£1.99 Chicken from Tesco

mandspice

Reaction score
I know it's all a bit controversial but we had one yesterday and it was delicious (OH is a good cook mind you)......I may have to take cover from those concerned with animal welfare and farmer's livelihoods but I'm being "selfish" and saving for the future and really couldn't bring myself to pay up to £6 more for an organic chicken which, to me, tastes the same....

After the whole publicity thing my DH and I wont touch a battery farmed chicken or eggs.
It may taste as good as a free range one however we dont mind paying the extra few pounds - not necessarily for the taste although I do think there is a difference - but because of the way the chickens are treated and the sort of life they have.
I may be a meat eater but in my opinion that doesnt mean that the animals should have to suffer such terrible existences just because I eat the meat.
I have no issues paying an extra £3 or whatever to ensure that the meat i eat lived and died humanely.

we are the same hun, free range all the way for us from now on, but i still do think the labeling on the chickens can be a bit missleading

In an ideal world I would prefer to be able to pay more for free range but as for many people money is an issue and I cant aford to pay the extra all the time.
The cost of living keeps going up and up and people have to make ends meet if that means not buying free range so they can afford to feed their families I cant see the shame in that!

i dont think we said there was any shame in it hun, of course everyone does their best for their family

Its personal choice at the end of the day.

FWIW that 1.99 chicken was probably injected with water to bulk it out and make it appear heavier. When cooking, you can always tell as you see it come off the bird.

Also you say about organic. It is not the argument for many people. What they are concerned about is better living standards for the chickens so are trying to encourage larger living areas or free range outdoors for part of the day. That is not organic and also not comparable in price. It costs less for a free range or better farmed welfare chicken than it does for an organic. Please don't confuse the two.

I would rather spend more and know the bird had a better quality of life and was not so intensively farmed. If that means I cook extra veggies, stuffing and so on to bulk out the meal then so be it. Means the meat goes further. We don't need so much meat in our diets so I don't worry. And I can always tell the difference in flavour and texture between intensive and free range. Organic is something else again.

I also then pick the carcass clean for another meal, boil up the bones to have chicken stock to use in something like a risotto later in the week, therefore getting 3 meals from one bird.

I have been in farming. I know how it goes. At the end of the day, long term this kind of cheap food is not sustainable. Yes the supermarkets can afford to lose for a while, but the farmers cannot. Feed prices continue to rise, hence bread, flour and other basics all increasing in price. At some point chicken will be affected and people will whinge that its overpriced. Chances are those cheap chickens were fed the cheapest food, from the cheapest source and who knows where that came from or what effect it has had on the eco system of the country it was grown in. In Brazil, rainforests are being chopped down to plant soya. Soya to feed the chickens we eat. Ergo no rainforest anymore.

I think we long ago forgot how to get the most out of our meat by boiling the bones, buying the slower cooking cuts that while not prime steak certainly can be made into good hearty food.

The meat production is over sanitised and many simply have no idea of what goes into farming and rearing livestock. If they did, they would maybe think twice and investigate alternative meat cuts etc and see how they can do without it in their diet a few days a week.

I rear my own chickens. I keep some for egg production, some for meat. It costs me for the eaters from day old chick to 100 days and slaugher and back in a bag with giblets, £4 per bird. Those chickens are at least twice the size of the £1.99 birds in Tesco. They are slower growing, allowed to free range so develop a better taste and have a good life for the time they are here. I know they have had no drugs, no water injected to bulk them out and 100% that they have been raised in good conditions. We have done the same for pork and reared pigs.

Sorry wasnt aimed at anyone just at Lisa saying she would be hounded for saying so.

I watched the Jamie Oliver thing and thought it was appaling and try as much as possible to get free range, we've always brought free range eggs but with mayonaise and all sorts of things like that having eggs that arnt free range I know im already accidently fueling the trade so breaking the bank to buy a organic free range chicken isnt going to cancel that out might as well buy what I can aford but thats just my opinion.

To be honest I think that the money thing is often used as an excuse.

If I couldnt afford free range for whatever reason then I just wouldnt buy chicken at all

There have been times when I have gone to the supermarket and there hasnt been any free range on the shelves so we have just gone without.

I think if a lot of people (not all) looked honestly at the content of their trollies there are a lot of things that could be classed as luxury items or junk food that we pay for without thinking about it, yet say that free range chicken is too expensive for the budget and we cant afford it!
I would rather not buy a 12 pack of crisps or chocolate etc to have the money to buy the chicken.
I would rather have quality over quantity any day of the week. Thats not me casting aspersions over other people, just my own beliefs.

