Work rant!

mouse9210

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I just have to have a rant on here because I am actually about to scream!!

I started a new job back in Jan, in a school, and my two colleagues are just so vile to me it's really getting me down. They have never liked me, in the past they have lied to my boss to say I wasn't doing my job when I had been (they said I hadn't been on duty when I actually had, and they had even seen me!) so I had to explain myself to my boss.

Then they make snide comments all the time to me, about how I am a princess and spoiled - which I am not!! This all started after I drove my husbands car into work because mine was having an MOT done. He has a nice convertible, but it's not a flippin ferrari or anything like that at all!!! And I didn't say anything about the car, but they saw me in it and then they commented on it.

They are the most self absorbed people I have ever met, never ask any questions, just moan about their lives/lack of money/ex husbands etc... but I always listen to them and are nice to them.

Anyways, just before half term, on the last day, there was a raffle at school and I won - I never win anything so I was dead excited - turned out the prize was a big cake - perfect cuz I love cake! And what did one of my colleagues say to me when she heard I won? "If you eat that you'll be fatter than you already are"!!!

So I had half term, but then got really sick and ended up taking last week off work. It was a scary time because my baby stopped moving as much and I had to count movements etc.

Went back to work today, and was literally ignored all day. They pulled faces when I sat with them. And my boss gave me loads of work to do because "the other two had a busy week last week covering you"

My boss doesn't seem to think I need any allowance made for me 'just because I am pregnant' or that's the impression she gives me. Basically I work as an unqualified teacher, so I deliver cover lessons when teachers are away - so I am in a different room every lesson, and between lessons have to carry my handbag and laptop. Which is becoming more difficult the worse my back gets.

I just feel like I am not being treated fairly but I don't know what to do. I only have another 5 weeks to go and then I'm off on summer holidays so I know I just have to hang in, but it really got to me today and I am dreading work again tomorrow.

Sorry to be such a moaner, but I just had to have a big grrrrrrrrr!!

x

:hugs: They sound awful!

I think that's the trouble working in schools it can be very bitchy etc, somebodys always got to be gossiping about somebody else.

Just think 25 more school days and you'll be leaving ;) xx

Bless you hun, it all sound so unpleasent for you.... I hope you can get through the rest of the term and be able to focus on the fact that you will have a lovely little baby and perfect family unit around you.

Sorry I cannot be of much help in terms of suggesting anything but I just hope that the two ladies and your boss realise how unfair and nasty they are being towards you xx

I hate the atmosphere in some schools, honestly. There's just something about them that makes everyone despise each other, if they're not bitching about one person it's another.
You should not be putting up with this, it is harrassment, whether or not your boss perceives it that way. You should have had a risk assessment done, and carrying resources around school should not be one of your responsibilities anymore. My HT was happy for my to ask a couple of kids to help me with my stuff, and that was even with my own classroom!
Cover supervisors (in my opinion) are taken for a ride anyway, and are not respected for doing a difficult job. Supply Teachers, similarly, are not respected for doing a difficult job. Unfortunately sometimes you have to grin and bear it. This, however, is not one of those times.
What kind of contract are you on? If it's worth your while (ie going back after baby) I would discuss the issues in a letter to your headteacher. Be firm and say that while you are pregnant you should not be having double responsibilities, you are entitled to time off for appointments, and if you are ill then it is of utmost importance that you recover for the health of your baby.
You may find your reduced movement is linked to stress, this was pointed out to me on one of my hospital visits for the same reason. I feel a lot better this week, I'm off work and taking it easy, bubs seems much more content now.

Look after yourself and baby and do not allow this harassment to spoil your pregnancy xx

Sounds like they are the ones that need to be in the playground!! So sorry that you are being treated this way.

Is there anyone else that you could speak to about this, or raise the matter again with your boss stating that if its not dealt with properly that you'll follow up with a formal complaint.

I too am struggling at work as you might have seen so I can fully sympathise. These stupid ladies sound like they are just jealous, you could try and tackle each individually to see what their issues are, or even both at the same time.

