• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

1st Scan tomorrow! Few questions..

kay126

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I have my first scan tomorrow at 10am- booked this one privately because I am currently living with my OH away from home and wanted to know how far gone I am before going back home to start all the NHS stuff back home where I would prefer to give birth to be nearer my Mammy... anyway thats beside the point...

Im just wondering what will they actually do at this first scan- is it just measuring ur baby, having a look at the monitor etc- do they rush you? how long are u usually in there for? if im having a private scan do you think Ill get more time?

Also if I say find out tomorrow that im 11/12 weeks like i think i am when i go back home to my own doctors if they know ive had a private scan will they let me have one on the nhs too- or could i just lie not tell them ive had one and i dont know how far gone i am lol??

Im a bit clueless with all this being my first babba, any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Sorry - can't offer any advice as I'm a few weeks behind you but just wanted to say goodluck for tomorrow!

SPC xx

Aww no worries :) thanks for the good luck though :-D xxx

Oh how exciting!! The first scan is for dating really so they will measure baby and check for a heartbeat, they will also look at the back of the neck (nuchal fold) and make sure things are generally on the right track. They'll probably have a wee look to see where your placenta is too. My first scan only took about 10-15 minutes but being private they might allocate more time to talk you through what they see.

I'd imagine you will still get your NHS one, it might just be at 14-15 weeks by the time they organise it. It's up to you if you tell your GP how far gone you are. You could always give them a rough idea of what you think which could then be confirmed by the NHS scan, you're not obliged to tell them if you have paid for a private scan.
Good luck, and remember we love pics!!!

yay as long as i get a couple of minutes to look i wont mind, i hope they do talk us through what we re actually seeing though its nice to know whats what at the end of the day lol!

ill get my oh to upload the pics hes much better at these things lol i hope im quite far gone so babba actually looks like a baby in the pic will seem wayyy real then :) xxx

The 1st scan usually takes about 15 mins,they check how many babies r in there,position of placenta,they usually check ovaries 4 cysts etc aswel. They should explain everything that's on the screen and then they usually find a clear view for picture x good luck x c

just want to wish you good luck for tomorrow...hope we get to see the lovely piccies xx

aww first scan is sooo exciting! My experience was that they told you everything as they went on and showed us on the screen where everything was and it was really nice, dont thinnk we where in there longer then 15 min but it felt longer cuz you are sort of mezmerised by the little thing moving about!

Enjoy your scan tomorow... hope all is healthy and well X

I had a few early scans cause of some pain I was having, one at 5 weeks and one at 6 weeks 2 days and they had to be internal scans cuase the baby was too wee at that point, how far on do you think you are xx

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I am hoping you lovely ladies can clear something up for me.

Are you supposed to go to the first scan with a full bladder? The midwife didn't mention it to me when she booked it, but reading online it says you should?

Hope your scan went well today x re:full bladder question, it depends how many weeks you'll be when you have the scan but I'd still go with a full bladder as you can empty it fairly quickly but it takes a little while to fill it up if you need to x

wowwee well scan went fabulously- im not as far gone as i thought ( i worked the whole thing out completely wrong silly me) and im actually apparently 9 weeks 4 days :) the scan was fab, so glad i paid for it, we had an amazing woman got to view the baby itself on a 42" tele it was amazing being able to see everything in so much detail, the lady said baby had a perfect heartbeat we could see it going and it was beautiful and then it started wriggling its little legs awwwwwwww! Even though im obviously not past the 12 week stage because the woman was so confident saying everything was perfect and she was very impressed by the heartbeat me and OH did go and buy a little something to celebrate, we wont get anything else now til we have the NHS scan which will be probs when babys nearer 14 weeks i suppose by the time i go home to book it :) This is what we bought today if anyones interested: http://www.disneystore.co.uk/neutral-range-dumbo-organic-cotton-body-suit/p/23883/300031/ and http://www.disneystore.co.uk/neutra...eg-romper-can-be-personalised/p/24428/300031/ gonna try and put some piccies up in a bit once hubby gets off the xbox he can help :-D

and i drank two pints of squash before i went and the sonographer thanked me for having such a nice full bladder :) so guess it was the right thing to do :)

yay glad you had a good first scan hun and everything is going swell! maybe because your 9 weeks you can still get a scan at 12 weeks with the nhs!!! i'd give it a try :) good luck in your pregnancy xx

hopefully i might just go to docs and not mention the private scan sneaky sneaky id love to see babba a bit more developed its crazy how much they change in so little time :) thanks for the best wishes :)

O glad everythingvwas wonderful with baby x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back