:(

Flossy82

Reaction score
Oh guys what a dilema we are in now me and the o/h went to the council today for an app with the homeless officer as the inlaws really want us out of there house now with a written letter to them stating that this was the case and we had til the end of the month the lady told us basically that we are making ourselves intentionally homeless and if it had been the case where we had been renting and we had been thrown out due to the landlord selling up etc then we would be entitled to there help with finding somewhere but as she said me and the o/h have the means to private rent and thats what we should do. The only reason we moved in with the inlwas in the first place was because we couldnt afford to rent as prices in our area are sky high and also they dont always except children. So now we are stuck and this has really upset me too im sure im struck with bad luck :cry:

How can you itentionally be making yourself homeless if the inlaws have said they want you out?!?? :(

surely if your in laws are kicking you out thats not intentional!!! i would go back and argue while you may have money its not sufficient to do a private rental etc

hi hun thats awful and so unfair
i hope u get it sorted out soon

Sounds like you've been fobbed off! I'd go back and speak to someone else!

Good luck hun
Emilia xx

I cant remember exactly how it works but that does sound very very wrong. i went through a similar situation when i was around 20 weeks pregnant with my son made a homeless application and refused to leave the council offices until they housed me (unfourtunatly it doesnt work like that now :lol: ) but i walked out of there with keys to a 1 bedroom flat it was only a temporary tenancy but a temp tenancy can last up to 2 years.

Shelterline are absolutly excellent for advice on situations like this, it might be worth you giving them a call. I have just tried to get onto their website but it seems to be down at the moment.

www.shelter.org.uk
Tel:0808 8004444 (freephone, 8am-12pm); 020 7014 1580 (9am-5pm)
Email: [email protected]
DESCRIPTION
Emergency housing help over the phone. It deals with homelessness, harrassment, eviction and other housing problems. Shelterline can offer instant assistance in finding safe emergency accommodation for women fleeing violence. The freephone advice is backed up by a comprehensive casework service for those with complex problems. Call Shelterline for more information or visit website.

good luck chick xx

Flossy82 said:
and if it had been the case where we had been renting and we had been thrown out due to the landlord selling up etc then we would be entitled to there help with finding somewhere

But that's what's happening to us, and the council have told us that they can't house us! :shock: :? Do they change their story with every person??? Our situation is, we have been privately renting in the same house for 2 years. Our contract was due for renewal in May, but in April, we received a letter giving us 60 days notice as they are selling the house. I called the council and was told we didn't have enough points, but we shouldn't move anywhere and then tell them about a week before that we had nowhere to go and they would have to evict us. Then we could be given more points, enough to house us. Well, the contract was up last Wednesday (7th June), and the letting agents called me as asked if were still there. I told them we were as we had told them already we had nowhere to go. She then said they were starting eviction proceedings and it would be up to us to pay for it, it could take 6 months, and cost us over £2000!!!! :shock: I told her no way could we afford that, and we were told by the council it would be quicker. So, I called the council, and she said that it shuold cost them about £140 to get the eviction order. BUT, she then said that no judge in the land would ever say yes to it, as I am pregnant, and they are selling the house so it is looked on as monitory gain!! She said the judge wouldn't make a pregnant lady homeless ever!! :shock: But even if they did, they could only offer us temporary accomodation, this could be for 8 months, and we would only get one offer of a house, and that could be anywhere!!!!!!!! :shock: And we can't take our dog into any of the temp houses!! :cry: I spent all night Wednesday crying. I'm really feeling the urge to nest, and the house at the minute is covered in boxes, I can't clean it properly, and I want to decorate the nursery!! :(

Sorry I've hijacked your thread Flossy, but I just wanted you to see that they don't always tell you the whole truth. I think it depends who you speak to at the office.

I'm now in the 'they can do what they want to us and I don't care as long as we are together' mood. We are a strong family, as you are, and we will both survive. It may be a tough year or so, but we'll come through it hun, I'm sure. In a years time, we'll be on this forum telling someone else who is going through the same thing that everything will be okay in the end. Keep smiling, and you'll be okay. xxx

tankett have you still not found anywhere yet? :( it may be an idea for you to try speaking to shelterline too hun. i STILL after 3 years havent got anywhere and shelterline are now dealing with it all for me though it doesnt look very hopeful i will be out of here before the baby arrives though :( but they are very good

Thanks Bubble, I'll give them a go.

Flossy - how are you feeling today hun???

Fingers crossed that we can all be housed soon.xxxx

Gosh that's AWFUL for you both. I hope you get something sorted.

tankett you have nobody who would look after your doggy? :(

Flossy - are you okay hun? I know that was just one line reply from you, but you sounded so down. Try and keep smiling. I know it's not easy, but you will be okay in the long run, even if it takes a while. I blame Thatcher. :twisted: If she hadn't come up with the right-to-buy scheme in the 80's, there would be plenty of council houses for us to move into.

Wobbles, we're a bit stuck with the dog (Carling). My parents spend half the year in Spain, in-laws are live-in wardens of an old persons sheltered accomodation scheme, DH's sister had Carling while we were in Ibiza and couldn't cope with him :? , and my brother has just sold his dog as his girlfriend has a bad back and she can't cope with a big dog. Do the councils not understand that dogs are family members? Carling is DH's dog. He was tied up and abandoned outside a pub about 3 years ago, and DH took him in. He is his baby, and since we moved in together, he's become part of the family. I'm sure we'll be able to sort something out when the time comes, but it doesn't help with the worry. :(

Its just the fact of the whole situation really upset me and im going round in circle trying to thin what to do? :(

I don't know what to say to you Flossy. :( You've said that the in-laws have written to the council? What reason did they give for wanting you out? You have to play on any little reason that you can and exagerate everything. For instance, my dad suffers from high BP (which is kept in check with medication) so if we were in this situation, I would get my dad to play on it, and saying that it is affecting his health.

Or, if you have a sympathetic doctor, can't you get him/her to write you a letter saying it is causing emotional stress on you with being a new mother and having to live with the in-laws?

You have to learn to play the game unfortunatley.

Thanks tankett. Im sure in the end i will find a solution. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back