Wrong for siblings to share?

HappyAlice

Reaction score
I just wondered what your opinions were on siblings sharing a main present? My children this year (girl and boy, aged 5 and 8 ) are going to share a main present of a wii console. A couple of reasons why, 1) saving the expense of 2 big presents, 2) they will both want to play with the wii if only one of them got it it wouldn't be fair, and would be silly to get a wii each.
This is the first time they have shared a main present and i don't know how it is going to go down on xmas day. Neither are spoilt and are good at sharing but I can't help feeling guilty and mean also.
Is anyone else getting one main present for 2 children? Am I stingy? Is it right?

Hell no its not stingy hun, i bet they will be well chuffed with a Wii console :)
Like you said they will both play with it and it would be silly to get one each.

That seems perfectly good to me! How about getting them a game each as a seperate present, but ones that they could play together maybe??

thats a great joint gift!! me and oh r sharing a wii this year im sooo excited xxxx

A Wii console stingy??? i dont think so! If you have a couple of games which come with the Wii maybe split them up so they have 1 each to open... actually do they come with games? im a little behind the times! lol

I personally think its a great idea and will teach them the value of sharing things!

Claire x

I always get my littlest bro and sis a present to share. They are 10 and 12. They always want a computer game so they share and have no probs with that :)

Cameron and Ryan are getting a PS3 between them, they are ok with it as they know its too expensive to get just for themselves

i used to share presants with my sis wen we were younger
i dont think there is anything wrong with it

nah its not stingy i had a PS1 as a main prezzie to share with my sister (back when they were as popular as the wii's lol) and we never had a problem with sharing a main prezzie, we both got a couple of little things each, and we knew there was no way our parents could afford a massive present each.

we even ended putting some of our christmas money together to buy games for it :D

My lads usually share a main prezzie! They shared the Xbox then the 360, the PS2 etc etc because they will both play on it!? I usually get them seperate smaller prezzies each so they have them to open but yeh they love the "shared present" as its usually the best hahaha though this year they are getting bikes so seperate!

I think thats fine, because its a big present and its completely pointless buying two! It can be used together too, lots of games have 2 player settings which would be more fun than just playing alone

Thats a great idea hun,

My mum done that with us when we were younger some xmas,s and with big presents like you mention.

Moneys tight this yr for a lot of people so im sure your not the only one doing this.

My sister and i use to share main presents, i think its a lovely idea. we use to love getting something we could both use.

Sharing a big thing like that is fine!

I think I go one worse and sometimes make my DD share a big present for her christmas and birthday which is a week later... :oops:

Two years ago she wanted a bike from our local bike shop which was a bit pricey. I said if it was a joint one she could have it and she was fine about it. It will be the same this year as she wants a wii.

Mind you, I don't think she'll be as happy to do that when she is a teenager...... :shakehead:

I think its fine, my bro and i shared lots of big presents when we were kids, we realised we wouldnt have been able to have such expensive things each otherwise, we always had so many other presents to ourselves from friends and family to open that we never minded sharing one!

id deffinatly do the same when my girls are bigger.

When i was a child, me and my sdister shared main presents like tv for bed room, sega mega drive, video player ectectec. I think its quite normal.

HappyAlice said:
I just wondered what your opinions were on siblings sharing a main present? My children this year (girl and boy, aged 5 and 8 ) are going to share a main present of a wii console. A couple of reasons why, 1) saving the expense of 2 big presents, 2) they will both want to play with the wii if only one of them got it it wouldn't be fair, and would be silly to get a wii each.
This is the first time they have shared a main present and i don't know how it is going to go down on xmas day. Neither are spoilt and are good at sharing but I can't help feeling guilty and mean also.
Is anyone else getting one main present for 2 children? Am I stingy? Is it right?

It would be pointless getting two of these consoles and they both want a WII so id get them one to share. Might I add that the new Animal Crossing game (its called something like Go to the City) is supposed to be good and if you look on PLAY dot c o m they have it with the new "WII SPEAK" which enables the kids to interact with the characters by voice somehow.

They will be getting some other smaller presents/stocking fillers as well so they will have their individual presents to open. I think you will find that they spend MOST of the day if not all of it on the WII anyway! :D

Thanks everyone, feel loads better now, just wondering how to go about unwrapping - just let them both open it at the same time?
Ooo I'm excited now, me and my OH know nothing about Wiis, we've always had PS's.
I don't suppose anyone could give me any advice on the controller? The wii i have bought has one of those long things (looks like a white remote control) so i guess I need to buy another? Plus do I need to also get a couple of traditional looking controllers too? Same kind of shape as that used with PS :think:

I feel old and behind the times :lol:

Yeah just put both names on and let them open it together.

My boys will be sharing a wooden playhouse I think (Mason is probably a bit old for it so we'll get him a bit of extra stuff)
They are also sharing a "mega fort" build your own den thing and a colouring thing that plugs into the computer. then they'll have separate stocking filler type gifts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back