, as I live in the city centre and close to all my family, and when I'm out shopping, I always stop for regular tea stops anyway, so will be lifting her when I'm sat down.

Also, I plan to wear my baby quite often too :) x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I think its a rule that needs to go hand in hand with a bit of common sense. It sounds like a journey that you will rarely be doing and therefore an exception to the rule will be ok one time, I'm sure.
In reality, what is likely to happen is that your timings will be entirely dictated by the baby. You won't be ready to leave until he/she has just been fed, changed & settled. Getting to this point can be a challenge some days, believe me, especially when leaving on time depends upon it! If baby is sleeping soundly all the way, you'll be crazy to stop & wake him/her up to change their position, especially when your journey time is only 3 hours anyway. However, if baby wakes up & demands some attention/feeding/changing, then you will take the opportunity as and when it comes. Don't stress about it, just accept you might have to go with the flow.....the journey may be a straight 3 hours or take the best part of the day after leaving extremely late! Go well prepared with changes of clothes and all the essentials to hand and it will be fine.
It is a rule that seems to have been introduced since my DD was that young. However, I am glad it has been. All too frequently you see mums taking newborns straight from the car to the pushchair using an attachment that means they don't actually change from that curved position for hours. I never felt comfortable using that attachment for my DD and happily moved her between car seat to lying flat in a pram when we were out and about. She always looked so much more comfortable and content, especially in the very early days when they don't even actually fill the carseat at all!

If you don't have a pram, a pushchair that has a lie flat option is better than being scrunched up in a seat.

There's a lady around here that I see fairly often, with a tiny baby sat up in a stroller. The poor dude looks so uncomfortable, it makes me want to have words with her!

We are planing to leave the baby in the car seat when we are going at the supermarket etc... I don't see why I should bother it by putting it in the pram for sth like that. Just clip the seat in the pram and go...
Maybe if we go to the park or for longer Saturday trips to the town or shopping but for anything else it's the car seat, a sling or a carrier.
Btw tried lifting the pram in and out of the car....
Not impressed at all.... I am avoiding that when we are out and about for only a short period of time lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back