£1.99 Chicken from Tesco

lou said:
kirlykird said:
lou said:
kirlykird said:
I think she meant thread :D

Well if she did mean the whole thread then to come on and roll eyes after people have taken time to post long replies and share their opinions is out of order.

Have you taken my stress pill today? :wink:

Just kidding,the problem here is everyone has their own opinion. Although I apologised for my thread for any offence it caused I still stand by my opinion that people can't be accused of not being arsed as a general type cast. I was berated publically by yourself & J-Do but I am just saying it was an opinion of mine as was Tillytots. & chezabell. I am sure that she didn't mean any offence it was taken wrongly as was the statement that J-do made by myself.

I think you are over reacting slightly with the replies to Chezabell & Tillytots threads.

Sorry, I'm not trying to cause offence here or cause problems but sometimes your opinion isn't that of others & that doesn't make either of you wrong.

Just calm down ladies, there isn't enough mud around to slling today :wink:

Now remember ladies, smiles & sunshine :D

:rotfl: @ stress pill. If only you knew how true that was :rotfl: (yes I am officially a stresshead)

....and yeah I know what your saying, we all spit our dummies sometimes hey, thats life. I did kick off about what tillytots said but I re-read the post she made and edited my post because I did over react. And I only said you were over reacting because you seemed to come on guns blazing, but then I'm the queen of guns blazing so who am I to talk :roll: :rotfl:

Women eh?!?! And I'm not even preggo :roll:

:D

I actually think us non pregnant women are the worst, exhaustion from chasing crawling/walking babies & toddlers.....

I did probably go guns blazing but that wasn't the intention, I think sometimes it's hard tpo express in type talk... you can't really express what you are trying to say..well I can't anyway :rotfl:

Don't apologise Lou, I think you and J-Do were completely in the right. I think like Kirlkird said a few posts ago it should be forgotten about. Everyone entitled to their own opinion.

As for Chezzabell.. I don't understand why you would come into a thread and do a post of :roll: - if you aren't bothered about posting your actual thoughts on this subject then may a suggest you don't post pointless posts like :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: - :D

Anyway no probs about posting that guardian thing, I found it interesting reading. Like I said at the beginning where my meat comes from has never bothered me until I got pregnant.

Tillytots I think the fact you get the meat from the butchers is a good idea.. I should go more often but never get around to it :? It's hell of a lot cheaper there.

Hmmm do butchers sell chicken? If so is it free range? :think:

I have never cooked a chicken :oops: :oops:
I eat a lot of chicken but always buy breast as Im so squemish but only with chickens.

The only chickens I cook are the chickens that are in the roast bag and go in the over for an hour and a half, I dont think that really counts because I dont need to prepare it. Even at that, I can only strip it once cooked a wee bit. Dh has to get right down to the bones.

Even one of those chickens had a bit of claw left one day and because it is in the bag I didnt notice till it was cooked, I ran out the kitchen, refused to eat it and it was ages before I could use a bag chicken again.

I dont think I would buy a 1.99 chicken, cheap chicken is something I would be suspicious about??

Whoever had the recipies, could you post them or pm me :D

Cool girls 8)

I used to cook chicken right up to when I was pregnant but then I stopped because I didn't like the idea of handling raw meat while being pg. I didn't buy free range, just run of the mill chicken, was probably about 3-4 quid? :think: However if I did eat meat again I would buy my chicken from a place that sold meat from small holdings. We have talked about buying and eating meat again this way but we havent decided yet.

:)

Lou.. can I ask.. why did you become a vegetarian?

Hope you don't mind me asking.. i'm nosey :oops:

I missed what was said.....Just as well by the sounds of it :lol:

I didnt mean to upset anyone, nor have my comments got anything to do with being Veggie. There is nothing wrong with being veggie!! - I think Lou must've got what I meant though...in the end :wink: If you couldnt afford organic veg Lou you wouldnt say to your LO well we cant have organic so you may as well eat meat -you'd buy cheaper veg.

I was saying not everyone can afford free range meat and that I thought it would be odd to tell a child that a battered sausage is healthier than a battery chicken. Maybe the sausage is treated kinder but you'd end up a fatty eating them :lol:

Ahhh the great £1.99 chicken debate :rotfl: I love this place :lol:

Sweetcheeks24 said:
Lou.. can I ask.. why did you become a vegetarian?

