£1.99 Chicken from Tesco

Sherlock you are sooooo on the money girl!

Its a shame that some people feel the need to be very negative about the post without actually contributing anything to it but hey ho thats their perogative I guess.

In terms of why the F I should give a sh*t about a chicken when there is world poverty etc then its as I stated before. Just because its potentially the lesser of 2 evils doesnt make it any more right and if in my own way of doing things I can make things better for those that I share the planet with - be it chickens or people or cows or whatever then Im gonna try and do that.

I dont really see that that should be viewed as a negative thing tbh. :think:

lauramumof2 said:
what about richmond sausages, do you think they are probably the same? We really like them but im starting to wonder.

Also, I dont know if I could kill a bird I had reared. I couldnt see it in my backdoor then on my table. Im all for your way of thinking but I think that might turn me veggie.

That was a very interesting post.

Have a close look at the label. The cheaper they are, the more likely they are to ooze fat when cooked (a good example is the mini frozen ones). Wall's and Richmond might not use reclaimed meat in some of their range (maybe not in any of it anymore) but the actual meat content is very low in comparision to home made or butchers ones. And as to exactly what part of the animal is going into them, I would not like to say. Also check for additives etc and see what you make of the label. It's been a long time since I bought prepacked sausages tbh, and many companies have been pressed to change their ways with regards to the ingredients.

With regards to killing your own food. Its hard in the beginning. However, I don't get attached to the table birds. I view them as a food source and by the time they reach 100 days I am usually glad to see the back of them. I have no qualms about eating one of our chooks. They taste amazing. Stuffed with fresh veggies and a couple of cloves of chopped garlic so as to steam from the inside a bit when cooking, cover with foil for the first half, then remove and baste in its own juices... Yummy.

The leg meat tends to be much darker as the chickens muscles are actually used and are stronger. The white meat falls off the bone when cooked and the difference in taste is very noticeable. And it only costs me £4 per bird from start to finish, plus I get giblets for stock and gravy. It also costs me time and effort, but that I don't put a price on. Once you get into the habit of it all, its easy enough to care for them each day.

mummykay said:
foie gras is a gooses liver, its a really horrible way to make it tho, they force feed the goose to make the liver bigger - proper stuff it with food non stop then kill it for the liver pate :puke: :puke: :puke:

It's a horrible process. Its a staple part of French cuisine. Most of the Foie Gras is imported from the continent, so the price here is much higher than over there.

Its never been on my shopping list :puke:

Sherlock said:
mummykay said:
foie gras is a gooses liver, its a really horrible way to make it tho, they force feed the goose to make the liver bigger - proper stuff it with food non stop then kill it for the liver pate :puke: :puke: :puke:

It's a horrible process. Its a staple part of French cuisine. Most of the Foie Gras is imported from the continent, so the price here is much higher than over there.

Its never been on my shopping list :puke:

no I don't know of anyone who has ever eaten it either. Or frogs legs, thats mean! They drop the frogs onto a blade to get the legs off them throw them in a bucket to bleed to death. Thats how they used to do it anyway. I believe.

Lou, please don't tell me.. Everytime I see something like that on tv I can never forget it and its unsetting :cry: :hug:

J-Do1979 & Sherlock - I agree with what your saying girls.

I only buy organic or free range chicken and don't have an issue with paying the extra. All our fruit and veg is organic, sourced from local suppliers and delivered weekly so I don't have to make the trip to the supermarket.

HOWEVER, I would far rather see a family on a lower income buying a £1.99 chicken, preparing a home cooked meal, sitting round the table, having a conversation and eating veggies than eating some shite from the freezer aisle, sitting infront of the telly and not speaking to one another.

I just wish that the likes to Tesco would reduce the organic / free range chickens to make them accessible to those on lower incomes, rather than pushing down the price of the battery farmed birds.

sunnyday said:
I only buy organic or free range chicken and don't have an issue with paying the extra. All our fruit and veg is organic, sourced from local suppliers and delivered weekly so I don't have to make the trip to the supermarket.

HOWEVER, I would far rather see a family on a lower income buying a £1.99 chicken, preparing a home cooked meal, sitting round the table, having a conversation and eating veggies than eating some shite from the freezer aisle, sitting infront of the telly and not speaking to one another.

I just wish that the likes to Tesco would reduce the organic / free range chickens to make them accessible to those on lower incomes, rather than pushing down the price of the battery farmed birds.