I really feel for you and hope that you can get it resolved soon xxx

sorry u being treated like this hope the 5 weeks go fast x

I hate the atmosphere in some schools, honestly. There's just something about them that makes everyone despise each other, if they're not bitching about one person it's another.
You should not be putting up with this, it is harrassment, whether or not your boss perceives it that way. You should have had a risk assessment done, and carrying resources around school should not be one of your responsibilities anymore. My HT was happy for my to ask a couple of kids to help me with my stuff, and that was even with my own classroom!
Cover supervisors (in my opinion) are taken for a ride anyway, and are not respected for doing a difficult job. Supply Teachers, similarly, are not respected for doing a difficult job. Unfortunately sometimes you have to grin and bear it. This, however, is not one of those times.
What kind of contract are you on? If it's worth your while (ie going back after baby) I would discuss the issues in a letter to your headteacher. Be firm and say that while you are pregnant you should not be having double responsibilities, you are entitled to time off for appointments, and if you are ill then it is of utmost importance that you recover for the health of your baby.
You may find your reduced movement is linked to stress, this was pointed out to me on one of my hospital visits for the same reason. I feel a lot better this week, I'm off work and taking it easy, bubs seems much more content now.

Look after yourself and baby and do not allow this harassment to spoil your pregnancy xx

Thanks Leesey, I try to stay positive and I am either friendly or just keep to myself, but it feels so lonely sometimes and I know I am easy enough to get on with so I just don't get it.

I hate the bitchiness of schools, I don't get why people can't just be civil to each other.

I had a risk assessment done a while ago, but nothing was said about carrying my laptop around. They did change my break duty to an quieter area so I don't get bumped or knocked, but doing break duty means I work from 8:30-1:20 without a break on Mondays. To be fair some lessons I am sitting down a lot but others I am up and explaining things and running the lesson - so I don't get a chnace to sit down.

We get given our timetables first thing in the morning for each day - today I was supposed to be free last lesson which would have been great - could sit in the staffroom and catch up on admin stuff - but at the last minute my boss asked me to join one of the horrid women (I call them the witches) in the lesson she was covering to help out because 'she had to cover you while you were away last week' - as if I should be making up for being sick by working extra hard this week?!!!

The other thing is the summer term is supposed to end on a Monday but the school decided to end it on the Friday, which does make sense - but we all have to work up an extra 6 hours to make up for this one day. I asked if I could just have my pay docked by one day but they said no. So I am expected to work up 6 hours of overtime by the end of term. I am not planning on doing it - the last thing I feel up to is coming in early or staying late - esp with the way they are treating me - but I do fully expect for them to give me a bollocking at some point for this.

Thank you for your support - I love my job when I am in the classroom - it just the bits in between that are getting to me! The kids are great!!

My contract is for one year - so on 1st Jan they may or may not renew it. I only get Maternity Allowance and am taking from my due date til May on maternity - to give me time to enjoy being a mum and to decide what to do.

To be honest, I feel like like signing myself off sick as and when I want - because like you say, I don't want to stress the baby - she is everything to me!

x

Sounds like they are the ones that need to be in the playground!! So sorry that you are being treated this way.

Is there anyone else that you could speak to about this, or raise the matter again with your boss stating that if its not dealt with properly that you'll follow up with a formal complaint.

I too am struggling at work as you might have seen so I can fully sympathise. These stupid ladies sound like they are just jealous, you could try and tackle each individually to see what their issues are, or even both at the same time.

I really feel for you and hope that you can get it resolved soon xxx

I saw your thread - I feel a bit silly to be moaning about this when you've got such serious issues with your work - your boss is an arse btw!!

I feel so uncomfortable at work, and am crap at confrontation so really don't feel like I want to raise it with my boss - I know I should.

This is going to sound really horrible, but the women are really rough and always up for a fight - they are a little scary and I am just trying to lie low and not make a target of myself!

I'm trying to think of what's best for you and bubs here, so don't shoot the messenger please!!

IF you are just getting maternity allowance (I'm assuming because you hadn't worked the 26 weeks before your qualifying week) and you are taking this til May, you won't actually be going back to this job unless they renew your contract?
Do you feel they will actually renew your contract based on your boss's attitude? Is it up to the HT or is it someone else who decides whether or not to renew?

Basically what I'm getting at, is it worth the stress that it's putting you and bubs through, if you're not even going to be going back after baby's born? Can you go off on sick until the holidays (your doctor will be able to verify how stressed you are, and midwife will know this could be a reason for reduced movement) and then just leave once you start claiming your maternity allowance? Because they're not paying you SMP you have no reason to stay with them.

