£1.99 Chicken from Tesco

I’m coming over for tea Sherlock! I’m from the countryside originally and the idea of fresh local produce, growing my own, buying meat from local butchers and eating in restaurants where I can question the origin of the food and get an educated answer definitely appeals to me.

But I live in a busy urban area, with 5 (yes 5!) Tesco stores within 15 minutes walk of my house, lots chain pubs serving Sunday roasts for £5.95, a chicken shop on every corner and at least 2 new takeaway leaflets through my door every day. Not saying I eat all this but I am a consumer, work long hours and commute, and like many I lazily take advantage of what the big corporations hand to me on a plate….we don’t drive and the nearest farm shops are deep into the Essex countryside so we become enticed by the bright lights and special offers of Tesco!

And believe me, if you questioned the origin of the chicken in my local chain style pub they would probably say "the freezer" ! I know I don't have to eat there and of course you can get anything you want in London, but here it's often comes down to having money.

A bit off tipoc maybe, but I think growing vegetables in pots is a good idea. My son would enjoy helping me, there's no back breaking digging and I can just leave them in the earth til I need them so I don't have them turning green before I use them.

My Granda started doing this last year when he moved and didn't have the space to have a veg plot.

I might do it this year.

chezzabell said:
I rolled my eyes because this whole thread is pathetic!!

I take umbridge with being seen as pathetic. I'm a 37 year old woman who has worked her entire life. I have educated myself, supported myself and feel no one can class me as pathetic for expressing myself in a well thought out consider manner. I have made it clear my reasoning and it goes well beyond chicken welfare.

I like to think I am fairly intelligent and that I bother to read and learn about things I don't understand. That I research things as fully as I can so as to have an informed opinion on it for myself and to be able to discuss.

To have the input from yourself of 'pathetic' is to me of no help whatsoever to the discussion. You offer no reason as to why or anything. That is not discussion, that is a bit of pot stirring IMHO.

This thread has raised some very interesting discussion and its been, at least to me and a fair few others a worthwhile read.

Sherlock said:
chezzabell said:

I take umbridge with being seen as pathetic. I'm a 37 year old woman who has worked her entire life. I have educated myself, supported myself and feel no one can class me as pathetic for expressing myself in a well thought out consider manner. I have made it clear my reasoning and it goes well beyond chicken welfare.

I like to think I am fairly intelligent and that I bother to read and learn about things I don't understand. That I research things as fully as I can so as to have an informed opinion on it for myself and to be able to discuss.

To have the input from yourself of 'pathetic' is to me of no help whatsoever to the discussion. You offer no reason as to why or anything. That is not discussion, that is a bit of pot stirring IMHO.

This thread has raised some very interesting discussion and its been, at least to me and a fair few others a worthwhile read.

:clap: Don't rise to it. She's blatantly fishing for an arguement, chipping in every now and again :roll:

Yep, it's good to see we have lots of educated Mummies or Mummies to be with strong opinions and convictions - we'll teach our LO's well :D

chezzabell said:

Then why are you still reading it? :rotfl:

I think it's good that people are discussing it. Surely that's what needs to happen on loads of different things. In fact I applaud the majority of you (both free range and non free range eaters :lol: ) on conducting a good debate without insulting each other but standing by your views.

Its a shame a couple like chezzabell find it impossible to have an intelligent debate without being immature :D I suggest we ignore those comments from now on and carry on .. :dance:

I've found this thread very interesting, and if it makes some people think more about where their food comes from, that can only be a good thing 8)

Sweetcheeks24 said:
chezzabell said:

Then why are you still reading it? :rotfl:

I think it's good that people are discussing it. Surely that's what needs to happen on loads of different things. In fact I applaud the majority of you (both free range and non free range eaters :lol: ) on conducting a good debate without insulting each other but standing by your views.

Its a shame a couple like chezzabell find it impossible to have an intelligent debate without being immature :D I suggest we ignore those comments from now on and carry on .. :dance:

cool. I'm off out....back in a bit 8)

jenni32 said:
The only whole chicken I've ever been able to cook is the M&S cook in the bag one, as you can't see it til it's cooked. The sight of an uncooked chicken makes me heave. though. :)

OMG, its my chicken twin :rotfl:

Isn't Fois Gras Goose liver or something.
They force feed them so their livers become enlarged I saw a programme about it not long ago i think :think:

mandspice said:
I’m coming over for tea Sherlock! I’m from the countryside originally and the idea of fresh local produce, growing my own, buying meat from local butchers and eating in restaurants where I can question the origin of the food and get an educated answer definitely appeals to me.

