Rude Opinions about Baby Name Choices

KarolinaMoon

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced other people's not so nice reactions/opinions about your baby name choice/choices? My OH and I have stopped telling people our chosen names when they ask the now dreaded question 'so any baby names picked yet?', just to save us the awkwardness and rage that sometimes follows when the person's reaction is not positive!!

My OH's sister asked him over the phone about names, and my OH told her what name we had chosen...her reaction was 'ewhhhhh you can't call her that'...
Loads of people have told us they love our name choice, which is nice and encouraging. I just don't see why people have to share their dislike of our chosen name with us, esp when we havent asked!!

Needless to say, the name we have chosen has stuck regardless of my SIL's rude opinion, and if anything it has made me love the name more than ever lol :D

My SIL has been a bit weird lately anyway, texting my OH about what she would like our daughter to call her!! The weird thing is that in her text she said that she didnt want to be called 'auntie cat' (which is her name shortened), and for some reason mentioned me in the text saying that she couldnt be called auntie 'caz' either because that is my name!! Even though she has a different name to me!!

So I think there may be some kind of bizarre 'issues' involved in it all!! :shakehead::roll:

xxx

That sounds very strange. Don't let it bother you, she seems to have a bit of an issue with the whole thing at the moment. I'm sure she likes the name and if not will grow to like it. It's your baby, it doesn't matter what she thinks and I'm so glad you've not let it sway you at all!
My OH and I are telling people we have names chosen (if they ask), but that we're not sharing them until the baby's here.
If you don't mind me asking what is the name, if you don't mind saying it here. Totally understand if you do of course :)

Yes there definitely seem to be issues with the SIL - maybe she's jealous?? Does he have/want children??
People never cease to amaze me where babies ad pregnancy are concerned - for some reason every Tom, Dick and Harry think they have a right to have an opinion on your personal life - mind your own business ffs! I wouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks, if you love the name you have picked stick with it :)

Tell me about it! I had an awful reaction from my mother in law, and then she kept throwing names at us, but NO I am not taking names from her because DH and I have already decided :D I really hate when people want to choose the baby's name, it's not going to happen.

Maybe your sister in law might be jealous? There is probably some underlying issue there, but ignore it and enjoy your pregnancy :)

Yes there definitely seem to be issues with the SIL - maybe she's jealous?? Does he have/want children??
People never cease to amaze me where babies ad pregnancy are concerned - for some reason every Tom, Dick and Harry think they have a right to have an opinion on your personal life - mind your own business ffs! I wouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks, if you love the name you have picked stick with it :)

Agreed! It is so annoying :roll:

Has anyone else experienced other people's not so nice reactions/opinions about your baby name choice/choices? My OH and I have stopped telling people our chosen names when they ask the now dreaded question 'so any baby names picked yet?', just to save us the awkwardness and rage that sometimes follows when the person's reaction is not positive!!

My OH's sister asked him over the phone about names, and my OH told her what name we had chosen...her reaction was 'ewhhhhh you can't call her that'...
Loads of people have told us they love our name choice, which is nice and encouraging. I just don't see why people have to share their dislike of our chosen name with us, esp when we havent asked!!

Needless to say, the name we have chosen has stuck regardless of my SIL's rude opinion, and if anything it has made me love the name more than ever lol :D

My SIL has been a bit weird lately anyway, texting my OH about what she would like our daughter to call her!! The weird thing is that in her text she said that she didnt want to be called 'auntie cat' (which is her name shortened), and for some reason mentioned me in the text saying that she couldnt be called auntie 'caz' either because that is my name!! Even though she has a different name to me!!

So I think there may be some kind of bizarre 'issues' involved in it all!! :shakehead::roll:

xxx

My SIL is like this..

We've picked Nixon-James for our little boy, and you tell some people and they;re like "oh.. Okay, it's different"....
I personally LOVE it, and OH loves it too and I think thats all that matters!

SIL keeps saying "what about Theo, or Jamie, or this, or this"
And I'm like no!? I picked an unusual name because I like them, I don't want to name my son the suggestions you've said!