Hope you don't mind me asking.. i'm nosey :oops:

Course I don't mind. I was vegetarian for years before I met my OH so had already been 'into' it. However I stopped eating most meat when I was pregnant because I couldn't digest it, although towards the end of my pregnancy I ate alot of green thai chicken curry which was yummy. When I had Isaac and he hit 6 months and we had to start weaning me and OH spoke about being Vegetarian and OH admitted it was something he had been quietly thinking about for a while (proably because he had seen me struggle to digest meat when I was pregnant and he got him thinking about eating it) and anyway I was concerned about Isaac eating animals tbh. He had all these lovely animal soft toys and we bought a big picture of a cow to go on his wall and I just thought 'how can I feed him beautiful animals and then one day explain to him that somebody murders them so we can eat them'? It just didn't seem right. My OH is slightly diferent though, he loves animals but he also thinks meat could be bad for Isaac health wise and the nutrition he would get from meat can be provided with protein and fat from beans, lentils and other foods. Also tbh we aren't a Macdonalds, chicken nuggets for tea family, we eat lots of fruit and veg and pasta etc so even if we ate meat our diet wouldn't really change that much.

I'm not very good at explaining myself sorry :oops:

Tillytots said:
I was chatting to my Mum about eating a healthy diet on a budget. She was telling me about the cheaper cuts of meat that people often ignore like Brisket of Beef. Well I went and bought some brisket yesterday and had the nicest dinner EVER. I braised it with every type of veg you could think of, slow cooked for 3 hours. I could've fed 4 people easily on a piece of meat for £2.50 - True Story 8)

This is what I said elsewhere in the thread. Those cheaper cuts, though they often need cooking for longer in stews etc, are really good and go a long way. I made 8 individual meals from £4 worth of beef the other week. That's 4 meals for hubby and I.

Made a big stew, with chick peas, carrots, onion, mushrooms, swede and so on. Cooked it in the slow cooker so no big oven using electric and then froze it all to use later. When I reheat it I'll make some dumplings to go with it and it only then takes 20 minutes to warm though and serve. No spuds with it, just the stew, dumplings and peas :)

With the other half I made chunky chilli beef. Tasted yummy and enough to freeze again also. Serve with jacket spud or rice and I'm away.

Its a case of bulking it out with veggies a bit to get it to go further also. I tend to do this. Because its slow cooked, the flavour of the meat is there and you also of course have some in there, just not in every mouthful, but thats no biggie. We don't need to eat as much meat as we seem to.

People should try mutton also. It tastes good, is cheaper and you get plenty from it. Works out cheaper than lamb for sure.

I'm all for the less commonly used cuts. Just they seem to have lost favour over the more expensive quicker cooking cuts. Or are perceived as not being as tasty. Or people now simply don't have a clue what to do with them or how to cook them.

I also cook at least 3 non meat main meals a week. That also saves on the pocket and makes a nice change. Plus it gives my stomach time to slowly digest any meat sat there clogging it up :roll: :lol:

Who'd have thought a chicken could cause so much debate? :D It's great though, good to air opinions and get stuff off our chest.

As for cheap food, I do like chicken but am not a big meat eater so when I'm not eating £1.99 chickens from Tesco I eat lots of veggies, wholemeal rice and pasta, beans, pulses, soups etc which are nutritious and don't cost the earth (although OH is yet to be persuaded and still has an aversion to most green stuff!).

Just rediscovered the joys of soya mince too - I used to have it all the time at uni. A bag of dried soya mince is about 50p in Sainsburys and it does around 5 meals (ie spag bol, chilli etc) I prefer to it to the meaty taste of mince and it has just as much protein. Although my sis in law told me that she ate loads of it whilst pregnant to be healthy and my nephew came out 11lb so beware :D

Sweetcheeks24 said:
No that made sense.. thanks for answering :hug:

:hug: Cool. So....what do you think about vegetarians? :think:

Sherlock said:
Tillytots said:
I was chatting to my Mum about eating a healthy diet on a budget. She was telling me about the cheaper cuts of meat that people often ignore like Brisket of Beef. Well I went and bought some brisket yesterday and had the nicest dinner EVER. I braised it with every type of veg you could think of, slow cooked for 3 hours. I could've fed 4 people easily on a piece of meat for £2.50 - True Story 8)

This is what I said elsewhere in the thread. Those cheaper cuts, though they often need cooking for longer in stews etc, are really good and go a long way. I made 8 individual meals from £4 worth of beef the other week. That's 4 meals for hubby and I.

Made a big stew, with chick peas, carrots, onion, mushrooms, swede and so on. Cooked it in the slow cooker so no big oven using electric and then froze it all to use later. When I reheat it I'll make some dumplings to go with it and it only then takes 20 minutes to warm though and serve. No spuds with it, just the stew, dumplings and peas :)

With the other half I made chunky chilli beef. Tasted yummy and enough to freeze again also. Serve with jacket spud or rice and I'm away.

Its a case of bulking it out with veggies a bit to get it to go further also. I tend to do this. Because its slow cooked, the flavour of the meat is there and you also of course have some in there, just not in every mouthful, but thats no biggie. We don't need to eat as much meat as we seem to.

