my birth experience. WARNING MAY UPSET PEOPLE!!

emmaandamyleigh

Reaction score
WARNING THIS MAY UPSET OTHER PEOPLE!!!!

i started haveing contration new years day night which was actually my due date contration wernt regular till sunday my oh was working and he pains were getting worse his sister came over with paracetmol for me a took two but they didnt work and i was going to wait till OH finished work (we live where he works) at about 1 pm i couldnt cope with the pain any longer so i phoned the labour ward and they told me to go in so i got my oh sister to go get him to tell him i had to go in his work told him to go with me so he did so 45 mins in a taxi we arrived at the labour ward i buzzed in they answered told me to wait to see what room i was going in the mw came back and sed come on then wev got your room sorted so we made are way to the room i got on the bed and she asked questions, then she sed can you take your bottom half off so i did sat on the bed then the monitor baby hr and mine and the contraction, i was on this for about 45 mins to an hour,she sed we might have to send you home coz there not regular bearing in mind that she never checked if my cervix were dilated yet, so i asked for some pain relief and she sed oh ill just go and get you some she come back and didnt have any i was really in pain and the oh didnt know what to do, then she left again and come back she checked my cervix had dilated and of course and to a shock to me i was already 6 cm dilated!! then she left and i was getting the urge to push by this time i was on gas and air when i had the urge to push my waters broke oh didnt know what todo so he pressed the buzzer, and we both sed my waters had broke she made a sarky comment like ooo trust your waters to break when i go out of the room she was hardly ever there thru out my labour while i was there all of a sudden i had this urge to push and she sed no its not time yet she hadnt checked that i was dilated fully i could feel the preasure of my babys head wanting to come out but shes like no its not time topush yet so i sed i can feel something wanting to come out she still never cheicked so i just though sod it im going to push so i did and she walked past and sed ooo i can see a head you can push now i sed ive been telling you for the last ten mins and she sed you had to be patience coz she knows what she was looking for so my babys head was half way out they told me to stop pushing and for 5 mins i was sitting with half a head out and she sed ooo by the way you can push again so i did and my baby popped out she wasnt breathing when she came out and then she give a little cry and stopped breathing again so they rushed her over to the incubater thingy they have in the rooms and give her oxygen and she was doing well intill they tryied to move her up to scbu they turn the little table thing she was on off and the oxygen was suppose to stay on and that fail so they plugged it back in and went to get another one they plug that in when they transfered her across to tht one she stopped breathing again so they were giving her oxygen and tried to put tubes down her nose but they couldnt get it down so they sed sorry for this but were whisking her straight to scbu they put her on a ventilator by this time she was breathing and stable and they couldnt understand what was wrong with her i received poor care from the midwifes there they left me to long they booked me on to award for the night and they told me my baby had to be transferred to another hospital because they found that the back of her nose never develop properly and that she needed an op to open it up and they were transferring her to another hospital the next day :sad:.

so the morning they sed a team from leeds were coming to pick her up and that i had to make my own way there i was discharged that day from the hospital panicing about gettingto this other hospital which by train is 45 mins aay and cost 50 quid for me and my other half to get there to see her shes been there since monday she had the op on thrusday and is doing great the care up at the hospital she is at now are really great unfortunatly for me i cant be there all the time coz i cant afford to travel at the mo :sad: but i phone every 3 hours to see how she is doing it is hard having to leave her all the way up there and me being miles away from her but i know shes in the best place and is receiving everything she needs care wise me and oh are going to see her monday, im so proud at how far she has come since the op

i phoned today and shes got a bit of high temp and they started her straight away on antibiotics and giving her a lil more morphine coz she was unsettled last night and they thought she might be in pain they had to stop her feeds too coz she was sick with it with have morphine the day b4 shell be a week old tomorro weve been thru alot i cant wait till i get her home

she has tubes in her nose to keep the holes open at the back and she is breathing ok on her own they took her off the vent the night she had her operation so the birth and the first week of her life has been bad. i do worry something is going to happen but i thinking postive if i dont receive a phone call off the hospital that its good news so for now i have to take it each day as it comes and phone and make sure hows she is doing. and she is my first baby too :smile: :sad: she is lovely and gawjus and i love her to bits xxxx