But I live in a busy urban area, with 5 (yes 5!) Tesco stores within 15 minutes walk of my house, lots chain pubs serving Sunday roasts for £5.95, a chicken shop on every corner and at least 2 new takeaway leaflets through my door every day. Not saying I eat all this but I am a consumer, work long hours and commute, and like many I lazily take advantage of what the big corporations hand to me on a plate….we don’t drive and the nearest farm shops are deep into the Essex countryside so we become enticed by the bright lights and special offers of Tesco!

And believe me, if you questioned the origin of the chicken in my local chain style pub they would probably say "the freezer" ! I know I don't have to eat there and of course you can get anything you want in London, but here it's often comes down to having money.

Awwww I know not everyone lives the same lifestyle, nor might they want to. I've done city/town living and rural and much prefer the rural. Its not been without sacrifice though. But I'd never go back to a town or city to live. I earn less, but have 380 acres of land surrounding me to use as a back garden. My kids playground will be all this. Sheep and lambs each winter and spring, pigs, chickens, deer roaming wild, nature on the doorstep. No nearby roads to worry about them running out in to, lots of tracks to cycle and walk and explore and well, you get the picture. But I accept its not for everyone, which is fair enough.

But it means I don't see much of my family and friends, I have to consider the impact my car has and to be careful about the journeys I make. I have to book cinema tickets a week in advance as its 45 minutes to the nearest one. I have to work hard in the house and garden and put in effort to get the results from the land and animals, but its well worth it for me.

And o dear :lol: about your local pub and the freezer line. I know how expensive London is and can appreciate the dilemmas faced when living there. OH was living in St Albans and commuting elsewhere nearby for a while due to his job but he could not stomach it anymore and quit to come back and work locally for himself. Less money for us, but better quality of life and he is much happier this way. Plus he is home all week not just weekends now.

lauramumof2 said:
jenni32 said:
The only whole chicken I've ever been able to cook is the M&S cook in the bag one, as you can't see it til it's cooked. The sight of an uncooked chicken makes me heave. though. :)

OMG, its my chicken twin :rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl:

That made me laugh lots. Thank you :)

Sherlock said:
Sausages I only buy the local butcher ones made from fresh ground meat. I won't buy Wall's or any other brand pre packed in store. Again, the meat reclaiming and the actual meat content (look at the fat that comes off cheap sausages when you cook them :shock: ) put me off. Plus all the additives etc. It's insane what people are putting into their bodies :shock:

This year I shall get some more chickens to rear for the table and hopefully another pig if I have time and energy once LO is here. I am also considering rearing a couple of geese or ducks for the table for Christmas.

OK, I'll go hide under the sofa now :lol:

what about richmond sausages, do you think they are probably the same? We really like them but im starting to wonder.

Also, I dont know if I could kill a bird I had reared. I couldnt see it in my backdoor then on my table. Im all for your way of thinking but I think that might turn me veggie.

That was a very interesting post.

foie gras is a gooses liver, its a really horrible way to make it tho, they force feed the goose to make the liver bigger - proper stuff it with food non stop then kill it for the liver pate :puke: :puke: :puke:

emma28 said:
A bit off tipoc maybe, but I think growing vegetables in pots is a good idea. My son would enjoy helping me, there's no back breaking digging and I can just leave them in the earth til I need them so I don't have them turning green before I use them.

My Granda started doing this last year when he moved and didn't have the space to have a veg plot.

I might do it this year.

Fresh potatoes straight out of the ground all summer is bliss. Worth the couple of hours of effort to set them up and the almost daily watering and checking. And you are right, its a great thing to do with kids. I love going fishing for spuds in the pot. Messy but great fun. And kids can then collect them, wash them and see them cooked and know they helped grow them :)

I tend to stagger my planting over the course of a month or so, so as to not have masses at once. I also buy different varities of seed potatoes to plant with, so as to have different types for different cooking purposes.

So long as you have some plastic pots, large ones, about 1 foot sqaure (I got some new and some 2nd hand) and some soil from the garden (you can put it back once done then, I used to dig mine from behind a big bush so no one noticed the hole in the ground) and a bag of seed potatoes, you are set. A bit of feed for the water also is good once they grow.

Just make sure you put some stones in the bottom of the pots for drainage and a hole in the base for excess water to drain out and you are away.

A great meal with fresh pots is with quark, fresh chopped dill and chives mixed into it and served with the spuds (always with a knob of butter and piping hot). Scrummy. Not to everyones taste but I love it. Meal in itself for me.

Good luck if you have a go at them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back