Winding babies - when to stop.

HopesDreams

Reaction score
O is 16 weeks now. In the past he has had trouble with trapped wind - even when being fed upright, winding every 1-2oz & keeping him upright for 30 mins after feeding. Fennel tea has helped, a lot. We only have a "blip" once in a blue moon now.
Recently, especially over this last week, I'm really struggling to get him to bring up any wind. Tonight, for instance, he had his 6oz bedtime bottle & i got absolutely nothing. I'm now worried he's going to wake in a while in a state. At what point did you all stop winding? Is him not bringing up much wind (if any at all) when being winded a sign that he's sorting it himself?

Ill be stalking this thread...JJ hardly burps now and it's head to ascertain if he hasn't got wind or if i havent brought it up for him! xx

I was going to write a similar post earlier! Ethan is 10 months now and only has two bottles a day now and I still wind him after his bedtime bottle but just out of habit. I read that the guidelines of when to stop winding them is when they can sit up unaided and they start weaning so I'm guessing around the 6 month mark? But all babies are different, so if you find he brings the wind up himself or doesn't seem to have wind you don't have to do it anymore xx

I still wind after each bottle and he's 9.5 months, think its habit though! Xx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He can't sit up unaided yet & he's still just on bottles. I wind for 10 mins at least after a bottle & he gets winded at least every 2oz (a few pats & he used to burp automatically). Any longer than 10 mins & people say winding is futile. he's not breaking wind or burping by himself so where the hell has it gone?! Such a ridiculous thread to create but it has me stumped. :)

I stopped winding Jack at about 12 weeks BUT he never burped after a feed he farted it out!! lol. Even now he's 2 he hardly ever burps.

Harry had bad colic until he was 7 weeks so i had to give him a right good bashing and make sure he burped or we'd be in trouble. Now he still gets winded but only half heartedly because he usually brings a burp up on his own. I'll probably stop in the next few weeks, he's 19 weeks now x

Rather than trying to burp him yourself, how about carrying him around for a little while after a feed to try and encourage him to bring it up himself? My son likes being held upright, facing me with his chest against mine and his head peering over my shoulder. After a feed I will carry him around like this talking or singing to him and generally if he has something to bring up, it comes out of it's own accord! I also sit him upright on my lap with his back to me and my arm around his waist to hold him up. He will happily let out a belch in this position!

He can't sit up unaided yet & he's still just on bottles. I wind for 10 mins at least after a bottle & he gets winded at least every 2oz (a few pats & he used to burp automatically). Any longer than 10 mins & people say winding is futile. he's not breaking wind or burping by himself so where the hell has it gone?! Such a ridiculous thread to create but it has me stumped. :)

Just thought, maybe he's silent but deadly with the old botty burps!

James burps himself lol!

I just give him a quick cuddle [him sitting up though] after a bottle and he'll always have a burp.

xxxx

Possibly littlemonkey! I'll try walking him around tomorrow & see what happens. Anything is worth a go. Maybe he doesn't need winded as much anymore but I'm scared of him being in pain.

I'm not sure...

Cay's six months now, and weaning. He has only two bottles a day.
I haven't winded him in like, three months though...

He stopped burping whist I was winding him. 10-15 minutes of rubbing, patting, sitting and rocking forward... None of it worked, so I gave up.

About, three or four times over the next week or so he'd get really fussy, I'd pick him up, and a huge burp would rattle out.
Since then, he seems to just burp when he wants. Xx

I just stopped when B was burping himself. Also I read that once they sit unaided you don't need to do it anymore.

Freya is 7 1/2 months and I still wind her after her bottles. if I hold her upright long enough it'll come up by itself though. Maybe it's just habit, I haven't tried not doing it yet xx

I only burp Toby if he's having milk before he goes for a sleep. Purely as I know if I don't he'll wake up yelling as he's uncomfortable then he won't have had enough sleep.
Xx

I only stopped doing it recently when I caught her straining, and i thought she was doing a poop. She then burped, lifter her butt cheek and farted.

didnt think there was much point after that as she had obviously figured out how to get rid of her wind herself! haha

James burps himself lol!

I just give him a quick cuddle [him sitting up though] after a bottle and he'll always have a burp.

xxxx

This is same as Jackson, I rock jackson forward and as he's coming up he will give a long burp then a small one when he's fully sitting. Or I give him a cuddle and he burps over my shoulder. He's been doing it himself since we changed him milk when he was little ?

I sometimes do it out of habbit, plus it relaxes him.

xxxxx

We stopped winding when we started weaning

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back