Christmas day menu..

kadesmummy

Reaction score
Anyone decided on their xmas day menu yet?

I've already done mine haha, i know - a bit prepared lol.

So this year.. we will be having!!

*SNACKS*

& then...

*STARTER*
Vegetable Soup (homeade, big chunky vegetables!)
*DINNER*
Turkey, stuffing, roast and creamed potatoes, sweetcorn and cocktail sausages wrapped in bacon.
*PUDDING*
Home made strawberry trifle OR xmas cake OR icecream w/ jellybeans, sprinkles and sauce (for the kids :)

xx

Were going to my mums for Christmas so whatever shes making :D

We've staying at home this year with 2 of our brothers. It's the first time we have stayed at home for xmas dinner for about 5 years :D

Starters
Smoked salmon towers. They are gorgeous if I do say so myself! :lol:
A layer of smoke salmon, cream roulade filling, avocado, smoke salmon, king prawns
repeat layers, drizzle with lemon, dill and lots of black pepper. Serve with rocket & cherry toms.
Very naughty, but very nice!

Melon and ham for OH as he won't eat any fish, salad or soup :roll:

Dinner
Turkey, stuffing, roast sweet pots, parsnips, pigs in blankets, carrots, green beans.
OH will probably insist on sausagemeat and yorkshire puddings too.

Pudding
Christmas pudding and chocolate log and cream for OH.

Slimming world totally goes out the window on christmas day! :rotfl:

Misslarue said:
We've staying at home this year with 2 of our brothers. It's the first time we have stayed at home for xmas dinner for about 5 years :D

Starters
Smoked salmon towers. They are gorgeous if I do say so myself! :lol:
A layer of smoke salmon, cream roulade filling, avocado, smoke salmon, king prawns
repeat layers, drizzle with lemon, dill and lots of black pepper. Serve with rocket & cherry toms.
Very naughty, but very nice!

Melon and ham for OH as he won't eat any fish, salad or soup :roll:

Dinner
Turkey, stuffing, roast sweet pots, parsnips, pigs in blankets, carrots, green beans.
OH will probably insist on sausagemeat and yorkshire puddings too.

Pudding
Christmas pudding and chocolate log and cream for OH.

Slimming world totally goes out the window on christmas day! :rotfl:

Sounds amazing :) i'm coming to yours for xmas dinner haha! x

I think we are off to MIL so what ever they are cooking, last year my boys (DH AND DS) had their fav Pasta pesto and bacon :roll: I prefer a traditional menu!!

We're going to MIL's. I've told her that even if baby is born Christmas morning I'll still turn up in my PJs! I'm not missing my Christmas dinner for anything :shakehead: :D We'll be having turkey with all the trimmings. We don't generally do starters there, and have traditional Christmas pudding, mince pies etc for dessert.

Ooh I'm looking forward to it already!

we dont have a starter but main we will prob have
turkey/ beef/ veg extra
roast potatos
mash potatoes
Parsnips in honey
Carrots beens
and red cabbage with apple
stuffing
bacon round sausges

:D
for desert well have xmas pud or ice cream :D

Starter depends. Maybe broccoli and stilton soup, maybe something involving smoked salmon. Not sure. I may even skip it this year.

Main course is never ever turkey. Can't be doing spending hours cooking a dry meat bird that is always too much on leftovers. So usually

Duck (home reared) and then served with

Roast pots (done with onion in the oven to improve flavour) cooked in goose fat if possible
Really good quality sausages wrapped in smokey bacon
Home made gingerbread and bacon stuffing
Lemon carrots (done with lemon, garlic and a sprinkle of sugar in the water when cooking - its the only veg I use water to cook on Christmas day)
Leeks in a cheese sauce
Fresh peas
Roasted parsnips with maple syrup (for parents as I can't stand them but am told I cook them brilliantly)
Gravy made with red wine, carrot water and stock.

I have a great recipe for a creamy dijon mustard sauce and mushrooms and bacon rolls to go with sprouts but OH has banned me from cooking or serving them :lol:

Pudding will probably be either

Christmas pudding with brandy butter and double cream

or

Apple crumble with fresh custard

I don't use any salt whatsover in my cooking. And none on the table. I like to let the flavour of the food do its thing :)

We don't generally have a starter either! No way could I fit a starter in with my Christmas dinner hahaha :lol:
We will have turkey, parsnips, sprouts, swede & carrots, mash with a few sweet pots mashed in too, stuffing and gravy! YUM
Then possibly ice cream for pudding as I usually cant fit anything in after and we all don't like mince pies or Xmas pudding! lol

Oh and don't forget the mustard and horse radish! yum I love that mixed up!

Don't even know where we're gonna be yet.
If we're at home for lunch i'll just do roast beef.

It's difficult for us this year - usually we'd be either with my parents or his, but just a week before due date that's not feasible, as both sets of parents live too far away. We don't invite them over as I don't think that sleepover guests a week before due date would be a clever idea (especially in the case of my parents who'd have to come over from Germany).

