Would you ask for a discount??

Jen & Her Men

Reaction score
Maybe its me just being cheeky but I believe that if you spend a big sum of money in a retail store, your entitled to ask for, and get, some sort of discount. I have worked in retail during Uni and i know that we did give 10% off to people spending large sums of money if they asked for it.

Yesterday I went to Mamas and Papas and finally got round to buying all the nursery stuff for James (he is in our room at mo but about to move) and spent a whopping £3200 (thanks to my dads inheritance i wouldnt have been able to afford it otherwise). I asked whether there was anything they could do on the price, baring in mind we have spend well over £1k previously on buggies, carseats etc, and that we are going to need to buy a double buggy etc. The assistant was v nice and that she was sure there was sommat they could do. Well in the end, all the manager would give me was £35 off for the delivery!! :shock: Once he had gone (he was a right tosser and didnt even look or speak to me, just put it into the till and mumbled to the assistant before going which i thought was v rude considering the amount we were spending) the assistant was v apologetic and said that it had happened the day before to another couple and they had called customer services to complain who had told them that they would give them some money back and to go back into store to get it. So this morning I called CS to tell them what had happened and the cowbag on the phone reckoned it was a policy of theirs not to give any discount. I didnt want to land the assistant in it so i didnt say anything about what she had said, but to me, it seems really off that I have spent the best part of £5k in that shop and was going to be spending more yet they dont feel it necessary to reward that loyalty. Grrrr. :twisted:

Am i being pregnant and unreasonable or do you guys agree?

I wouldn't have bought the stuff from there if they hadn't discounted it. I'm terrible for discounts.

Bought a 60th birthday diamond pendant yesterday for Jim's mum and negotiated over 10% off. Also bought £120 of clothes in a local independent 'cool clothes' shop and bartered them down to £100 on the nose - and they threw in a "Kid for Sale" badge for free! :rotfl:

Basically with the UK market being as it is at the moment, we buyers have all the power because a lot of people just aren't spending. Therefore a retailer will rather offer you a discount than lose your business. I would be tempted to take all your stuff back to a different store (Preston?) and demand a refund because you were told you could have a discount after purchasing and you never got it... blah blah. Playing hell usually works, they just want rid of you!!!

God, I'm terrible aren't I?

I always get free stuff thrown in! When I bought Henry I got 20 free bags cause I said I would buy him elsewhere if I couldn't have them (I was lying but they didn't know that!)

Write a letter to Mama's and Papas explaining and say you won't be spending any more money in their stores as you feeli like its not appreciated. You've got nothing to lose more than the price of a stamp and I find writing complainingletters is theraputic.... :rotfl:

Yeah if you feel like a rant go for it, making a big fuss does usually get you want you want, not that you should have to make afuss for good service, you have spent a LOT of money with them, they could give you a better disconut than that

I'd defo complain.

Although i'm rubbish at stuff like that i feel really cheeky asking for discount.

i wouldn't have bought it either :shakehead: :shakehead: i won't spend any large amount of money unless its discounted now.

i'd write a really strong letter of complaint about how rude you found the manager and the CS people too. then happen to mention how disappointed you were not to get a discount when you're such a loyal customer spending such a lot of money. you never know... :wink:

purple13 said:
i wouldn't have bought it either :shakehead: :shakehead: i won't spend any large amount of money unless its discounted now.

i'd write a really strong letter of complaint about how rude you found the manager and the CS people too. then happen to mention how disappointed you were not to get a discount when you're such a loyal customer spending such a lot of money. you never know... :wink:

Agree with this. At the very least it'll be therapeutic. What were you buying out of interest? Is it TOTALLY GORGE? :cheer:

bloomin heck i got 5 quid off for paying £30 in mother care so i should have thought you would have gotten more off, cancel it and go somewhere else i say :talkhand:

We we're a bit miffed in Babies R Us. We weren't spending as much as you, just travel cot, swing, odds and ends and travel system.

We had a voucher for £5 off if spending £150 or more on a travel system. The one we got had £100 off, down to £149.99. Well we tried to use the voucher as technically it was only a penny under, but they declined...I even offered the penny! Failing that, I asked if there were any extras we could get like raincover that could be classed as part of the travel system, but then manager said it was already included. Never mind we thought, worth the try....but got it home and raindcover was NOT included!! :evil:

Going back to your point, I have sen lots of baby places offering £5/£10/£15 off when just spending a smaller amount like £100-£200 so would really think they could have offered something for you!! Deffo write off, and emphasise (sp) on the attitude of the manager.

I'd have left all the stuff and told them they were just about to lose a 3K sale..

I would have walked and left it without a doubt...written a letter in complaint to Mamas and Papas and then spent my money at Mothercare or elsewhere

incidentally if you have time to travel have you been to the Mamas and Papas factory shop just outside Hudderfield? It was worth the trip for us. Also you could try spending the money in another Mamas and Papas store and see if you get discount there.

I think i would have taken my custom elsewhere as i would definately expect some sort of discount & also the manager sounds like a tosser so i wouldn't have given him my money!

Lucky james, bet its gunna look ace! X

I'd cancel the order hun, TBH they are taking the piss and M&P isnt all that, you are paying for a brand name, there is much better brands out their for the same or cheper prices but better quality.

I would say ''look I want to cancel my order as you are not giving me any kind of discount or incentive for the amount I am spending'' if they say ok cancel it, do it. Then try a different store or just order it all again online, that what I would do.

Also if your not to far away from Huddersfield I can tell you where their factory outlet is you might beable to get have the stuff from their at half the price!

pilkers said:
I'd have left all the stuff and told them they were just about to lose a 3K sale..

I would have walked and left it without a doubt...written a letter in complaint to Mamas and Papas and then spent my money at Mothercare or elsewhere

I'd have done the same. Thats a lot of cash to spend and you could take it elsewhere for sure.

Yeah I would complain big style. I got a cot from M&P and not only got about £30 knocked off it but I bartered free delivery and a free mattress and that was (after discounts) just over £100 worth.

The very LEAST I would have expected is a whole lot more than just free delivery - if I'd spent that I'd want a free Pliko pram thrown in!

I wrote a letter of complaint to them about the shambles that was delivery (was told I would get my cot in 3-4 working days, it took 6 weeks) and they came up trumps with apologies (they offered to refund me the delivery until they found out I hadn't paid for it :roll: ).

I'd write a letter like the others said and either put copy of the receipts or at least mention that you have them so they don't think you are just trying to get something for nothing. I guess you could also say that with number 2 on the way you will be shopping elsewhere. SO rude!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back