J-Do1979 said:

There have been times when I have gone to the supermarket and there hasnt been any free range on the shelves so we have just gone without.

I think if a lot of people (not all) looked honestly at the content of their trollies there are a lot of things that could be classed as luxury items or junk food that we pay for without thinking about it, yet say that free range chicken is too expensive for the budget and we cant afford it!
I would rather not buy a 12 pack of crisps or chocolate etc to have the money to buy the chicken.
I would rather have quality over quantity any day of the week. Thats not me casting aspersions over other people, just my own beliefs.

That's how I feel also. I would rather a decent chicken than a 12 pack of crisps. I often forgo the more junk or convenience foodstuffs over fresh produce as I find it works out cheaper to make my own and I get more meals out of it. I made a cauliflower cheese the other week for supper. Not a hint of meat in sight and it was delicious. Had I bought the same thing for OH and myself off the shelf, it would have cost me double and I'd have had none for the freezer. It only took 30 minutes to make from scratch.

I think so often now, people are rushed, or feel rushed and therefore opt for the quicker and perceived cheaper option, when it probably isn't the cheapest (or healthiest), or even tastiest. I find processed meals to be salty and the added flavourings not needed. I cook with zero salt in all my food and try to find flavour from fresh/dried herbs and so on, rather than artifical ones.

I make a really tasty home made scone based pizza. Feeds 6 and costs less than £3 to make. If I bought a pre-made veggie pizza in the store, it would cost me at least double that for 6 people and would not taste as good. Four kids all tell me I make the best pizza ever and they don't eat shop ones anymore. Makes me happy anyways :)

I completely understand where everyone's coming from and I agree that free range and organic are two different things.....I'll be honest and say that we're not poor but as humans we're able to adapt our conscience to suit us and on a basic level I enjoyed the chicken and saved some money.

It does throw up other questions to me - it is important to research where possible the manufacture of clothes and other items in third world factories full of exploited workers, or black market DVDs which can fund all kinds of criminal activity....etc etc

I suppose what I mean is that I do agree we (including me!) shouldn't really buy these chickens but at the same time we can't contribute to every cause - it's just a case of being informed and deciding what we want to do with that information.

In a ideal world I would love to buy the free range chicken and eggs as they do taste nicer and I like the thought that these animals were treated humanely.

But with a budget of 50 quid a week for shopping and that includes nappies and formula money is very tight and with 4 mouths to feed I simply cant afford it as everything that goes in my trolley has to be of the value range.

Sherlock.. come round to mine and teach me ho to cook things from scratch please :wink:

I don't agree with Tesco offering a chicken for £2, luckily it's only an offer thats on until Sunday.

TBH I used to be bad with stuff like this, didn't really care about what I was eating/where it come from. Since I got pregnant and now Jack is here I take more notice. Afterall why would I want to give my baby that sort of crap :think: doesn't make sense. Filled with loadsa crap just to make it look better.

I'd rather pay extra and make sure my child is eating good healthy natural meat.

And I aint an animal activist or anything like that. Just someone with a bit of common sense :wink:

Sherlock said:
J-Do1979 said:

That's how I feel also. I would rather a decent chicken than a 12 pack of crisps. I often forgo the more junk or convenience foodstuffs over fresh produce as I find it works out cheaper to make my own and I get more meals out of it. I made a cauliflower cheese the other week for supper. Not a hint of meat in sight and it was delicious. Had I bought the same thing for OH and myself off the shelf, it would have cost me double and I'd have had none for the freezer. It only took 30 minutes to make from scratch.

I think so often now, people are rushed, or feel rushed and therefore opt for the quicker and perceived cheaper option, when it probably isn't the cheapest (or healthiest), or even tastiest. I find processed meals to be salty and the added flavourings not needed. I cook with zero salt in all my food and try to find flavour from fresh/dried herbs and so on, rather than artifical ones.

I make a really tasty home made scone based pizza. Feeds 6 and costs less than £3 to make. If I bought a pre-made veggie pizza in the store, it would cost me at least double that for 6 people and would not taste as good. Four kids all tell me I make the best pizza ever and they don't eat shop ones anymore. Makes me happy anyways :)

:clap: :clap:

completely agree
It was only 60 years ago that we had rationing etc in this country and people managed to get by then without starving! I think we have become complacent about the amount of food at our disposal and have got lazy in the process.
Once you get into it, its actually really easy to cook from scratch and you dont have to spend more than 10 mins in the kitchen preparing dinner.
Its just about mindset and trying new things and being open to changing habits.
I think its easier for some people to say they cant afford it when in honesty its just that they cant be arsed. Controversial statement I know but I have a get out clause - Im nearly 40 weeks pregnant,very swollen, very fed up and very hormonal. If I cant get away with speaking my mind now, when can I??!

