Would you stay at home if you could?

BabyMagic

Reaction score
What it says really, would you stay at home with your LO if you could (if you didn't have to worry about finances etc)? Or would you rather go back to work full/-part-time? Why?

Yes definately. I would love to stay at home with my baby, i feel i will miss so much whilst i am at work :(

If i could stay at home it would probably be until she goes to school and then i would probably need to at least take up a part time job.

Tough one, id of said until recently, stay at home all the time, and be a lady of leisure.

BUT, I need to get out of the house, I love DS dearly, but I need to work, I need to put my brain to use again, its turning to mush changing nappys and having coffee afternoons all the time, im used to a high pressure, high powered job... shouting at people all day :lol: I feel useless sat at home not providing for my little man - and ill be off on Mat leave soon enough again hopefully!!

Sooo, Part-Time ONLY for me. When DS Is like 9-10 months old.

I decided to stay at home and took a HUGE financial loss, i must say im more busier now than I ever have been with Ruby activities and such.

I'm going back part time 2-3 days a week. I will drop this to 2 days a week when were a bit more financially stable. I don't think I couldn't not work at all though - I would miss the people, the crack, the money and the job itself. I think I will appreciate Baillie more aswell when I'm not there 24/7.

Kim x x x x

I think I would still work even if we woujld be fine with me staying at home but thats just the kind of person I am. I like having my own time and doing things I enjoy without Finlay in tow.

I did two jobs right up until 36 week and he arrived at 37+1 so I like to be busy :D I also love my job so wouldn't give it up at all

I do stay at home, if i went back id lose money in childcare and tbh eben if i gained i wouldnt go back, I like being at home and taking care of the family. I lost way too much of stephens toddler years by sending him to nursery. So i have no regrets and enjoy my life with the children.

Thanks for you replies.

Maria - I am the same. I am sooo busy with LO that it just makes me wonder how I ever had time to work :rotfl:

CoreysMummy - I thought I would be like you. I thought I was a career woman, but now I am not quite sure. I have never felt as fullfilled as staying with LO. Having said that, I worry that I don't work for years I would need to start my career all over again. I loved working hard - staying in the office until late and always checking emails - but I wouldn't be able to commit myself in the same way anyway as then I wouldn't have any time for LO.

I haven't even left LO for longer than an hour at the time, so I just really don't know at the moment. In my heart I feel that I want to stay at home, but on the other hand I am thinking that maybe I should try working and see how I feel. My firm would also allow me to take a two year career break. Luckily, staying at home wouldn't mean that I would have to compromise financially.

I have enjoyed my maternity leave SOOOO much. I cannot believe how much fun I have with LO. We can travel freely, take it easy and have a relaxed life... Don't knowwwww :think:

Oh absolutely... but I live in Squiglet world where thats not possible :rotfl: :wall: :wall: Wish it were though :(

Yes - I stay home. We struggle financially but it's what I call 'the trap' to earn enough money to still have some left after paying for childcare I'd need to work full time, and that is not an option for me.

I love being home with my baby and here for my boys during the holidays. I worked part time until I had Toby and I hated not being able to take the kids to school in the morning. I love being here. It's what I had them for and if I gave up that time I think I'd be giving up the most special time of my life.

I do get fed up of being taken for granted, and it is hard when home and your family are your entire existence, but when I think about juggling work and home I am very grateful that I have the time to give whenever it is needed.

Besides - when Toby's asleep it is my slob out on the sofa hour, and I couldn't give that up!!!!

I'd love to be at home full time with my babies, but its just not an option for us. I earn about £300/£400 (I work part time) after childcare and travel and we just can't do without this money, even though its not a lot. We've cut back as much as we can, we don't spend a lot on food and I'm a real bargain hunter for gifts and baby clothes, we don't go on holiday etc - but we just can't do without this cash.

Maybe after baby no. 2 if OH gets a wee raise and we get more CB and CTC, but its looking unlikely, as then we'll have 2 to clothe, shoe and feed!

I loved being at home and was lucky that I was able to take a year off on maternity leave, and am praying that I can do this with no. 2 too.

Valentine Xxx

midna said:
maria1976 said:
I decided to stay at home and took a HUGE financial loss, i must say im more busier now than I ever have been with Ruby activities and such.

Me too ... going to work would feel like a break these days.. Ill stay with seed at home as long as I need too. When shes more independant of me ..self weans and sleeps through then I will return to work till then we will scrimp by mehehe..mabey when she starts school then. Perfect timing.

People always ask me if its hard working after having the kids... but I always say that its my break... At least my job gives me 20 minutes to actually be allowed to eat and drink something and the ability to go to the toilet without it being a team sport... :rotfl: :rotfl:

I'd have liked to stay at home till James was one. But, financially not an option. I think I make about 300 a month after childcare, and as Valentine says, we need that extra little bit! I do also like the fact I get a lunch hour at work and I'm very happy with James' childcare arrangements (and so is he!).

I don't REALLY have to go to back to work in that we could just about manage on just OH's salary, and at the moment I am dreading going back, but I am sure that when I get there I will be fine. I am lucky though as I love my job, can do 2 days, work 5 mins up the road and have parents and in laws to do a day of childcare each for free! If I was having to put Ella in childcare I wouldn't go back as I personally wouldn't want to leave her with strangers and I wouldn't really earn enough after paying for it to justify it.

It is so difficult though isn't it.

midna said:
Me too ... going to work would feel like a break these days.. Ill stay with seed at home as long as I need too. When shes more independant of me ..self weans and sleeps through then I will return to work till then we will scrimp by mehehe..mabey when she starts school then. Perfect timing.

Uni is my break atm, and i openly admit that is what it is, ok i "learn" but thats easier then looking after Tally and keeping her entertained.

I'm going to have to go back to work in June, maybe before as i dont think we'll be able to live without any extra income from me, i'm kinda looking ofrward to being out in social situations as me not mummy, but i know fundamentally i hate the idea of leaving her, even if it is only 2 days a week, plus whatever days i have to be at uni next year

When i was pregnant i thought i'd be aching to get back to work. I really loved working.
But the day she was born all that went out the window and i hate the thought of going back. At the mo i don't know if i have a job to go back to. And it may be the case where i have to go back, but i can't get her to stop breastfeeding anyway.

I don't know yet!

I seem to be rubbish at staying at home, but I feel rubbish at my job too... !!!!

debecca said:
I don't know yet!

I seem to be rubbish at staying at home, but I feel rubbish at my job too... !!!!

You aren't rubbish at either thing Rebecca!

I'm definitely going back in June. DH is changing shifts to 3 nghts a week and still be paid full time money so I can do 3 full days a week and we won't need childcare and still have a day off together on a Monday. :cheer: .

I need to get out the house as get a bit claustrophobic, I wish I could take her with me to work :lol: .

I went back to work when I had DS when he was 7 weeks old and I was sooo desperate to get back!

This time I had the same feelig for the first few weeks but I have settled down and really dont want to go back now. I loose alot of money on mat leave and am eating into my savings whilst im off so its just a matter of how long I can financially justify being off. My work would prob let me do less hours but the work i do really needs full time hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back