Please look after yourself xx

I won't shoot you down Leesey! I really appreciate the support and help! :) Esp cuz you know what schools are like.

I know exactly what you mean and I hate the thought of stressing my baby out - I do a lot of visualisation through the day actually...it sounds silly but I imagine I am in the bubble of positivity that keeps me and my baby happy!

My plan is to apply for the GTP so I can do my training there - I want to be a teacher and thought the best way to get through the application process was to get some good experience. So yeah, I was planning on going back there next year - I would carry on as cover supervisor from May to July...then summer holiday and start GTP in Sept. But of course it may not happen if they don't renew my contract, or if I am unsuccessful at applying for the GTP. I don't know who would make the decision to renew or not.

So I wanted to leave the summer term on good terms with the boss really....

I don't feel like I have many options, I 'should' make a complaint, but with just 5 weeks to go I feel that maybe staying quiet is better. If the stress gets too much, then like you say I will just sign myself off or get my doctor to sign me off.

I think if you feel you can not speak with your line manager I would get signed off for stress because these people are bullying you. They have no right to comment on you and report incorrect information to your boss. Did your boss even follow this up with the ladies concerned? Really sorry you are having o go through this but if you don't like confrontation and can't see things improving get out and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy stress free. xxx

I think if you feel you can not speak with your line manager I would get signed off for stress because these people are bullying you. They have no right to comment on you and report incorrect information to your boss. Did your boss even follow this up with the ladies concerned? Really sorry you are having o go through this but if you don't like confrontation and can't see things improving get out and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy stress free. xxx

Thanks Tara :)

No I don't think she did follow it up - the witches went to her and complained, then my boss called me in and started off with 'where were you this morning?' which completely threw me because I had been exactly where I should be! I was so shocked, I did manage to say that I was on duty and then she finished the conversation....I was completely taken by surprise, it was on a Friday so I just wanted to go home and forget it and have a cry.

I had got in trouble a few weeks before because I had been doing a board display (which is quite fun!) - and had worked through my lunch to finish it. I had been completely happy to do this, it was my decision to do so and I didn't tell anyone I did this either...but the again the witches had gone to my boss saying I wasn't in the staffroom at lunchtime (they were stirring because they don't even usually talk to me at lunchtime, but were pretending to care) so again my boss called me in and asked where I was, and when I told her I got a bollocking for 'unauthorised overtime'!!!!

Those are the main things, but then its just daily bitchiness and unhelpfulness.

Sorry to go on, but just remembered another incident - I was to invigilate an exam a few weeks ago, I'd never done it before so I asked them what do I do - and they said I have to stand for the full 2 1/2 hours, I am not allowed to sit down or take a toilet break, so I got myself into a right state worrying and thinking there is no way I can last more than an hour without peeing!! When I got the the exam the other invigilators were lovely, said I could go to the toilet whenever I wanted and got me a chair and said I could sit whenever I want. They do that all the time, give me false info - bitches!

I want to come to your work place and slap them. I have a dose of pregnancy anger today and they just sound so horrid. Why are some women so mean to other women?! I always put it down to jealousy because there really is no need!! You definitely need to treat yourself to take your mind off of these cretins xx

I want to come to your work place and slap them. I have a dose of pregnancy anger today and they just sound so horrid. Why are some women so mean to other women?! I always put it down to jealousy because there really is no need!! You definitely need to treat yourself to take your mind off of these cretins xx

Ahh Tara you're so lovely!!! Thank you :)

I feel better for getting the support on here, and my husband is great too.

Sometimes I think it's made worse by the massive contrast between work and home - work is so bad and then home is so amazing...am going to have a little play with my new buggy - arrived at the weekend - to cheer myself up! Oh and eat chocolate cake too!

Hahaha good for you, I love chocolate cake and very jealous you can gaze at your buggy and push it around. Mine is locked away at my mums. xx

Is it sad that I put a baby grow in the buggy to imagine the size of my baby in there?!

Oh no - shouldn't admit this sort of thing!! :)

Oh thank goodness I'm not the only one - thought for a minute there that work had actually driven me round the twist!!

I have also been practicing putting the buggy up and down, taking car seat/moses basket on and off! What a loser lol! :)

I'd join a union then submit a formal grievance and shit the lot of them up. You deserve to be treated with respect, you shouldn't have to demand it xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back