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Sweetcheeks24 said:
Sherlock.. come round to mine and teach me ho to cook things from scratch please :wink:

I don't agree with Tesco offering a chicken for £2, luckily it's only an offer thats on until Sunday.

TBH I used to be bad with stuff like this, didn't really care about what I was eating/where it come from. Since I got pregnant and now Jack is here I take more notice. Afterall why would I want to give my baby that sort of crap :think: doesn't make sense. Filled with loadsa crap just to make it look better.

I'd rather pay extra and make sure my child is eating good healthy natural meat.

And I aint an animal activist or anything like that. Just someone with a bit of common sense :wink:

I did hesitate because of nutrients to the baby but then I though abouthow many times I've eaten out in places like Wetherspoons and other pubs, ie, not high quality establishments, and found myself wondering what chicken they would use in their meals....and I can't believe they would go for the free range at £3.99 for a chicken burger and chips or chicken curry...etc

After all that I only eat meat around once a month at home and occasionally when out so I'm sure bubz will be ok!

i would love to by free range eggs and chicken and stuff but we really cant afored it as im not working at the moment money is very tight

the thing is..... if you see how they all get killed, free range or not... you probably wouldnt eat any of them.

My parents have a farm and I have seen it all, from bring new baby lambs and calves into the world right through to the slauter house, and the hanginf of them meat.

When I was 13 I used to help at a local chicken farm to earn some money, they were all free range, until 5am in the morning when we would all arrive to catch the chickens... What we did next is a way of life, but I know it will offend people so I won't say.

All I am trying to say is yeah, they maybe had a good life, but the end of their life comes to them all the same, battery, free range of other

just wanted to add tho, the £1.99 chickens are stupidly cheap and the farmers will only be earning about 2p a chicken from that :x :x

SarahH said:
the thing is..... if you see how they all get killed, free range or not... you probably wouldnt eat any of them.

My parents have a farm and I have seen it all, from bring new baby lambs and calves into the world right through to the slauter house, and the hanginf of them meat.

When I was 13 I used to help at a local chicken farm to earn some money, they were all free range, until 5am in the morning when we would all arrive to catch the chickens... What we did next is a way of life, but I know it will offend people so I won't say.

All I am trying to say is yeah, they maybe had a good life, but the end of their life comes to them all the same, battery, free range of other

I know that they all end up dead but in my opinion that doesnt mean that they should all lead a miserable existance whilst they are alive. Killing any animal is a necessary evil for carnavores however there is no need to prolong the evil for the entire life span of any animal. If anything, we should be more respectful to the animals we eat because they provide us with nutrients and are an important part our our diet in death.

SarahH said:
just wanted to add tho, the £1.99 chickens are stupidly cheap and the farmers will only be earning about 2p a chicken from that :x :x

I'm sure it must be down to Tesco to absorb the loss in this case though, as it is their promotion, not the farmers'

Still, I am sure the farmers do earn lower than they should because of the cheapness of battery farmed chickens..... we have the same problem in the travel industry - pay is rubbish because holidays are all about low costs and special deals these days!

Its hard to back and support any cause without some little contradictions. For example we are a mainly veggie family but we eat fish and have leather sofa's and shoes. Doesn't take away my decision to think of us as a vegetarian family but if you sat me down with a die hard vegetarian / animal activist / know-all-there-is-to-know-about-animals-and-farming-and-welfare then I would probably never call myself a vegetarian animal lover again :oops:

We just all have to do what we feel gives us peace of mind. For some thats going the whole hog and really studying the ins and outs of whatever we feel strongly about and then changing our whole lifestyle in order to live true to ourselves or just trying to get by the best we can and make little changes ie free range eggs and chicken, not eating blatantly cruel things like veal and that pate stuff thats mean :(

So you ate a £1.99 chicken that wasn't free range....if you can live with that then fair enough. I couldn't but thats because I don't eat chicken full stop but someone else would say they couldn't because they eat only free range chicken. Its all personal choice like has already been said. I don't think any less of you for it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back