your xmas dinner, meat veg and prep q&a

lisa&alex

Reaction score
what do you do for xmas eve? we normally have a buffet style faff.. just us though meats, pickles cheeses etc..this year we are going to the harvester for my birthday in the afternoon so don think we will have it..
have you taken your turkey out of the freezer? do you cook it xmas eve etc?
ive just taken our crown out.. we always cook ours xmas eve cut it up put it on a tray with a damp towel over it and cling film to keep it moist then put it in the oven with foil on to keep the steam inside (without the towel and clingfilm) for 15 mins to warm through on the day.
what veggies do you do? we usually do carrots boiled and roasted, peas, roastys, mash, roast parsnips roast onion slices.
do you make your gravy yourself if so would you like to share your recipe? my chicken/turkey gravy never tastes of anything so would love some tips
what do you have for pudding? we have chocolates, trifle, xmas cake, birthday cake or mince pies or nothing depending on dinner lol
what do you do boxing day? we never go to the sales.. can never be bothered, we usually laze about play with the kids new toys, clean up and eat rubbish and left overs :D

what do you do for xmas eve?
Nothing very boring just watch xmas telly
We cooked xmas dinner for the first time last year and we brought a cook from frozen turkey crown from iceland so we cooked it xmas day
what veggies do you do?
Normally carrotts, parsnips, brussels, roasties
do you make your gravy yourself if so would you like to share your recipe?
Nope boil a kettle add the powder
what do you have for pudding?
Trifle mince pies xmas pudding
what do you do boxing day?
Normally go to my mums for dinner cold turkey mash and pickles yummy sometimes go to town if bored but normally stay in they in the evening we go to DH mums/sisters for a buffet.

what do you do for xmas eve? We have a little buffet and open one present each from under the tree
have you taken your turkey out of the freezer? do you cook it xmas eve etc? Its cooked on xmas day.
what veggies do you do? Roasties, mash, swede, honey roasted parsnips, carrots in thyme, with other veg.
do you make your gravy yourself if so would you like to share your recipe? I just use shop gravy.
what do you have for pudding? Gateau, with other cakes.
what do you do boxing day: We just relax at home with the kids.

what do you do for xmas eve? Nothing special, just a normal dinner and then the pub (not this yr though!)
have you taken your turkey out of the freezer? do you cook it xmas eve etc? It is a fresh turkey and cooked on the day, this yr we are having beef and chicken
what veggies do you do? Roast pots, carrots and parsnips and a green veg, this yr cabbage
do you make your gravy yourself if so would you like to share your recipe? My mum makes it! I think with juices from the meat, corn flour and oxo
what do you have for pudding? It varies, this year, homemade bakewell tart and trifle
what do you do boxing day: Stay at home in the morning and then parents/in laws for lunch and friends round in the evening (that was pre Ella though, not sure this year)

what do you do for xmas eve? I prepare all the veg, tidy up like a mad woman, have a glass of wine, leave Santa a glass of something and then go to bed after watching a bit of TV
have you taken your turkey out of the freezer? Check! I did that just now. I might cook mine Xmas eve like you Lis, thats a really good idea and saves loads of space in the oven on Xmas Day!!!
What Veggies do you do? Usually way too many. This yr its carrots, cauli, brussels, roast parsnips, peas and maybe some swede.
do you make your gravy yourself if so would you like to share your recipe? I have no idea how to make my own gravy!!
what do you have for pudding? Usually something Chocolatey but this yr Ive gone for lemon meringue pie
what do you do boxing day? This year I have 3 of my brothers coming to dinner so we're doing another big roast and then having drinkys

what do you do for xmas eve?This year I will prepare all the veg(cooking my 1st xmas dinner got away with it every year untill now lol), make sure everything is tidy, leave Santa a beer and mince pie and then go to bed after watching a bit of TV

have you taken your turkey out of the freezer? do you cook it xmas eve etc? Not having turkey this year as no one likes it, we are having beef and pork and im cooking it xmas eve

what veggies do you do? New and roast pots, suede and carrots, cabbage, brocalli, brussels and roast parsnips

do you make your gravy yourself if so would you like to share your recipe?Yea I use the juices from the meat, corn flour and oxo

what do you have for pudding? Christmas pudding and trifle

what do you do boxing day? I do a buffet, my FIL and SIL are coming again (having them xmas day too), i will use the rest of the meat from xmas dinner i also have some gammon, we have prawn rings and all ur usual buffet food