A turkey for just the two of us would be overkill, so we were talking of doing a nice beef joint (and mincing the left overs for yummy cottage pie) with all the trimmings.
Or maybe making a nice ham (but not last year's 6 kg monster ham which fed 8 people for 10 days and then still had leftovers which we sadly had to throw as it started to turn), getting a lot of nice cheeses in and doing it all very low key.

Part of me worries I might go into labour over Christmas, so I don't want to end up buying expensive food which we don't end up eating, but rather go for something which is relatively easy to prepare and might even wait for a couple of days longer before it is cooked.

It's going to be the weirdest christmas ever anyway.

Ok, i'm coming to your houses for dinner.

For some reason OH told his parents, my mum and my brother that we'd cook xmas dinner! In our miniscule kitchen and a house so small that was don't actually have ANY room for a table and chairs... so it'll be xmas dinner on a tray... haha

I'll probably share the cooking with OH,
I'm now tempted to do a starter, maybe soup.. hmm

then it'll be turkey, mash, yorkie puds, peas, sprouts, roast pots, pigs in blankets, carrots, cranberry sauce, erm... yeh

i'll make stollen and xmas cake too :) though i don't eat cake...

one year i had microwave vegetarian lasagne.. lol

actually it was a xmas dinner that broke me (stopped me being a veggie after 6 years)

I have no idea where we will be for xmas :lol:

I haven't thought about ours yet but I'll prob do...........

Starter
Homemade soup of some kind, maybe tattie soup yumyum!!! & Oatcakes/melba toast

Main
Chicken (maybe beef) with the usual......gravy, veg, yorkies, tatties :D

Pudding
Thinking of making something home-made, maybe black forest gateau, or just a tesco one :shhh: heehee!

Riley's menu.....

Starter
Milk
Main
Milk
Pudding

:lol:
Milk

MIL is coming up to do the cooking this year as the twins will only be a few weeks old and il prob still be struggling from having a section we usually have

starter=
home made chicken soup or pate or melon + raspberries

main=
turkey beef roasties carrots swede cabbage parsnips sprouts pigs in blankets stuffin yorkshire puds and gravy

pudding= xmas pud with rum sauce or strawberry cheesecake or choc gateaux

cheese board and crackers/ mince pies /

after dinner mints (usually thorntons)

:D

Well I have fun this year as Brian is due back on Christmas eve, so if he DOES get home we are cooking at home, if he gets stuck due to weather in Newfoundland, I will just turn up at my Dad's expecting to be fed :lol:

If I am cooking I will do....

Big pot of Scotch Broth
Brian will also cook his shrimp with lime and chilli (it is seriously lush! :) )

Then I usually do a small Turkey Crown and a big Roast Gammon - Brian isn't a fan of turkey, but I love it!!! And can I just point out it is never a dry meat if it is cooked properly.... always had that drummed into me by my Mum and it is soooo true!

Dessert will prob be clouttie Dumpling with cream for me, and custard ( :puke: ) for Brian and Arianna

im not sure what to cook this year as i really want to spend as much time with time with the kids as i can.i usually do turkey crown but might do something different this year.dunno what though.i want to do as little as possible . :rotfl: :rotfl:

Sherlock
Post subject: Re: Christmas day menu..

Starter depends. Maybe broccoli and stilton soup, maybe something involving smoked salmon. Not sure. I may even skip it this year.

Main course is never ever turkey. Can't be doing spending hours cooking a dry meat bird that is always too much on leftovers. So usually

Duck (home reared) and then served with

how do you cook your duck?ive often fancied trying to cook a duck i usually cheat and order it from the chinese

helsekia said:
how do you cook your duck?ive often fancied trying to cook a duck i usually cheat and order it from the chinese

Nothing fancy, as you would a chicken or turkey. Just in a spiked roasting tin so the fat drains off into it and I use the juices to baste it. I tend to cover it to start and then remove the foil so the skin goes really crispy.

Duck isn't a huge bird and doesn't serve masses of people. I find a large duck is plenty for 4 people. No leftovers. I'm not one to put lots of meat on a plate as I do lots of veg and other meats so its not needed.

Well last year we went round a friends house, although it was far from perfect as we were told to bring our own table, chairs, gas heater and contribution to alcohol (dont mind the contribution bit!) However, there were 10 people, it was organised chaos and i ended up helping the poor host out while all the others got pissed and enjoyed themselves. We were told that if we broke the expensive glasses we would have to pay for them! :shock: Incidently, we will be back in Spain for xmas this year and eating out with family (mine, not his thank god!) I love cooking and sped many hours in the kitchen but on xmas day i like to sit around and be waited on and relax with a nice glass of wine while everyone else runs around like headless "turkeys" :lol: I am hoping to spend as long as possible here in order to NOT have to go to his family over xmas time... i would gladly forfeit any presents just to not have to communicate with his father!!! :shakehead:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back