THERES A PIC OF MY LITTLE GIRL

she was born the 3rd of jan 2010 at 16.58 pm and weighed 5lb 20z

Attachments

• SPM_A0012.jpg
    SPM_A0012.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 72
Thats some story :) So glad your lo is doing well now and Welcome to Pregnancy Forum :)

aww wow :D i would however complain at the hospital of the midwife on the way she treated you im so happy thats able to breathe on her own :dance:
keep positive huni uve been so brave although i wouldnt take any crap on the way that women treated you. wahoo am happy for you congrats :yay:

So sorry to hear about how you have been treated. Thats terrible expecting to travel up to Leeds by your own means, but I must say she is gorgeous. I wish you and yor family all the best.
I'll be thinking of you all.
Thats great news to hear she is breathing on her own:), do you know when you can take her home?

thank you all no we dont know when we can take her home yet she still have the tubes in i think there going to keep her up there instead of transferring her back to the hospital she was born in coz then she wouldhave to go back to leeds to get the tubes out they sed shell probs be in for a week or so but shes doing well off the vent just a few minor hiccups since ie high temp but they sed thats to be expected after an op but as soon as the took her temp they started her straight away on antibiotics shes a little fighter thou

Nicu is a daunting place but your baby will get taken really good care of :)

yeah there really good where she is there doing a good job i stopped on the maternity ward for a few nights up there and the care ireceived was really nice and they kept asking after me and how amy was doing xx

Will you be able to visit loads?

www.bliss.org.uk/core/core_picker/download.asp?id=225 this link will download a leaftet about different charities and benefits for families of children in hospital. I hope it helps you out, might be able to get you some accomodation up there a couple of nights or fund your train travel? So glad she's doing better and hopefully she'll be out of hospital soon enough and you wont have to worry about all this!

Ronald McDonald House
The Ronald McDonald House Charities help families stay near their sick
children while they are in hospital. There are Ronald McDonald Houses

and Family Rooms in 40 hospitals across the UK. The House or Family
Room is either near the hospital or next to the ward. Families can get
some crucial rest, a sense of normality and support from other families.
Who can claim:
The charity tries to help any family they can. Families who have to travel
furthest to be with their sick child get priority.
Where you can find out more:
Phone Ronald McDonald House on 0844 840 0844 or at

www.rmhc.org.uk

Leeds

The Ronald McDonald Family Rooms in Leeds recently opened in January 2006 and has two ensuite bedrooms. The Family Rooms serve the families of children receiving in-patient treatment at Leeds General Infirmary.

this is definately worth a look! good luck xxx

Last edited:
Sorry you've had such a rough start but glad she seems to be doing well.

Which hospital was she born at hun? You must be quite near to me to be transferred to Leeds :)

Last edited:
congrats on your little girl, sorry to hear there's been problems tho, glad she's on the mend tho! :hug:

congratualtions on the arrival of your little girl! She's gorgeous! hope she comes home soon xxx

sorry to hear u were treated so bad at the hospital, your daughter is beautiful, i hope she can come home to u soon xxxxxx

Congratulations on the birth of your little girl. I'm sorry you were trated so badly :hug: Its good news that your little girl is breathing on her own now, i hope you can take her home really soon xx

i live in skipton north yorkshire only 45 mins to the hospital by train lol yeah everything is going good atm im going up on monday to see her and i can hold her to now that shes off the vent yay and get more pics of her, thank you for all the comments and infomation there this really has helped alot :)

Congratulations on your beautiful little girl! Dont be frightened to complain to the hospital - I recommend writing to the Chief Exec of the Hospital and cc it to the Head of Midwifery with a copy to your local MP. Some Midwives are not fit to look after animals - I have experienced their uncaring ways.

congratulations on the birth of your little girl hun, so sorry for the way that u were treated. hope shes home soon :hug:

aah, she's beautiful!! I really hope you can have her back home soon, I can't imagine how worried / upset you've been, well done for staying strong. She's in a great place too, so I bet you'll have her home in no time. Congratulations :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back