would u let ur children call you by your name!!??

Sweetcheeks24 said:
I called my Mam by her first name and called my Nana ... Mam :lol: until I was about 7. I was just used to hearing everyone called my Nana Mam and my Mam by her name as we lived with my Nana. Wasn't about respect :?

I would hope Jack calls me Mam but if not it's not a massive deal.

that why kie calls me mary because we lived with my parents until he was 12

I am mummy...have always been called so as I refer to myself as mummy.... but it doesn't bother me if Tia calls me by my name... she knows though that I hate my names (regardless of who calls me what :rotfl:), and I get called different things by so many different people...that mummy is a tad less confusing. :rotfl: I don't think its disrespectful tbh.... attitudes and behaviour are disrespectful.

My mother however, goes loopy if I call her by her name...but shes so airy fairy sometimes, when we are out and about, I have to shout her name in order to get her attention... :roll:

Lydia started off my called me mam/mama, but then went through a phase of calling me Nat but I kept 'correcting' her so she went back to calling me mama.

It just made me cringe to hear her call me by my name.

I don't mind really, I think manners matter - but my name isn't rude. I will/do probably call myself Mummy to her. If she always calls me mum then as she enters her teenage years I'd let her know she 'could' use my name if she wanted to; but not earlier because I don't want to encourage her into something that might set her aside at school.

I'd rather hear my name respectfully than Mummy shouted rudely - although I don't doubt I'll hear Mummy shouted now and again. I think good manners and respect is about kindness not titles, I don't think kindness can be taught much either unless kids see it used to them and other folk. That's just my take on it.

I don't know how I feel about this. I'd like to be called mummy, but I suppose everyone else calls me by my name so why shouldn't she?

I much prefer mummy. Sometimes they call me by my name when I have friends over who call me by my name, but generally it's mummy.

I took my mum to a spa weekend with a group of Mother and Toddler friends a couple of years ago, it was for Mothers Day. I kept introducing her to everybody as 'my mum' and she pulled me to one side and said 'I do have a name you know!' It didn't even occur to me! :oops: She's always been Mum to me :lol: :lol:

I want to be called mummy or mama. I've never had a problem calling my mum, mum or mummy when I was a little girl. Even Chris doesnt use my name, if he's talking to Chester he'll call me mummy and if he's talking to me he always uses 'pet' names like darlin or sometimes clo (my name is Chloe).

We had problems with the grandparents names tho cus Chris's mum is already a nana to Chesters cousin and my mum couldnt decide on what she wanted to be called so in the end we went for nana-tracy-island!!! (long story but her name is Tracy).

I want to be called mummy or mama. I've never had a problem calling my mum, mum or mummy when I was a little girl. Even Chris doesnt use my name, if he's talking to Chester he'll call me mummy and if he's talking to me he always uses 'pet' names like darlin or sometimes clo (my name is Chloe).

We had problems with the grandparents names tho cus Chris's mum is already a nana to Chesters cousin and my mum couldnt decide on what she wanted to be called so in the end we went for nana-tracy-island!!! (long story but her name is Tracy).

We discussed this whilst TTC and I personally would prefer to be called by my first name, OH is happy to be called by his first name too. It isn't because I want to be trendy or cool, it's just because I think it would be an easier adjustment to motherhood for me. The Grandparents can be called whatever they want to be called - it's up to them.

However if, the sprog wants to call us Mum and Dad then, I guess I will just have to get used to it. I suspect it will be a mixture in the end.

I have to admit that I have encountered negative criticism whenever I've voiced this opinion to friends and other relatives which I find a bit bizarre. I mean, it isn't as though I'm trying to get all parents everywhere to follow suit. It's just a personal thing for our family :D

Mildly said:
It isn't because I want to be trendy or cool, it's just because I think it would be an easier adjustment to motherhood for me.

:wink: IMO by the time baby starts talking you will have already adjusted to being a mum :lol:

i personally wouldn't like it if mine were to call me by my first name.
I like being mummy. Except when im being called it at the same time by all 4 then i scream '' IM CHANGING MY NAME I AM'' :lol:

I'm a firm believer in "mum" over name - same with dad and grandparents.

I had this debate with OH before Sprog was born with regards grandparents - he'd always called his Grandma _______, Grandad _______, whereas I don't think I realised my grandparents had 'proper' names until the end of primary school! :oops:

Goodness no! Luke will always call us Mummy/Daddy/Mum/Dad ...

I didn't vote for either on the poll, because although I would prefer Connie to call me Mum, if she started to call me by my real name I wouldn't object.

When I was 4 years old, I overheard my grandparents refer to my mum as Sheila, and wondered why she had a different name for them than she did for me. From that day forward I always called her Sheila.

You would not BELIEVE how rude people are when they hear you call your mum by her first name... people can be downright judgemental. Which is unfair on my mum as I started the whole business and I was the sort of child who was very decisive and stubborn so I doubt there was much she could do about the situation!

Of course once I started calling her Sheila my little brother picked it up too...

Anyway I don't know what the point of this is, I guess to say that the child should have some say too.

rhian85 said:
mrs_tommo22 said:
Hmmff - I cerainly wont let either of my two call me Sarah, im mummy to stephen and mama to imogen. The day they call me Sarah there both in trouble! :)
Stephen has copied tommo when hes calling me Sarah and i dont mind that because hes just being a wally, but what do the kids get from calling their parents their real names?

I think my kids addressing me as mummy sets me back from other people in his life.And its respectful too.

very good answer..and i aree with ur everyword...i was fairly shocked when she told me this as she is very very respectable woman. id never dream of letting Christopher call us anything other than mummy/daddy or his grandparents granny/grandad for example.

I don't think it's a question of respect. I called my mum Sheila and had the utmost respect for her from childhood right through to the day she died. She was also my best friend. Yet some of my friends who called their mothers "mum" were so rude to them!

budge said:
i personally wouldn't like it if mine were to call me by my first name.
I like being mummy. Except when im being called it at the same time by all 4 then i scream '' IM CHANGING MY NAME I AM'' :lol:

lol my mum used to say that to me and my sister

i think thats why i don't mind it if Seren calls me Shona sometimes, makes a change from "mummy" 500 times a day

I haven't voted but personally I think I'd prefer my children to call me Mum/Mummy and Dad/Daddy, but I don't think it's a terrible thing if children call their parents by their name as it is their name afterall, just socially if they say Mummy or Daddy its less confusing for everyone else. My best friends LO called her by her name for ages in the beginning, it didn't harm anyone and he now calls her Mum :) I would find it odd to hear but certainly wouldn't see it as a negative thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back