It's always the way, you find a name you like, and people are like "no" or they or youself knows someone called that name who's an utter knob! So it puts you off lol!!

People just don't appreciate what people like to call their LO's.

What name have you chosen, or are you keeping schtum? xxx

I hate when people comment on the name thing, its not there child so why they feel the need to comment i dont know, if i was having a girl she was going to be called halle allisiya (al-lis-ea) but everyone disliked halle and said i couldnt have allisiya because it was to much like elise which is my first born, then people arent keen on leo which is what where calling our lb, i just say well its my child my choice. If you did it to them they wouldnt like it so why do they do it to other people is just stupid... Hmmm you sister in law sounds weird if her name isnt caz then why the bloody hell would anyone call her auntie caz, i think when people talk to a pregnant woman they feel like they can say anything they want especially family!! Xx

Glad to hear it's not just me, I thought maybe I was being over sensitive or something!! lol
Yes I definitely think there is some kind of issue with SIL....I also emailed her my 20 wk scan pic a while back, and she didn't say boo to it, not a single comment or anything. When my OH asked if she has got it, she said yes, and made some lame excuse about not replying to my email...
The problem may be something to do with her own relationship problems, she was married for about a year, but they went their separate ways. She has always stated that she will never have any children....
I did think maybe she was a bit jealous....the text she sent my OH was just weird, and even he said it was bizarre, and why did she have to mention me in it!!!
The name I have chosen is Lana Hope (Hope as a middle name, not part of first name). I know its a bit different and old fashioned, but my OH and I love it. :).
I dont mind people giving me their opinion if I have asked what they think of the name, but it just annoys the hell outta me when their extreme opinion/reaction is unasked for.....if I didnt like someones name choice, I would keep my opinion to myself!!

At the end of the day, everyone is different, with different likes, dislikes etc......would be a bad state of affairs if everyone chose the same names for their children!!! xx

LOVELY NAME!!!!

It sounds like ur SIL is just jealous!

Last edited:
Well I think that's a really pretty name, so sod what she thinks!! Xx

I have had a few funny looks when I say kaiden but I couldn't care less, I love it and that's all that matters to me xx

Jealousy is not an attractive quality!!!

Funnily enoughI have one the same. Full of opinions.

Since we found out we are having a girl, people have said they hated our choice of boys name (Dexter). Well too bad - cause if I was to ever to have a boy that would be the name we would go with! We both loved it. Hence why we picked it.

Some people are just rude!!
xx

that is so rude!! I dont think anyone should change their choice of name just because a friend or relative doesnt happen to like it!! It really annoys me, at the end of the day its not just a name but a child, it almost seems cruel that people should comment so negatively on a child's name before he/she is even born!!!! xxx

That's a lovely name hun and not old fashioned at all. You call your little girl what you like :)

Love the name youve picked, its lovely..
I never really said what i was gonna call my LO as at work someof my suggestions were " eww" or " dont like that"
It got to the point where one woman said she hated all my names so i turned round and said i hated her boys names and she shh after that. blimmmin hormones lol x

Karolina I LOVE that name it's SOOO cute, but lush at the same time :D.

F what anyone thinks ;) espesh your SIL.

They're all just jealous :p xxx

[QUOTE]that is so rude!! I dont think anyone should change their choice of name just because a friend or relative doesnt happen to like it!! It really annoys me, at the end of the day its not just a name but a child, it almost seems cruel that people should comment so negatively on a child's name before he/she is even born!!!! xxx[/QUOTE]

Exactly. She is your daughter, why would anyone be so thoughtless. I actually defended our choice then thought, hang on a minute - GTF!!!! Makes me mad! haha. Dam hormones :) xxx

My answer to people who ask now is, 'we have a list of names but havent decided for certain yet'.
I made the mistake of telling my MIL some of our names on the list, and she was going round telling people the name she 'thought' we had chosen!!!! grrrrrrrr....

I like the name :) it is different but in a nice way!
I had the reaction 'it's different' to our choice of name and the name is Lucy Mollie. How is that 'different' in a negative way?! People just are so set in their own ways sometimes that anything out of the norm is seen as a negative!x

when people ask me about names I just say not got any yet lol ! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back