Would you report dodgy cashpoint that did this?!

*Star*

Reaction score
ATM's 'double your money' error

Crowds queued at a cash machine in Manchester which gave double the amount of cash requested.

Word spread quickly about the error at the machine at the BP garage on Barton Road in Stretford on Thursday.

The giveaway went on for about six hours before the fault was reported to Nationwide building society.

The firm said it was "disappointing" that no-one reported it earlier. Those who took extra cash may now have to pay it back.

The machine gave £60 every time it was asked for £30, but also gave away more cash in different multiples depending on the money requested.

It is disappointing some people were deliberately using the machine to take extra money

Nationwide

Some customers reportedly used several cards to withdraw money.

The Nationwide said it appeared the employee of a firm they use to top up the machine had loaded the notes in the wrong way.

A spokeswoman for the Nationwide said: "There was a problem. We are investigating what transactions took place.

"It is disappointing no one reported the matter earlier in the day when lots of people were aware and it is disappointing some people were deliberately using the machine to take extra money.

"Legally, recipients of payments made by mistakes are not entitled to benefit from it.

"We will reserve the right to contact people about the matter on an individual basis."

Probably. Banks are in such a state now that I'm in no doubt they probably will track these people down and make them pay the money back.

i think i would... mainly for the reason being that if it was a large amount... say 200 and you were given 400... not sure id be able to pay back when and if requested :rotfl:

honesty the best policy and all that :roll: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Not sure. But I wouldn't take anything I couldn't afford to pay back!!!

Yep I would report it as they can trace it back and ask for their money back. Also you might get a reward :D

I would because I know it would be too good to be true to be able to keep it!

Wasnt this quite a while ago now? I wouldnt tell em, call it a refund for all they've charged me in the past :wink: I think they'd struggle to reclaim the money tbh as they wouldnt be able to prove for certain who got what and it was technically their error. I'd probably max all my cards :oops: :rotfl: am I really bad im the only one who's said that they wouldnt tell em haha x

I be temped not to say anything but i am such a worry wart sometimes i probably would.

i prob wouldnt tell them but id prob be too nervous id get in trouble if i used it :rotfl:

:shakehead: Nope but the stinkers would prob take from you account the amended amount, TBH I wouldnt even cotton on I had been given extra money and not charged, I would assume that I had pressed the wrong button :lol:

happy_chick said:
Wasnt this quite a while ago now? I wouldnt tell em, call it a refund for all they've charged me in the past :wink: I think they'd struggle to reclaim the money tbh as they wouldnt be able to prove for certain who got what and it was technically their error. I'd probably max all my cards :oops: :rotfl: am I really bad im the only one who's said that they wouldnt tell em haha x

I have 2 normal accounts with Nationwide and 2 accounts with them offshore but for all the times they charged me bank charges (which i never reclaimed) I would be running home to grab my cards and press the "collect" button on the ATM. :rotfl:

I cannot see how they can prove who has had what... you could claim that you only received what you asked for. Mind you, you know what they are like... la la la solicitors letter, CCJ's, might even close your account down etc, i dont know if it would be worth it to be honest.

I bet the poor money refiller for the ATM got a tongue lashing though....

How they gonna prove it that all these people got double???? Maybe some people got more than double and some just got the amount the asked for!

nope id bleed it for all i could and then stash it incase they asked for it back, if not yayyy

would i fuck :shakehead:

sorry but theres no way they can find out who got what 'extra'
bollox to them anyway bout time a mistake of theirs benefited a few people rather than causes economic catastrophe :talkhand: rant over now

Could they prove you got double the amount though? :think:

With regard to your question, I wouldn't report anything to anyone, I'd take what I could, if I got found out then it's tough, I'd just have to pay it back! :lol:

There no a chance in hell that id tell them, call it retribution for all the sneeky underhand charges that they have had out of me all these years. Id take what i could and not give it a 2nd though. How are they going to prove you had double?

This actually happened to me a year or 2 back, i asked a cash machine for £10 and got £20, I just walked away and thought i must have pressed the wrong button, went and bought food and as i left the queue for this cash machine was huge!! Word really does spread fast.

I was tempted for a brief moment to go back and get more but i stuck with my extra £10 and i've never had to pay it back, didnt even cross my mind ot report it or how i would go about doing that

I would report it - my morals drive my OH mad lol. My honesty means too much to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back