14 feeds in 6 hours! wtf!

Kay Kay

Reaction score
Help! Since 3.30pm today my 15 day old has taken 14 feeds lasting on average 7 mins and feels like a full feed every time (trembling lip towards the end). Hardly a break in between. Plenty of wet and dirty nappies. Don't mind at the mo but do not have the energy to do this all thru the night. Is it normal? Will he tire himself out? Thanks any advice appreciated xxxxx

Hun I'm afraid I'm going to say all normal! I've never counted how often b feeds but we rarely go more than a few hours in the Day. Could be growth spurt or thirsty in hot weather. Xxx

Hi KayKay, I feel your pain! I'm not sure 7 mins is long enough for a proper feed tho, I think minimum should be 15-20 mins so maybe try and keep bubs on for longer rather than them keeping on returning every 5 mins!?
Each of my feeds lasts about an hour and sometimes half hour later he wants more! Agghhhh! I'm getting by with the info that this is the worst bit and it will get easier. I have to admit I am already seeing slow improvement from a week ago so the only way is up right! Xxxxxx

Last edited:
Hi Kay Kay,
LO is still little so this could be cluster feeding to up your supply. It doesn't last forever so hang on in there, get plenty of nipple cream on before and after feeds.
If LO is having plenty wet and dirty nappies this is a good sign but you could always get your latch checked just to give you peace of mind.

My LO literally used to feed from 6pm through to 1am in the early days and it was horrible but it did only last a week at the most.
xx

Totally normal. Lyla used to cluster feed like mad and then have a really good nights sleep! Like she was filling up for the night.

Sounds like bubs is trying to increase your supply xx

B has always been a quick feeder so don't worry too much about how long the feeds are x

I think at that age anything is normal lol! I agree she is probably tryng to build up you milk supply. My LO went in for long feeds rather than cluster feeding, several times she went 3 or 4 hrs straight. She would nod off a lot while still tatched on though then start up again so amounted to the same thing as cluster feeding. I always noticed I had more milk the next day though so it works!

There is a growth spurt at 14-16 days and the baby will cluster feed as he is doing. All normal stick with it as this is the time some mums give up. If you understand what is happening you can cope with it better. That is my opinion anyway.

Hun pm me if you want any help/or want to know anything - it's so much easier now! Stick with it x

I think its a good thing your lo is at it so much! as it will increase your milk supply. My first daughter done this, and even though i was exhausted, i had tons of milk. this time round, lo only fed every few hours and it took ages for my milk supply to proper kick in. even now i dont feel as full as i did with my first. x

Can only echo what the others have said. I remember when alex was 10 days old he spent almost 3 days just constantly feeding I remember thinking god I can't do this but it did eventually calm down. They go through growth spurts (didn't have a clue about these in the beginning) if you Google them you can get a rough idea of when they are due I think it's something like 10 days, 3 weeks, 6 weeks etc ... you know when they strike as they eat non stop day and night but when they are over you do notice small changes in your baby, clorhes a bit smaller, start smiling, grabbing things etc .. so when your up at 3 .. 4 .. 5am just think when it's over your baby will have learnt a new skill.

Just ride it through hun, as annoying as I found this when everyone said it to me it really does get easier I promise. As soon as alex hit 8 weeks he was like a different baby, sleeping more, eating less ... and now at 20 weeks its a breeze.

Message me if you need any advice or just wanna blow off steam xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back