See I think It would be better for everyone concerned if a lower income family buy a free range chicken and learn how to stretch it out for more than one meal. Like others have said you can get 3 meals out of one chicken if you know what to do with it. Once you have the knowledge to do that, then once you've had your first meal from the free range chicken the next two meals out of it are technically free because its chicken you would have normally thrown in the rubbish :wink:

lou said:
sunnyday said:

See I think It would be better for everyone concerned if a lower income family buy a free range chicken and learn how to stretch it out for more than one meal. Like others have said you can get 3 meals out of one chicken if you know what to do with it. Once you have the knowledge to do that, then once you've had your first meal from the free range chicken the next two meals out of it are technically free because its chicken you would have normally thrown in the rubbish :wink:

Yes I do agree with you and I take pleasure from picking away at my half eaten chicken! It's all about education... I think the Government should introduce a far more detailed home economics syllabus into the national curriculum - healthy eating, home cooking etc. Perhaps it would spare us the constant shock tactic approach by flippin celebrity chefs!

Well girls, i was in the same school of thought as mummykay i think it was
All animals are killed in the end for us to stuff our faces with and they don't know any different
but...
I have read all of this thread from start to finish with a cuppa in between :wink: and i have to say you have really opened my eyes to certain things
So ok i think i am giving my family a great healthy meal with roast chicken and veggies etc..., but on the other hand if they are filled with water and crap to make them look better and been given stuff to make them grow fast that can't be healthy at all

Saying that though i have never bought the value chickens( that i can remember), mainly because they don't tend to look that good

The chickens i normally buy are £4-£5 so dunno whether they are free range or not TBH
I'll just be happy if i know the meat i am buying hasn't been filled with crap to make it look better or last longer

So i for one am teetering on the edge of conversion and will check it out next time i do my shop

The last lot of eggs i bought though were woodland something from Sainsburys ( which btw for a full shop turned out loads cheaper than tesco :wink: )

:wave:

I looooove Foie Gras - sorry

Having said that, I wish they wouldn't force feed the geese to make it bigger. I much prefer the taste when it is smaller and closer to it's natural size. I tend to avoid it now days as it is very rare you get the tasty normal sized ones. However I am a right sucker for it in pate.

jo said:
Well girls, i was in the same school of thought as mummykay i think it was
All animals are killed in the end for us to stuff our faces with and they don't know any different
but...
I have read all of this thread from start to finish with a cuppa in between :wink: and i have to say you have really opened my eyes to certain things
So ok i think i am giving my family a great healthy meal with roast chicken and veggies etc..., but on the other hand if they are filled with water and crap to make them look better and been given stuff to make them grow fast that can't be healthy at all

)

Also,you know the pesticides they stick all over your veg? Well,they were originally developed for chemical warfare in WW2. See the correlation between intensive farming and the end of rationing etc? Scary isn't it :wink:

i have always just shopped for cheapest but i think this post has been worthwhile because i for one will now think twice before just picking up my meat because its cheap.

xxxxx

when i was younger and lived at home we were so poor i often went to bed hungry so i can understand why some people have little choice but to go for the £1.99 chicken.

now i can afford to make the choice i will always buy free range chicken products.

however, people need to remember that any food containing chicken, like pies or kievs or kfc, contain battery farmed birds. and mayonnaise, salad dressings, ready made foods and all kinds of other things contain battery farmed eggs. so we could eat it unintentionally.

This is what I buy:

images-7.jpg

No guilt, no fuss and tasty!
:)

I always buy free-range where i can. And im by no means rich etc. (me and OH are on less then 12 grand a year) It makes me feel better really, knowing im doing 'alittle' (i also try to buy fair trade clothing/coffee) im not totally green, and i probably waste alot, but i try to even things out by doing a little now and then.

this thread has made me want to turn veggie again!! lol
i dont buy chicken as i dont eat much meat but i do buy free range eggs.

sherlock: it takes ages for me to read all your posts, lol but i find it really interesting. im gunna start my own vegetable patch when i move to the country!

HappyAlice said:
This is what I buy:

images-7.jpg

No guilt, no fuss and tasty!
:)

Me too! I buy Quorn mince, Quorn sausages and I make our own burgers. I don't buy processed food. I buy fresh fish from our local fishmonger (which is cheaper) and I bug my veg/fruit from our local farmers' market. On a side note my OH eats crap! :lol: (a whole different story :roll: ) But Dan and I eat really well. Manly due to SW but also because I am very aware of what our modern 'food' is made off and hows its prepared.

............I would also like to say, this thread has been a very good read and very intellectually diverse. I know the word 'pathetic' has been thrown around but I would like to say I have really enjoyed reading the different opinions.

_Rosie_ said:
sherlock: it takes ages for me to read all your posts, lol but i find it really interesting. im gunna start my own vegetable patch when i move to the country!

Glad you find them worth reading :) Sorry they do tend toward the long side though :oops: Veggie patches are great. Require some effort but in the summer being outside every day doing something is always good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back