Would you buy a pump second hand?

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Tigger87, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Tigger87

Tigger87 Well-Known Member

First time mum here with limited experience! I want to buy a medela swing on recommendation from my mum, they're £100 brand new, about £45 second hand on eBay.

We're on a budget but we could afford new if that was the best choice - is it worth getting them second hand or is that too yucky?

And what else do I need to buy, sterilisation wise?

I don't even plan on feeding expressed milk that much, I just prefer the idea of an electric, I can hopefully build up some extra "just in case" stores then.

Also, if second hand are actually ok, I can sell it on after! I'm trying to get the "big" costs out of the way before my wages go down on maternity leave, so that I don't notice the dent to the savings after if that makes sense :)

2. katey123

katey123 Well-Known Member

Second hand is fine, I've brought second hand and sold on again when I've finish, never had a electric one mine . Second time around bottles are fine too but I always buy new teats and dummy's though .Good luck hun. xx

3. Mrs CW

Mrs CW Well-Known Member

You can borrow pumps while in the hospital so second hand is fine. I will say that I have seen Tesco reduce the Medula pumps to half price. It's not often and I haven't seen it recently (I haven't looked though) but it's worth a look x

4. Mum2betash

Mum2betash Well-Known Member

I've had a second hand one. As long as you clean it and sterilise it before you use it.. We had a bottle steriliser for ours though hardly used it. It was quite expensive but we bought it with vouchers we were given for our wedding. Good luck xx

5. vinandbella

vinandbella Well-Known Member

I bought a second hand one :) washed and sterilised all good :)

Sent from my new shiny iPhone using Tapatalk

6. beckyboo1

beckyboo1 Well-Known Member

I had a second merely swing and it was fine- I just washed all the bits that came off in hot soapy water then sterilised them xx

7. BevG

BevG Well-Known Member

i bought a 2nd hand electric one off ebay, sterilised it in a tub of milton after i got it

8. tweetyfoo

tweetyfoo Well-Known Member