Cook the turkey, clean clean clean, watch tv
it's a lovely fresh turkey, i'll cook it christmas eve and cook my beef overnight
what veggies do you do?
new pots, roast pots, steamed carrots, sprouts, cabbage, sping greens and peas
i use the juices from the beef with flour, stock, salt and gravy browning mmm
black forest gateux and ice cream
do a buffet, play with the kids and put something christmassy on TV

what do you do for xmas eve? Busy during the day delivering presents to my Aunties, then to my friend's for her 2 girls then to another friend's for her little boy. Then I will cook im making lasange. Then during the evening me and hubby will have a few drinks and watch TV

have you taken your turkey out of the freezer? do you cook it xmas eve etc? No, cant decide on whether to defrost it or cook from frozen :think: I bought a 3 bird roast from Aldi its Turkey, chicken and duck with stuffing. Its our first Christmas at home and I thought a turkey would be too big for just the 3 of us.

what veggies do you do? Going to do roast and new potatoes, roast parsnips, broccoli, carrots, swede and cabbage

do you make your gravy yourself if so would you like to share your recipe? I would normally but I dont think the 3 bird roast will create a lot of juices so I bought one from Morrisons "Turkey gravy with chestnuts". If I was making my own I would roast the turkey with a couple of carrots and garlic cloves in the bottom of the tray. When you have taken your turkey out spoon off most of the fat from the tray. Now mash the carrots and garlic with all the lovely juices and then add 1 tbsp on plain flour and mix together to make a paste. Add a good stock or water and keep mixing, dont worry if it goes a bit lumpy cause you are going to seive it later, keep on the heat and simmer for 10 minutes until reduced down, if you want to make it thinner just add more water if you want to thicken it add a little left over yorkshire pudding mix or corn flour. Seive before serving to get rid of the carrot lumps, garlic skins and anyother lumps.

what do you have for pudding? Some sort of orange and fruit steamed sponge pudding it looks a bit like a spotted dick with orange peel in it on the picture on the packet

what do you do boxing day? I used to go out on an all dayer with the girls while hubby went to football but they are playing away this year and he doesnt want to go so this year we are going to my Mums for a buffet

Usually work in the morning, go to cemetary to put flowers on mums grave, bake cookies and cakes, watch tv and get drunk when the kids are in bed
No turkey for us, we've got a chicken and a beef joint, both will be cooked xmas day (actually will do the beef tomorrow in the slow cooker)
what veggies do you do?
Mash, roast potatoes, broccoli, carrots & sprouts
Just bisto in this house
Chocolate cake (when I make it) & ice cream, also mince pies and xmas cake.
this year we are going to mils :wall: first and last year since we've rowed about it :roll:

What do you do for xmas eve?

A quiet night in, usually a simple dinner and just cuddle up on the sofa. Wrap the last of the presents and stuff. So nothing different this year apart from Galen will be sleeping upstairs.

Have you taken your turkey out of the freezer? Do you cook it xmas eve etc?

Never buy a frozen bird. And never turkey. Always duck, fresh free range one, picked it up today from the butcher. And nope, cook it fresh on the day.

what veggies do you do?

Roast potatoes, lemon and garlic carrots, mashed swede, minted peas and maybe something else, but depends. Also make a gingerbread stuffing which is YUM

do you make your gravy yourself if so would you like to share your recipe? I do. I use the meat juices etc and stock saved and frozen from other roasts. Always make it in the roasting tin, never a saucepan.

what do you have for pudding? Maybe Christmas Pud, more likely apple pie or some such

what do you do boxing day? Depends. Usually something easy like a gammon joint. Or leftover duck with pancakes and hoisin.

Here we are usually pretty low-key. We always open up one gift, though: pajamas and usually slippers. This year I also got a robe! In America we used to get amazing Chinese food delivered but now we got to my uncle's and have homemade pierogies, green beans with almonds, ham for the meat eaters, mashed potatoes, nice bread and cheesecake and cookies.
We're vegetarian
what veggies do you do?
Loads. I do different things every year, but I always make sure to have greenbean casserole, broccoli casserole, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, roast potatoes and cranberry relish- everything always from scratch
I make cranberry or roasted onion gravy! They're vegetarian.
Pies, cakes, cookies... A lot or choice, actually.
I don't do boxing day because I am American! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back