People should try mutton also. It tastes good, is cheaper and you get plenty from it. Works out cheaper than lamb for sure.

I'm all for the less commonly used cuts. Just they seem to have lost favour over the more expensive quicker cooking cuts. Or are perceived as not being as tasty. Or people now simply don't have a clue what to do with them or how to cook them.

I also cook at least 3 non meat main meals a week. That also saves on the pocket and makes a nice change. Plus it gives my stomach time to slowly digest any meat sat there clogging it up :roll: :lol:

DOH! I missed that :roll: I couldnt believe how nice that beef was! Id go as far to say it was much nicer than a more expensive piece like Topside. Im definately going to be looking into cooking with different cuts. My next thing is Lamb Shanks. I havent tried those before and I'll do them in the same way - braise with veg

:)

lou said:
Sweetcheeks24 said:

I think everyone has to live their wn lives how they feel comfortable. I have no problems with people wanting to be vegetarian.

I do have a problem with the extreme side where people will berate others for choosing to eat meat. But that is a minority isn't it.

I agree with animal rights and I think animals whilst alive should have a good quality of life and be killed in the most humane way possible.

I don't eat a massive amount of meat myself but I do enjoy it.

I believe we are all animals kinda, the food chain, animals eat animals and we are no different.

Hope that makes sense :D

Sweetcheeks24 said:
lou said:
Sweetcheeks24 said:

I think everyone has to live their wn lives how they feel comfortable. I have no problems with people wanting to be vegetarian.

I do have a problem with the extreme side where people will berate others for choosing to eat meat. But that is a minority isn't it.

I agree with animal rights and I think animals whilst alive should have a good quality of life and be killed in the most humane way possible.

I don't eat a massive amount of meat myself but I do enjoy it.

I believe we are all animals kinda, the food chain, animals eat animals and we are no different.

Hope that makes sense :D

Yeah its pretty much how I feel but I just choose not to eat it, even occasionaly. We do eat fish though, but tbh I could easily kill a fish, that might sound ridiculous to some people but its the truth. I could never kill an animal, unless it was suffering and I was putting it out of its misery, but fish?...yeah, I could kill a fish (I think) :think: :rotfl:

(evey post I have to keep editing today :roll: typo's :roll: )

This thread is really interesting.

Since becoming pregnant I have gone right off chicken the taste and texture make me feel ill.

I have bought cheap chickens in the past but I wouldn't buy one now. I get most of my meat from my local butcher as it tastes far better than supermarket meat and I know it has comes from farmers in my local area.

It is slightly more expensive than a supermarket but not massively.

Im more bothered about buyin enough food for the week and how much Jam is eatin than where it actually came from, so long as its dead and edible then Im not fussed :lol:

mummykay said:
Im more bothered about buyin enough food for the week and how much Jam is eatin than where it actually came from, so long as its dead and edible then Im not fussed :lol:

And its that attitude that keeps the £1.99 in the supermarkets. I'm not knocking you mummykay, its your perogative, but all the while there is a part of society without a conscience then nothing will change. Unfortunately :(

lou said:
mummykay said:

And its that attitude that keeps the £1.99 in the supermarkets. I'm not knocking you mummykay, its your perogative, but all the while there is a part of society without a conscience then nothing will change. Unfortunately :(

I know lou, yes it is a shame that chickens die inhumanely but for me, the most important part is that my family gets fed? If something like a chicken thats runnin around free and dies humanely is such a gd thing then why do we have to pay more money?

but i will buy a free range chicken this weekend to see if its worth the dollar :lol:

mummykay said:
lou said:
mummykay said:

I know lou, yes it is a shame that chickens die inhumanely but for me, the most important part is that my family gets fed? If something like a chicken thats runnin around free and dies humanely is such a gd thing then why do we have to pay more money?

but i will buy a free range chicken this weekend to see if its worth the dollar :lol:

Nobody can knock you hun for looking out for your family. Its just about being aware I think. I reckon if you know all the facts, and don't mind eating a chicken thats lived a rank life and died in agony then go ahead and eat them. But if a little bit of you does care and you can afford free range then go for it! We all just have to do what we got to do :) Oh and you have to pay more money because more money is spent on their up keep and health and living conditions :D

The only whole chicken I've ever been able to cook is the M&S cook in the bag one, as you can't see it til it's cooked. The sight of an uncooked chicken makes me heave. Cooked is ok though. Haven't been buying these since I've been on maternity leave for financial reasons, so we don't have chicken.

Personally I don't buy any meat from Tesco as what I have bought in the past has been poor quality. I buy from the local butcher as the meat is far better quality and cheaper, also supports local business instead of the big greedy monster Tesco. That's a whole other argument though. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back